Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to see what kind of tools you all Masters of the Putty use.

Is there a set that is for sale, you swear by?
Do you use official scuplting tools and if so which ones?

Do you use a toothbrush, a sharpie and a xacto knife?

I'm looking which toold would be best for

smoothing
detailing
carving
gap filling

etc.

Anyone?

·
By the Silver Sword!
713 Posts
The best thing to start off with is the GW sculpting tool. That' got all the basic things you need. to get started with GS. If you don't have that much money, I used to use a blunt disposable craft knife. Admitedly, not as good as the sculpting tool, but it was good enough to ill gaps.

Also, probaly a well known fact by now;
Keep your tools wet

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pickle. This helped tons.

Now to find the LO mag so I can read part 2 >.>

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Yes

I can confirm that patience is a tool. As is just luckily getting it right despite your own ineptitude. I also find that pizza rollers are really useful., Blunt pizza rollers.

I use a stanley knife for gap filling, GW tools for shaping, pins for detailing, random household stuff for imprinting, small stones and cotton cloths for texturing, matchsticks for grain texturing and lots and lots of water.

I hope that helps.

Oh and remember to use layers. Use plenty of layers.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
A GW tool,
a tooth pick
my missus's manacure set (dont tell her)
and an old scalpel

but I believe the best sculpting tools are dentistry tools

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is there a set that is for sale, you swear by?
No.
Do you use official scuplting tools and if so which ones?
Never.
Do you use a toothbrush, a sharpie and a xacto knife?
No, No, Yes.

What do I use: a dentist tool with two flat ends, three different needles set into handles taked from a set of manicure tools (two needles are regular, one small and one large, the third is kind of weird, with an angled, flattened end), two sizes of a certain type of manicure tool, a spike arm of a drafting compass (sawed off), a spatula-shaped tool from another set of manicure tools, and some toothpicks.
This might sound like an eclectic and pretty random selection (which it is), but works for me just fine. Thinking out of the box can be surprisingly useful when looking for sculpting tools.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This might sound like an eclectic and pretty random selection (which it is), but works for me just fine. Thinking out of the box can be surprisingly useful when looking for sculpting tools.

Nono. This is exactly what i'm looking for. I want to know the range of items people find useful when working with the GS. That's exactly what i'm looking for..seems alot of people swear by some tools from a minicure set. I might have to look into them.

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
So far my 3 best tools are A.)Knife B.)Dental Tool C.)Fingers D.)Tongue

The knife is good for making fine lines, fur, and other straight textures. I use the dental tool for scraping and poking. Fingers to put in place and to fill gaps, and using my tongue to make things smooth (saliva is a lubricant, and your tongue won't ever leave a finger print. I can guarantee that ;)) WARNING: GS or other modeling materials may be poisonous. Please check labels, and do this only at your own risk.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jaffar....you amaze me man..

You can love your minis....just don't..."LOVE" your minis..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.