Librarium Online Forums banner

Should there be a project section for modeling?

• Yes, good idea.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No, bad idea.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of a project section for modeling. I know alot of us that are doind conversions would like to post it in there. What are your guys thoughts?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
This is still on page one in this forum: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/site-feedback-support/111219-projects-subforum-modelling.html

Overall not a bad idea, seems like plenty of people want it, but the question is, how often will it actually get used? For army WIP threads, you have converting (sometimes) as well as painting, and more often than not it's just easier to put them into one WIP thread in one forum. I know that if I did a WIP army thread (the most common threads there are for the Projects forum), I'd keep it in the painting forum, as I'd be painting the models to show them off.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2,642 Posts
I asked myself this very question when I started converting my baneblade - I toyed with the notion of started a thread in the modeling section to show the conversions I was working on before any painting happened, but decided in the end that it would just be simpler to keep it all in one thread.

I think one of the main reasons painting has a project forum and modeling doesn't is because, with some exceptions, the painting projects forum is used to show painting progress on an entire army, whereas the perception may be that the modeling thread focuses on one or few figures - though the amount of work that goes into a conversion may be more, perhaps the scope of the work seems smaller, and less like a project than painting an entire army.

For those proponents of a modeling projects forum, I'd like to hear how you think it would be used (what kind of threads would be started and so on). I'm intrigued by the idea.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
I think one of the main reasons painting has a project forum and modeling doesn't is because, with some exceptions, the painting projects forum is used to show painting progress on an entire army, whereas the perception may be that the modeling thread focuses on one or few figures - though the amount of work that goes into a conversion may be more, perhaps the scope of the work seems smaller, and less like a project than painting an entire army.
Ditto.

We also have to be careful about having too many sub-forums that deal with similar topics. While specialization can be good, it can also create undue work on behalf of members, who would then have yet another place they'd have to check, in order to find painting/modeling info. This can also result in reduced exposure of a thread.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2,642 Posts
YEah, thats the thing maybe if we have a main prjects forum not under anything so it can contain both painting anf modelling logs etc etc.
My concern is that a Projects forum removed from the context of being a sub-forum for painting or modelling would be exceptionally prone to misuse. That is, a projects sub-forum in the painting section is clearly for painting projects, whereas a general projects forum could mean writing projects, fluff projects, and so on.

Taking a quick glance through the forum shows me relatively few current WIP threads. Given this, I'd be concerned that a sub-forum would show relatively little activity. As much as a sub-forum might be a good place for people to post their WIP threads for conversions and modelling, taking one forum and making one less-active forum and one barely-active forum might not be for the best.

Since I rarely post to the modelling forum, I'm open to those who do providing an opposing opinion on this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How about instead of calling it the "projects" subforum, you change the title to the modeling guides section (or something along those lines). Thus promoting the idea of more WIP threads on construction of new projects

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I spent a while considering asking for this when I was upgraded to the dizzy heights of mod-hood.

However, my thinking came down very much along the same lines as that of Rabbit and Cyric.
The Painting Projects forum was created mainly (and indeed, almost exclusively used) as a place to keep all the army WIPs in one place, and to allow easy-ish networking between them.

The Modelling forum very, very rarely has anything as on-going as the painting of an entire army, and while it does have several large, and on-going threads (such as jamesessionein(or something)'s Stompa), there are certainly not enough of them to warrant an entire sub-forum, in my opinion.

While I appreciate that there are many WIP threads, they tend to be for one model, or at most a squad, and I think that they slot in nicely next to the completed conversions, suggestions and pleas for help, wheras in painting they were starting to clog up the front page of it, and tended to end up with requests for assistance being forgotten and/or ignored.

Finally, the Modelling forum is comparatively quiet anyway, I feel that adding a sub-forum would merely dilute the traffic it does have.

At the moment I am completely happy with how the 'hobby' section of the site is organised.

-t.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
If I may.
If you are working on something big enough to deserve a projects-thread it, in most cases, consists of both converting- and paintingtasks. And I have never seen anyone complain on a project-thread due to it containing conversions as well as the supposed painting.
So, to me it really doesn't matter.

But... now to something completely different (yet on topic)
How about a kind of usergroup-icon, one of the small ones to keep under the avatar like "subscriber" "enhanced" "blog" etc, that said something like "Projects" where a click would take you to that person's project thread?

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Another idea, still a bit off topic...but not completely.
On the unlinkable WIP invisionfree forum's IG conversion board they have a sticky up top in which they have links to the most requested/searched/awesome threads. How about one of them?
Things
-t said:
(such as jamesessionein(or something)'s Stompa),
would belong there. Not a subforum, but still something...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.