Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been asking around on this forum and it seems that the best option for my Tyrant is wings.

But I'm not sure on what wings to use or exactly where to attatch them.... So if anyone could point me in the right direction or even link me too any previous threads or maybe show me pictures of theres, it would be most appreciated:happy:

I'm sorry if this has been asked many times before....

T.G.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Awww, you have a cute squirrel avatar. If you want wings the Balrog wings are the best you can get. Here is a link to them.

Games Workshop Online Store — Balrog Wings

You can stick these on to the upper arm sockets. You will need to pin them into the sockets. One thing to always consider when dealing with wings is that they are heavy. Also if something bumps them they are due to thier size prone to breaking off. Because of this vunerability you will need to make sure that they are well secured to you Hive tyrant.

I suggest that you use some green stuff to help secure the wing. Once you have glued it on you can squish the green stuff into any gaps and around the area where the wing joins to the Tyrant's body.

To show weapons you can cut the blade off the scything talon arms and glue them on to the wings. I suugest that you cut that 'finger' off the wing and put the blade there. However again you must beware of breaking it. The blade will be vunerable there. You can also look into other ways such as putting devourers there. Winged Hive tyrants work well with devourers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot Leech I think those wings should do just fine ;Y

I'm still wondering if anyone has any pictures that might give me an idea of how this model will look.

And do you think putting devourer tips onto the wings will look good or out of place?

·
Registered
301 Posts
hmm I would say that fantasy dragon wings (the older kind, not thost that ship with the new dragon) are best if the model is sitting on the groud - whilst balrog wings work great if you decided to do a flying pose -- but if you do decided to do a flying pose to not use the hive tyrant model as its high metal content will make it very hard to balance - instead use a carnifex - there are quites a few of these floating around and they look good (essentailly the only major difference is the head)

edit -- I have seen one tyrant with devourer guns on the wing tips - it looked really good (well its was a really good coversion all round) but it can be done.

·
815 Posts
I got the dragon wings awhile back when bwbits still carried them. I'm very happy with them. I just finished up my winged tyrant 3 days ago and I like how it tured out. I'll take some pictures of it and post them.

For attaching, I've seen it done a few different ways. Some people will put them in place of the arms. Others mount them in-line with the arms but a bit back. One of the better placements I've seen was replacing one of the middle "smokestacks" on the tyrant's back. For mine I basically mounted them under the stacks. While my greenstuff modeling on the fig aren't as nice as I would have wanted, I really like how it turned out.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
The biggest problm with balrog wings is the IP issues between LotR and GW products.
So in light of this i've gone stuff it and I've decided to use a fellbeast for my flyrant.

Removed his head, replaced with a Zoanthroape, but a carnifex tailend on it, make a ribcage, add Zoanthroape smokestacks, carnifex claws for feet, the list goes on. It is going to take me a long time... but i'm looking forward to it and looking forward to my GS skills to improve because atm they are quite qustionable.

At the end of all my modding on it I hope it will turn out quite unlike a fellbeast even though the basic body shape will still be there

·
Registered
301 Posts
he looks good and is painted well - though I do see your point about the joint,.

One tyrant I saw the owner had widened the model by adding a block of greenstuff to the insides of both of the shoulder sides of the model before assembling - it worked well to widen out the model for the extra wing muscles

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
I have a flying dakka tyrant. I used the balrog wings mentioned above. What I did was shave off the end that goes to the body until it was a rounded nub and inserted the wing into one of the arm sockets. For the TL Devourers I took an arm (can't remember which one, may have been death spitter) and glued two of the devourer ends the end of the gun so that each arm is a single TL devourer. I'll take some pics this evening (in all it's unpainted, unfinished glory).

What I like most about mine is the fact that my HT still has 6 limbs.

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
I have a flying dakka tyrant. I used the balrog wings mentioned above. What I did was shave off the end that goes to the body until it was a rounded nub and inserted the wing into one of the arm sockets. For the TL Devourers I took an arm (can't remember which one, may have been death spitter) and glued two of the devourer ends the end of the gun so that each arm is a single TL devourer. I'll take some pics this evening (in all it's unpainted, unfinished glory).

What I like most about mine is the fact that my HT still has 6 limbs.
Having seen this very flyrant just this past weekend, I can attest that it does look excellent. Looking forward to the pictures.

Tekore

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
So here it is. Unpainted and not quite finished.

As stated above, I used the balrog wings. These were trimmed down so that the arms will fit into the front sockets.

The dakka guns are of my own design, I'm not sure if I'm done with them or not. Of course this type of design might not work well for a CC tyrant.

Tyrant Front

Tyrant Side

Dakka Arms

I'm happy to field questions as best I can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.