Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to continuosly change my army list, but there are some staples I never leave home without.
I'm now playing something like:

Shas'el, PR, CIB

3 Deathrains
3 Stealths
2 Fireknives

12 FW, Defilfish, DL
12 FW, Devilfish, DL

4 gundrones

3 Hammerheads

Remaining points are usually spent on Kroots+Hounds, or a second HQ, or anything I wish to play.

I've been recently considering some major restyling, in the form of:

Shas'el HQ
Shas'el HQ

Monat Deathrain
Monat Fireknife
3 Stealths or additional Monat with anti-tank

12 FW, Devilfish, DL
12 FW, Devilfish, DL

Piranha, FB, +1ab
Piranha, FB, +1ab
4 Gundrones

Hammerhead
Hammerhead
Ionhead

There are some points left as well.

Imho the second list is a much better "all comers list", but there are a couple of things I'm pretty worried about.

Full Deathrains teams are extremely effective against anything, I love that unit, even if it takes just 1 casualty to force a test. I've never tried such a list, and while I feel safe against highly armoured vehicles, I'm a but worried about massive amounts of light vehicles. With a Deathrains team + 3 Hammerheads it's difficult to find enemy vehicles on the board after turn 3, do you consider 2 Hammersheads + 2 Piranhas + 1 Monat Deathrain + some additional fire from HQs and the other Monat to be ok against such targets ?

With 2 Piranhas I'll definitely use their drones to screen my HQs. Do you think I should drop the 4 Gun Drones from the list ? I like their ability to deepstrike, it won me a couple of games against other shooty armies (I once managed to kill a 5 man unit of Dark Reapers °__° Deepstrike, shot, 2 wounds, failed pinning...on the next turn I scored 3 wounds and he saved none X-D ), but with some tweaking I may try to play a unit of Pathfinders with a Warfish.

Any idea and suggestion will be more then welcome ^__^

·
Registered
105 Posts
My only suggestion is to try at least one heavy slot as 2 broadsides with advance stab system and HWDC with 2 shield drones. I always play at least one unit and they soak up SO many shots that would usually be trying to kill your hammerheads.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why is everyone always so insistent on taking stabilizers on Broadsides? In what situations would you ever want or need a D6" move on those guys?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only suggestion is to try at least one heavy slot as 2 broadsides with advance stab system and HWDC with 2 shield drones. I always play at least one unit and they soak up SO many shots that would usually be trying to kill your hammerheads.
I've been considering Broadsides for a while, the main problem is their static nature.
Both versions of my list rely on mobility, when I started playing Tau I used to field 1 or 2 broadsides and during every single game they were target n°1. Rather then shoting Av12\13 skimmers or chasing JSJ suits, my opponents always fired their heavy weapons to my Broadsides during the first couple of tursn, eventually killing them. If I had a gunline of doom composed by Sniper Drones, 36 FWs etc etc I'd definitely play some Broadsides, but my mech-heavy list leaves them sitting alone behind a building, with a:"We have no friends ç_ç" feeling >_>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hell, their static nature is their point. They have a 72" range, you don't need to move them. You're kind of supposed to plunk them on a hill and let them plug away. Putting them out in the open to allow them a good field of fire is always worth it, with T4 and 2+Sv. Who cares if they get shot at, as long as they're shooting back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.