Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I'm working on putting some LEDs into a monolith and I have some questions regarding the whole circuitry of the beast.

My main concern is of resistors: whether or not I need them. Now, I'll be powering the LEDs with two AAA batteries, resulting in 3V of power. The LEDs I have are green, and therefore command a 2.1 voltage drop over them to light up. This leaves me with .9V in excess running through the diode. My concern is having the LEDs burn out with the extra voltage.

I've tried lighting them straight off of the battery as well as with a 2.2 kOhm resistor. The former resulted in a brilliant LED where the latter resulted in a somewhat lackluster appearance. I'd much rather use them sans-resistor for the visual effect, but if that doesn't seem a wise idea, I'll certainly compromise.

So I'm here to gather wisdom from those of you who have done something like this before or have experience with wiring/circuitry. Do I run the risk of burning out the LEDs with the extra voltage or am I making it more of a concern than it really is? If you were building this project, would you use resistors or not?

Thanks,

Jroode

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
Doesn't Radioshak, Jaycar or any other of a myriad of electronics stores have LED kits? Some of them even allow you to pulse or light the LED's sequentially.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.