Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you teleport troops with a monolith each model is deployed 2 ps from an access point.There is only one access point on a monolith so what happens if you can´t deploy all your models (units with more than 12 models) ? Since the monolith is not a transport vehicle you can´t keep them inside.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
The simple answer is that you can. You can easily fit a 20-man warrior unit out of the portal, and the only things that you can send through the portal are normal base size, or come in very small units.

You can fit them. Remember, all that you need to do is measure from the very edge of the hole (not even the actual portal) at the monolith door, and to the very edge of the model's base. In this instance, 2" is a lot further than you would think.

Trust me, it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Tunisia said:
The simple answer is that you can. You can easily fit a 20-man warrior unit out of the portal, and the only things that you can send through the portal are normal base size, or come in very small units.

You can fit them. Remember, all that you need to do is measure from the very edge of the hole (not even the actual portal) at the monolith door, and to the very edge of the model's base. In this instance, 2" is a lot further than you would think.

Trust me, it works.
I can't see how you can "easily" do it as you indicated. The bases are 1" wide so you can only have two-models deep to be within the 2" disembarkment zone. If the portal is 2" wide then the most you can have is 12 models. If you'rer playing only a part of the base must be within 2" (not how I read the rules) then you can fit a few more if you squeeze them in. I have yet to find a way to deploy a full Warrior squad through the portal and typically just squeeze them as close as possible and take it as a bending of the rules.

I take the meaning of the rule to prevent you from gaining extra movement for desembarking, not as a limit to the number of troops you can disembark at once. So I see no problem bending the rules a tiny bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Tdh6002 said:
Did you even read this thread before responding with a useless link to the FAQ? We all know how troops must deploy from a Monolith, the question was how to place them after they've deployed.

Let me clear it up for those who refuse to read the thread:

If a unit of 20 warriors moves and is then teleported through the monolith they all must be within 2" of the portal opening. Because they have already moved they cannot move further as clearly indicated in the FAQ noted above.

The question is how do you place 20 models with 1" bases into the deployment zone of within 2" of the portal itself?

My hypothesis:
I am assuming the portal itself is 2" wide. I don't have the model handy to measure exactly. So, the area directly in front of the portal is a 2" x 2" square deployment zone. With 20mm bases you should be able to squeeze 5 models into that area with only a tiny bit of the outer four bases outside the 2" range (I think this is legal). The deployment areas to each side of the portal are right triangles with a base and height of 2" each. Since there are 2 triangles this is another 2" square. You should be able to fit another 5 models into that area also. So, now we have only 10 of our required 20 warriors in the 2" deployment zone. I don't see how it can be done legally.

I have noticed anywhere where it indicates if the entire model or just part of it's base must be within 2" of the opening to be correctly deployed. I have never been able to place all 20 Warriors within the deployment zone. I place as many as I can legally and then bunch the rest around them as close as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
I can't see how you can "easily" do it as you indicated. The bases are 1" wide so you can only have two-models deep to be within the 2" disembarkment zone. If the portal is 2" wide then the most you can have is 12 models. If you'rer playing only a part of the base must be within 2" (not how I read the rules) then you can fit a few more if you squeeze them in. I have yet to find a way to deploy a full Warrior squad through the portal and typically just squeeze them as close as possible and take it as a bending of the rules.
Check out the picture of the unit embarking or disembarking at the bottom of pg. 62 of the 40K rule book.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
Did you even read this thread before responding with a useless link to the FAQ? We all know how troops must deploy from a Monolith, the question was how to place them after they've deployed.

.
well yes.. i did, but i misread it :wacko: ,so dont make conclusions before you now the facts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the rules models that cannot disembark are lost.What happens in the case i can t teleport all the models since they not really disembark?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Tdh6002 said:
well yes.. i did, but i misread it :wacko: ,so dont make conclusions before you now the facts
I didn't draw any conclusions. I posted a question, a following statement, and a sarcastic remark. I apologize for the sarcasm. I was actually hoping you had discovered the answer to our question.

Junglemasta,
If what you quote is correct then any Warriors that could not be deployed within the 2" would be lost. I don't have the BGB with me but I think you're referring to when the vehicle is surrounded by the enemy. If you're forced to pile out of your vehicle and can't because of enemy troops in the area or impassable terrain then they're dead. But I don't remember reading anything indicating they also die if they cannot deploy within the 2". This would be ridiculous since the new terminator models (at least GKTs) are on the larger bases thus making it even more difficult to fit them into the deployment zone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
It's doable. I just did it.

I would post pictures, but all of my digi cameras are out of batteries.

It was harder than I thought, and does take time and artful placement, but it can be done.

Easiest solution- take smaller squads. I don't beleive that anyone would want to take 120 warriors and only 1 Lord in any army, so you can take smaller units to send through. The chances are that: A) you are trying to get out of combat. You are likely to have taken at least one casualty here. B) You are trying to get into combat. Anything you particularly want to get your warriors into combat with are things like tau or IG, where you could smash any number of them with 10 warriors. I once had 2 units of guardsmen pumping las at my warrior squad for a couple of turns, before being charged, and i took one casualty. Tau, no casualties in combat. C) You are trying to manouvre your warriors into a better position. In this case, stop being a smart-ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Cool, thanks Tunisia! Now I have to try it although I typically only take squads of 15. If I do it I'll take a pic and post it.

I tried it last night and still couldn't fit all twenty within the 2". I guess I could argue that every model may have had a fraction of their base within 2" but it's still a tough call. The rules don't state clearly what part of the model must be within the 2". Oh well, I'll just have to bend the rules a tiny bit if I ever decide to teleport a full unit of warriors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
In fact, it does clearly state that as long as any part of the model's base is within 2", it counts.

Anyway, you can just tell your opponent that either you can spend 15 minutes doing it properly, or do it in a few seconds with a couple of mm leeway.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top