Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting up a new Necron army (I'm primarily a CSM player) and was wondering what the right decision on Necron heavy choices were. It's obvious to me that I should field at least 1 Monolith as they are incredible units (and very intimidating) and I'm a firm believer in running the max amount of heavy choices (especially in a shooty army). My question is, is it the right choice to run 2 Monoliths and 1 squad of 3 Heavy Destoryers or 1 Monolith and 2 squads of 3 Heavy Destroyers? The rest of my army is going to consist of the C'tan Nightbringer as he seems to be nigh unstoppable, a couple squads of Destroyers and about 3 squads of Warriors.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You seem to have the basics already,although i would never run heavy destroyers because your paying 65 points for 1 lascannon shot that will miss most of the time and isn't worth it.

if your looking for a decent list try this

Nightbringer

10 warriors

10 warriors

10 warriors

Monolith

4 destroyers

4 destroyers

4 destroyers

2 tomb spyders

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do Tomb Spiders usually do? When first reading the codex they just seem like an "okay" unit to me but I could be mistaken. Another question I have is, is there any scenerio (other than saving points) in which a Necron Lord, either on foot or with a destroyer body, would be more beneficial than a C'tan? I've seen the few Necron players in my area using Lords rather than a C'tan and after reading the codex I was wonering if there's a good reason or if they should be locked away somewhere.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I always find having a couple heavy destroyers doesn't hurt. Really can depend on the opponent, however. And if you are going to use them, two squads is the way to go. I feel 2x2 is a better mix as paying up for the third shot is only increasing your efficiency so much at that point. If nothing else they may serve as a distraction. Big guns are still a scary "I gotta kill that first" sort of deal with a good number of players.

They aren't always the most accurate, but they can put down vehicles rather well, and are a great help against terminators and MCs. The thing heavy destroyers have that very few other heavy weapon platforms don't is a highly mobile platform AND solid range. Also they are pretty small considering, so two of them aren't too terrible to find a hiding spot for on a board with proper terrain.

Monolith is, from everything I've ever heard, a great choice for a Necron army, especially over 1.5k.

EDIT: Just read your post so got more to add.

I always find Tomb spyders perform admirably. Go in with the expectation that they will direct fire away from your troops, and they will never disappoint. C'tan are powerful, straightforward and darn intimidating. They aren't always necessary though, depends on how you are using your army. Lords can't go out on 1-man (thing?) killing sprees across the board, but they have far better abilities for supporting your other units. They are a utilitarian leader instead of an aggressive, face-stomping beast.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How do Tomb Spiders usually do? When first reading the codex they just seem like an "okay" unit to me but I could be mistaken. Another question I have is, is there any scenerio (other than saving points) in which a Necron Lord, either on foot or with a destroyer body, would be more beneficial than a C'tan? I've seen the few Necron players in my area using Lords rather than a C'tan and after reading the codex I was wonering if there's a good reason or if they should be locked away somewhere.
C'tan are always good,you don't go wrong with them when you need something to take the hits while the rest of the army does its job.

The problem with Necrons in 5th is they are a army that gets wrecked by assaults,C'tan help combat this problem by going into there lines and breaking everything,although i love the Nightbringer i'm not a fan of his rules,if you wanted a better c'tan for the points go for the Deceiver!,this then lets you have extra points so instead you could drop those 2 tomb spyders for 3 heavy destroyers since you have left over points.

Although res orb lords are good,they just aren't needed because you should have most of your warriors in reserve or cover to stop you from being phased out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.