Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is a monster heavy army viable?

Example with lots of monsters still 311 points to spend for a 2000pts list.

Lord on Dragon - 476
-Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Lance

Beast master on Manticore - 259
-Armour of Darkness, Hand Weapon x2
Beast master on Manticore - 254
-Blood Armour, Hand Weapon x2

10 DE Warriors w/Repeaters -

War Hydra -
War Hydra -

Please do not post points costs of individual units that have no upgrades - GN out

Total 1689

·
Blood & Souls for Khaine!
320 Posts
this should be in the army list forum. And as for it being viable it isn't because its illegal,check the army book about beastmasters and manticores.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed thanks for pointing that out. I missed the fact that beastmasters on manticore counts as 2 hero choices. but that does not really answer my question of, is a monster heavy army viable. I have not seen any lists that use multiple hydras and a dragon.

no specific list other than using as much monsters as you can. this pretty much means no repeater bolt throwers...

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Indeed thanks for pointing that out. I missed the fact that beastmasters on manticore counts as 2 hero choices. but that does not really answer my question of, is a monster heavy army viable. I have not seen any lists that use multiple hydras and a dragon.

no specific list other than using as much monsters as you can. this pretty much means no repeater bolt throwers...
The reason that you don't really see many monster heavy lists is because of their limited effectiveness. RBTs are a bit expensive but perform exceptionally well in their role. For this reason they take priority over the potentially vulnerable hydra.

However, since you have 2 of them and a host of other monsters, the enemy will have to prioritise his shooting. I haven't had much experience with anything other than conventional infantry based lists but I suppose it could work.

The large number of terror causing models is quite handy against certain armies but I see this list much like a chariot list. You have to break your enemy on the turn that you charge as you don't really have much staying power.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts

the problem is not whether it is viable or not, but whether you can find someone to play you or not. Taking a whole bunch of terror causing flyers and multiwound fear causing units is not a good way to make friends or find people to play you again. Personally, I think you'll win a couple of battles and then get blasted by an opponent with decent shooting or magic. Think how multiple bolt throwers/cannons hitting on 2's will affect your dragon or manticore or the guy riding it. You'll be lucky if you last more than one turn depending on terrain and such. Several spells make your dragon sit still and sniff flowers while the rest of your army gets mowed down, or has your terror causers charged in the flank by a fully ranked unit.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
*Activates ninja teleporter to take this to the correct forum area*

First of all, I would suggest getting the update on the points costs of Dark Elves from the Games Workshop main site, as your points costs for the units are 20pts over priced at the moment.

You need to make this army up to 2000pts, to include a lord. As to its viability, it is not great to have a monster based list, as you are cannon fodder. If you can use items to deflect this kind of firepower, then you can use it. But any army that can bring a decent amount of firepower to bear will smash you to bits.

If you do it, make your force mobile, so lots of cavalry and chariots to move you across the board as fast as possible, to make your opponent have too many dangerous targets to shoot at.

Just my thoughts

ninja out

·
Registered
61 Posts
"the problem is not whether it is viable or not, but whether you can find someone to play you or not. Taking a whole bunch of terror causing flyers and multiwound fear causing units is not a good way to make friends or find people to play you again."

Hah, very good point.

Add Chariots and some Dark Riders so you are still highly mobile and drop out a Hydra. (just my 2 cents)

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
Can i get one of those?:rofl
Depends. If you stop spamming a list thread, just because I have done something cool, and behave, maybe one day you can also get hold of mod powers.....

You will have to wrestle them from my cold dead fingers... but you get the drift.

ninja out

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is a monster heavy army viable?

Example with lots of monsters still 311 points to spend for a 2000pts list.

Lord on Dragon - 476
-Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, Lance

Beast master on Manticore - 259
-Armour of Darkness, Hand Weapon x2
Beast master on Manticore - 254
-Blood Armour, Hand Weapon x2

War Hydra -
War Hydra -

correct mne if I am wrong but doesn't the manticore act as a second hero choice for the character, if so, you my be using too much for the 2000pts list

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.