Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am wondering whether or not i should continue adding to my Imperial Guard army, or if i should start a new army altogether like Choas :ph34r:

My current army contains:
HQ: 3 Command Squads (Heroic Senior Officer, 2 Junior Officers), 3 Commissars, 2 Sanctioned Psykers, Commissar Yarrick, Nork Deddog (2nd ed.).
Troops:60 guardsmen, 2 Chimeras.
Both: Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers (15 models), *3 heavy bolters, *3 autocannons, *3 mortars, * 4 lascannons, *3 missile launchers.
Heavy Support: 2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks, 1 Basilisk, 1 Leman Russ Demolisher.
Fast attack: 2 Hellhounds, 20 Rough Riders, 2 Sentinels.
Elite: 10 Ratlings. All 4 Assassins.

What are your opinions guys and gals? What i could possibly add to this army that wouldnt just be for show B)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion Llama. It would be nice to actually use Storm Trooper models rather than using regular Guardsmen all the time :)

Thanks Llama. :)

168 Posts
Dude, it's up to you. I'd add more becuase, no offense or anything, but your force looks kinda vanilla. I wouldn't change becuase with the new doctrines, just when you thought guard was getting boring, you can make your force be whatever you want. I'd stick with IG. Oh, and one more thing, don't listen to Jackass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Sergei Mikhailavich Gorbachev, thanks for the input. I know the choice is up to me, that is obvious as I started the thread asking for opinions rather than answers. :) I generally find that it is good practice to ask other people's opinions so I can view the topic from another perspective, such as your own. Often the viewpoints other people take I will never have considered initially or at any time in the future.

I do not understand, however, what do you mean by vanilla. I know the term means bland or regular, but since I own 22 of the 27 possible units for my army I do not see what I am missing in order to create a varied force. Perhaps you mean I need for more infantry or something as it is the only area I cannot max-out in the force selection slots. If you could be more specific about vanilla and what you think I could add that would be much more helpful. :)

168 Posts
Don't be offended, theres nothing wrong with 'vanilla'.

Well, you've got my opinion. :D Vanilla - lets see. I mean it's a lot of what everyone gets. Maybe you have some cool conversions, but if not, get something to add spunk to your army. Maybe some forge world, or some kick ass converting. Doctrines to customize your force. Maybe you'll think of some fluff and make them allied with SoB. Something interesting like that. Make head swaps for things like hardend veteran squads. Make a mounted Commisar. Experienced players love things like that, as it makes your army unique, interesting, and fun to play.

I'm also amazed at your self-restraint in the category of Elites. Should be coming to an end about.... now! Get yourself some storm troopers, do some converting with basic infantry and make hardened veterans out of standard converted infantry.

Kasrkin use the ST statline. They can't DS or infiltrate though.

BTW: Reavered: What type of IG do you play? I'd reccomend getting some of the other kind for head swaps and the like.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I played Valhallans in the second edition but i changed to Cadians because of the cheap plastics.

Head swapping sounds good :) I guess my lack of Elites comes from my obsession with armour.

A Forge World model would be great but its VERY expensive since i live in Australia.

Storm Troopers will be my next move i tihnk, or possibly some Ogryns :)

168 Posts
Sigh. Poor Aussies.

Anyway, some elites would be good, and if you like armor so much get a chimera! They're the best transport in the game...

Forgeworld, eh. Well, it'll give you something to put on your christmas list. :p

Speaking of head swapping I have been e-mailing GW about making head swaps for IG. They make them for marines every week! What really *****ed me off was when they said they were going to make plastic termies. Come on! Who uses more then 10?

179 Posts
dunno how much forge world is in australia but they got a baneblade/shadowsword converison kit on ebay right now. its the tank body but you dont glue the top on cause its got some kinda snaps/slots and you can interchange between which one you want per game! looks pimp to me and is round 40ish US dollars

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Games Workshop sure does love their Space Marines. I suppose it is because so many people collect them, and they are trying to keep the most people happy as possible.

As for Ebay, haven't you noticed my favourite sentence?

"Will ship to United States and Canada only" :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
use some storm troopers and ogryns are just buy a new armie it just is your choise i have two armies ig and necrons they rock :lol:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yuck Necrons. I think they would be fun to play but everyone thinks they are lame because of the wwb ability.

If i did get another army (not as likely now), i would probably get Sisters Of Battle since they apper to be getting a lot of new models over the coming months. And if i could the SOB and IG armies together that wouldnt be so bad either! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You bloody Heretic, how dare you say the name Chaos in the same sentence as the MIGHT OF THE IMPERIAL GUARD. As your most readily allied Space Marine Commander, i highly recommend you go to one of my Chaplains and tell him what you said. Other than that stick with I.G mate, your obsessed with Armour and no other Army in the game could quench your thirst like the I.G. Except for maybe when they release Codex:Adeptus Mechanicus .....hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL dude... (nup nup nup)..., funny, why don't you go and glue your Lictor back together. :lol:

The only reason i consider Chaos is because you have Nids and no one else has Chaos anymore. Chaos is the direct opposite of the IG. They are Elite, close combat oriented, not giving the Emperor any love. I can't imagine Jared getting into the game, as he hasnt seemed to take an immediate interest in it really.

Excluding the armies which people already have:
Tau are too much like the IG.
Necron are too simple concerning strategy.
Dark Eldar do not really interest me.
Blood Angels (love em), Salamanders, Black Templars etc are all Space Marines, which you have.
Chaos sound good. They are the opposite to my army and no one has them.
Sisters could be a vaslid choice if they get a good Codex sooner or later.
Grey Knights would be great but they are so expensive. Cool though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could always get some more sentinels. As it is now, you don't even have a full squad. If you get one more, you can field all three and a hell hound or a squad of rough riders while having the sentinels in separate units: one in the HQ, one each in two FA-choices and then you got one FA-choice left to put RR or the HH in. :)

Don't miss out on the small conversion chance here... if you use open topped sentinels you can quickly turn the pilot into a Cadian with a headswap (use the comlink operator heads from the Cadian sprues) and then cut off the shoulder pads of a pair of arms (i used the grenade launcher arms' shoulder pads), hollow them out so you have just the pads and apply them to the pilots shoulders. Looks great for no effort at all! I'd show you a pic if I could just remember to snatch the digicam from work with me home for an evening sometime soon. :)

I'd also like to pimp to you the idea of a veteran guardsman with the honorifica and stuff in the CHQ. Something fun to add flavour and oomph to your force.

I also agree with the ppl who go "stormies!"... Use the Kasrkin models as Stormtroopers, it's the same unit anyways.

How about an armoured fist unit or two made up of models from a different regiment than your standard one?

/Phreedh

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have 2 of the 'old' Sentinels. They are all old metal and have Cadians in them already. :)

"How about an armoured fist unit or two made up of models from a different regiment than your standard one?"

I already do that with my old Valhallans actually. Either that or Conscripts.

Storm Troopers or Chaos!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.