Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've now finished the Hunter that I acquired recently. I experimented with tinting the metallics using glazes and washes. He's just table-top but I'm quite pleased with how he turned out, only took around 5hrs to finish, not including assembly.

apologies for the photos being a bit dodgy

Comments and criticisms are more than welcome, they are even asked for...

·
Wher dat naked blue chik?
1,646 Posts
Ok please stop saying that is table top quality. Either you are a very modest DiVinci, or you are fishing for compliments.

If that only took you 5 hours, then I suggest you enter some speed painting contests. You would win hands down.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm definitely not fishing for compliments. I just figure that its nowhere near the quality I can paint to, and there are messy parts that you probably can't see in the photos. Therefore table top. I dunno maybe I class table top differently to most people.

Its definitely not golden demon anyway.

·
Forward Kommander
1,005 Posts
Hey Solo, nice looking hunter... even if you think its table-top quality. I really like how the metallics turned out, especially the gold (as I have problems with gold myself). What did you use for it?

Did you also ink the blue? It kinda looks like it on my computer... just wondering :?

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks blood_blade :)

I started off with a layer of regal blue over all the blue bits, then built painted thinned down enchanted blue onto the raised parts, then mixed a bit of ice blue in and did another layer on top of that. To get the blending looking okay and still being quick, I feather the edges, dragging the paint away from the darker colours, to the area of lighter colour. This gives a very thin layer, on the transition, fading into the next colour.

I used regal blue, heavily thinned on the little shoulder plate things, everything else was okay.

its hard to see but on some of the blues, I gave it a glaze of a mixture of flesh wash and scaly green, real thin again. hope that helps :)

·
554 Posts
Well I have never played this game but I can see it being fairly easy to paint up these models in 5 hours. There is not much detail at all and if I remember correctly that guy is not a small model so not much tiny detail on him.

The problem with simpler models like this that do not have tons of detail on them is that if you mess up something it tends to really stand out but you have done a great job. Just a simple 3 color armor for depth, and gold/silver work is clean and not in your face I like it.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Borat said:
Verra niiiiiiiiice!
Seriously, nice job. I just bought a ton of Cygnar stuff, and if I ever get over this flu, I'll start painting and posting too!

To get the blending looking okay and still being quick, I feather the edges, dragging the paint away from the darker colours, to the area of lighter colour. This gives a very thin layer, on the transition, fading into the next colour.
Could you explain this technique a little more? I know it's tough without showing it, but it really seems to work for you here, and I'd like to give it a shot.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Yay, more WM!
Very nice work on this one, and I agree that this is only TT quality since I would like to see even more area highlightning on the blue to make it stand out a bit more and take it into the more impressive categories.

·
Formerly C/-Rt3r
833 Posts
I am liking the golds. The silveri dont think works too well but it is nice to see experimentation. The blue is expertly done as well.

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Canew - Its something I seem to have got better at over the years, and needs a bit of practice to get right. But I'm pleased with the results it gives, for the time it takes, but I definitely wouldn't use it on competition pieces.

Starting from an area of dark colour for the shade (in this case Regal Blue) you paint away from the dark area towards the area you want the lighter colour (in this case, enchanted blue with a bit of ice blue). You still need to get the line of colour smooth, but this just takes a bit of fiddling.

Make sure you water your paint down a bit, and its probably okay to have a fair bit of paint on the brush (though this is the only time I would condone it).

When you draw the paint away from the darker area towards the light, it leaves a trail behind it, which if the paint is thin enough, will have traces of the pigment in it. This tints the dark area and (as the "trail" progresses) gradually builds up pigment til the colour is at the the point where it is just the lighter colour.

I hope this sort of explains it. Just try on a flat surface first, load your brush with the lighter colour (thinned of course) and pass it from left to right on the dark colour. If the consistency is okay, at the beginning of the stroke you should see the original colour, with a layer of what appears to be basically just clear water, fading up to the colour you just put down, further along the stroke.

Let me know how you go :)

and @Camel, I know what you mean about the highlights, that'd exactly why I called him table top :) to take it to the next level, I would detail all the metallics neatly, and start blending with them, and add finer edge highlights to the blue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts