Librarium Online Forums banner

Mortis pattern Dread in a SM army?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No, it is a sub-par choice.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Only in a specific army type (please explain).

Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I did my search, and although there are threads talking about Dreads in general, and in relation to a specific list, there is not one, general discussion like that – or I did not find it).

Mortis Dreadnought. It used to be only for the Forgeworld aficionados, the resin-crack lovers. But now, with the new Army Books and the Aegis Defense Line mods, it is both legal and more affordable. Having one of mine planned two conversions done, I started looking at possible ways to include that bad boy in my biker lists.

Perhaps not the most economical way to purchase 4 auto cannon shots a turn, but for some armies/builds it might just work as a light transport/high-T infantry killer.

So to all of you that use the Mortis pattern Dreads:

- What is your experience with them?
- What are the armies that these work with?
- What lists would benefit from their presence?
- Are two much better than one, are three an “overkill” or dependably demolishing enemy transports?
- What is their downfall, besides CC attack which are probably an easy way to dispatch them… ?

Thanks for sharing from all the Mortis-newbies!

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
I have been using them since the vanilla book came out 2 years ago. I converted mine from the Lascannon dreadnought arm by swapping them for IG autocannons. Simple and looks great. My opponents seem to never shoot at them for one simple reason. There is nothing scary about them, my Long Fangs or Vindicators are a much higher priority target. Because of this, my Mortis usually is still standing by the end of the game, and has atleast 3 transport kills under his belt.

Any army really. There are a few Vanilla builds that this doesn't work to well with such as the omg sternguard! and Bike lists.

Any Shooty army. They work well in conjunction with Long Fangs/Devs. Use you Morits to destroy transports, and the Long Fangs to destroy the heavier armor.

- Are two much better than one, are three an “overkill” or dependably demolishing enemy transports?
I have used 2 in the same list only once, and it didn't wow me. My 40k motto is "If it works, take two" but in the case of the Mortis, only take two if you have nothing else to spend the points on.

- What is their downfall, besides CC attack which are probably an easy way to dispatch them… ?
Obviously the strength of the Autocannon is the main problem. While it is gruesomely effective against Rhino's and virtually any side and rear armor in the game, it just doesn't do well against AV 12+

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This type of Dreadnaught can fit any basic build, it will not fit very well with a Bikewr list though as it lacks speed and the Land Speeder Typhoon preforms the same basic role.

Isn't this the same question you just asked?

Two are definately better than one and depending on the size of the game 3 could be over kill. At the 1500 point limit I would say 2, at 2000 I would go 3 and in between either could work well.

In my opinion their biggest down fall OTHER than the close combat attacks is heir prey. Should your opponent not feild any or many transports then your Dreadnaught will find it very hard to get its points back. Even if they do you are in all odds gunning for 35-65 point vehicles and can find it very difficult to repay this investment.

Thanks for sharing from all the Mortis-newbies!
Taken straight from my in progress Dreadnaught Tactica found in my blog is the math-hammered results for a single Twin- Linked Autocannon. Keep in mind you double all results found here as you will have 2 Autocannons instead of just one.

AV 10- 0.296 Glance 0.889 Penetrate
AV 11- 0.296 Glance 0.593 Penetrate
AV 12- 0.296 Glance 0.296 Penetrate
AV 13- 0.296 Glance 0 Penetrate
AV 14- 0 Glance 0 Penetrate

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Even if they do you are in all odds gunning for 35-65 point vehicles and can find it very difficult to repay this investment.
It's not the points they take down that matters. They are in effect, cutting your opponents mobilty down to 0. This in my book is Priceless. Also they are allowing you to bring your anti-troop weaponry such as Plasma Cannons to bare by gutting the transport and spilling out its cargo.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is the duel TL Autocannon dread not known as the 'Rifleman' configuration? I haven't heard of Mortis before.

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
Mortis is the "Actually" Space Marine designation. Riflemen is what the players call it.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It's not just good against transports...but also against all sorts of skimmers. I'd rather shoot at a tau or eldar vehicle with a pair of twinlinked autocannons than with a single godhammer or melta gun. And when no really juicy targets present themselves, there's never anything wrong with four extra S7 shots.

·
Registered
658 Posts
3 or 4 S7 hits is always good.

Transports, as shown by Mr Biscuits mathhammer, can be weakened by these significantly (times all those results by two and its harsh).
MCs suffer the most, forcing lots of wounds on things that are T6/7 with only a 3+ armour normally (thats 1 or 2 wounds).
Troops, well its 4 orks dead.

The best thing about the rifleman/mortis is that it can move and fire, so you can create oppurtune lanes of fire, or retreat from an enemy whilst firing (I killed a nurgle daemon prince like this).

Personally, I prefer an assualt cannon and TL autocannon. S6 and 7 are essentially the same (normally 1/6 harder to do something but still wounding on 2s against T4) and the assualt cannon can rend. This ability makes it awesome against transports (I normally get a rend), better against elite troops and I even nearly killed a landraider with it (unfortunately it passed its cover safe).

Finally, I'll never forget the time my TL autocannon + assualt cannon dred (125pts) caused a wound on fateweaver (3XX pts) -with the autocannon- he failed his 3+ invulnerable with rerolls and then was forced to take a leadership test or die (special rule of his). He failed...
(of course in the same game a squad of avengers killed lysander in combat (he'd already lost two wounds but still), and so it was pretty messed up).

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
blech! S6 and S7 aren't at all the same (ask me how many rhinos I've killed with my multilasers!), and the range mismatch is severe!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say something like: S6 and 7 are the same against most troop types and against anything tougher rending makes up for the one less strength.

24"/48" is bad, but its no worse than a missile launcher in a combat-squadded space marine squad. And anyway, its a dreadnought, even without a DCCW it should be advancing with your line (also, the two I run sometimes accompany my 3 vindicators so 24" is kinda my killing ground 48" range is to slow half their army down so it rushes into your army in 2 seperate pieces, well it is for space marines anyway).

I agree though, the rifleman is very good just because the weapons work so well together.

p.s. Its funny, but if my opponents get a weapon destroyed result they always chose the assualt cannon. Probably because of its versatile role despite being shorter range than the autocannon.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts