Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about eventually making a Kan Wall list (because it sounds like a a bunch of fun) but those models are so friggin expensive! It'd be about $225 USD to get 9 of those little guys... Screw that. I want to make my own. I was thinking about picking up a bunch of dread legs from some bitz sites, using 1" PVC pipe sections for the bodies (with some plasticard and corrugated cardboard bits thrown on there), and some buzz saws from GW ($8.25 a piece, I think). I haven't started modelling yet and would like some input from those of you who have tried making your own Kanz. Is there a better way? Are there any links to tutorials, pics, etc. you'd like to share? Any input would be appreciated (unless you're going to tell me that Kanz are bad, because I don't want to hear it :) ).

:knife:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sounds awesome!
I think thats a really good idea, as orks can be cheap in points, but expensive in real money....
I did the same thing with a battlewagon, and i turned out pretty good in my opinion.
The only real bit of advice of got is to make them look "orky", I'd put a few Imperial pieces on the models, maybe a few sentinal pieces. As well as the buzzsaw kits, you could also use Ork Rokkitz | Games Workshop
and
More Dakka | Games Workshop

·
2,399 Posts
Plasticard boxes with plasticard tubes. One of my mates has got about 20 and they look real good. (Invest in a tiny hole punch to make rivets though) He makes the boxes, rivets them, adds a view slit (like a letterbox) and does hydraulic piston legs and plasticard "dreadnaught" feet (or random stuff like a unicycle using a marine bike wheel)
Strip bits boxes for weapons / gubbinz.
that little touch makes them good.
P.s. I found a dirty apocalypse stratagem against them - minefields. on a 1 you're immobalised, and as a squadron remove the model. A 6" wide strip will do 2-3 runs per walker (don't run them you fool!) It's the only time i've charged ratlings - into their rear so they ran back through it!

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
You might want to find the cheapest paper shredder you can get and tear it apart for bitz - there's gears, screws, shafts, and best of all, plenty of (not actually sharp) shredder blades that look like they ought to make some really nasty spinny discs 'o doom!

·
You Can't Kill the Metal
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@thegreat1: I definitely think you're right about the imperial symbols... I saw a lot of different conversions online and a lot of them feel like they're missing something. I think that's what they're missing.

@fallvictim: That'd be great! I'd really like to see how those turned out.

@stayscruncyinmilk: I've been trying to find a tiny hole punch for that very reason... Haven't had much luck though. I like the idea of the unicycles too. How f'n awesome would it be to have the whole lot of Kans on unicycles, or pogo sticks, or something (it might be easier and cheaper to model too!).

@wraith: That's one of the most clever things I've heard. I bet you could make some really gnarly looking dread weapons with all those bits.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
@stayscruncyinmilk: I've been trying to find a tiny hole punch for that very reason... Haven't had much luck though. I like the idea of the unicycles too. How f'n awesome would it be to have the whole lot of Kans on unicycles, or pogo sticks, or something (it might be easier and cheaper to model too!).
Not exactly a cheap option, but this punch is one of the few I've ever seen that punches rivets and holes at a decent "model scale". I've got one myself, works like a charm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.