Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tragically my brother has a miniature addiction. I got my first miniatures 14 years ago and have one army, now working on my second.

He started 2 years ago and has:
Tyrinids, Eldar, LatD, EC, Tzeentch, Death Guard, Khorne, Black LEgion, IG, Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, Tau, High Elves, Lizardmen, Dark ELves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Harlequins, Necrons, Beasts of Chaos, Chaos. Maybe more, I might be forgetting some.

And He doesn't just have, for example, Eldar, He has a Titan and about 14,000 points of Eldar. An IG plane, Baneblade, Shadowsword.

Is this a record? I think it has to be, if not for the sheer amount of miniatures, but the sheer amount of miniatures collected in a 2 year period.

And you know what? I decided to start that second army of mine about a month ago, and asked him to help me find some good deals. So a Forgeworld Slaanesh Keeper of Secrets comes along. He tells me about it. So I'm like,
"120 buck huh, do you think I should get it?"

He says, "No, you can't because I'm going to!"

C'mon now, give me a break. I asked him if he had any extra EC he would even sell me and he wouldn't part with a single one! THat's gotta be an addiction.:wacko:

And last but not least the one army I have and have had since I started is Space Marines. I have told him, get what you want, but you can't get Space Marines. So get this, he tells me the other day he's getting Space Marines. Pssssh!

·
Registered
229 Posts
yes,,,,yes, your brother is addicted to miniatures.

if he painted all those miniatures in 2 years, then he is:

a) his painting must be pretty bad

b) he has alot of spare time in his hands

c) he is damn rich

d)all of the above

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's an unholy amount of minis! :O If that was MY brother, let's just say his collection would be HEAVILY borrowed from. I'd also get after him for being a stingy, selfish jerk. I'm not saying to get a 50 gallon drum of brake fluid and have his minis have a pool party in it (though if you did, that would be kinda mean, but VERY funny...at least to me, but I'm evil. :tongue: ) or anything like that, but maybe have him watch "A Christmas Carol" or something and have him see what happens when you're selfish your whole life.

PS: How did he afford all those mini's in just two years?...That's got be like a few thousand dollars in GW products!

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Wow...not even im that bad....I'd admit I'd have a lot of minatures if I could afford more but probally not that much. That must've cost a fortune.

Ben

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, that is far too many. I do believe hitting your brother with a very heavy object would be a reasonable course of action. As for him buying Marines, if he so much as buys a tactical squad, I would start buying whatever army he throughly enjoys, see how he likes it.

What a selfish prat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is quite a few minis, but to be quite honest, it's not surprising since i mean face it, we're all mini freaks! :) WHat is surprising that he got it all painted. I have been playing 40K for around 3 years now and have collected around 4 large armies. However, I've only partially finished one and am starting to put the second together. The are unassembled in my closet! True I am maticulous and do a heavy amount of conversion.
Eldar Titan for 120 dollars. what? who? where?

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
He must be insanely rich to afford a whole army of each of the armies you mentioned... Has he painted them all or is he just a power gamer...?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the only ones he painted so far, and he has done a good job of it, conversions and everything, are about 4000 points of chaos.

And the eldar titan, I don't know how much that cost, it was a Forgeworld Keeper of Secrets that was normally 150, but he got for 120, that I wanted for my new army.

And for your idea just collect his favourite, can't do, he doesn't have a favourite, so basically any I collect, like Slaanesh, he already has. And it's not looking good. He already has for Space Marines:

2 Whirlwinds, 3 Dreadnaughts, Rhino, PRedator, 2 tac squads and Termies. Maybe more. I don't know, it's not good. My one army man. Had em 14 years. Not good.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Im bad but not that bad. If I had enough money then I'd have every 40k army exept DE and Orks. For soem reason they just don't appear to me. But still im not even as bad as your brother!

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is incredible, 14 000 points..... and a titan!
I thought I was bad, but thats nearly 25 armies!!

I wonder if there is counselling for 40k addiction...

HPA

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Altough not parting with his current miniatures isn't anything surprising. I might barely have 2500 pts worth of _everything_ I have painted and assembled (and about 5000 or so in those that I haven't... yet), but I would never - ever - let anyone take/buy/borrow them. They are like children to me, in a twisted sense of way..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uggh, I've just seen him on bartertown trying to snatch up all the Space Marine stuff. Is it just me? Am I somehow wrong to ask him not to collect this one army? I mean, does someone really need every single army made? They just sit in boxes collecting dust anyways. What's the point? It would take him probably 15 years to paint what he has now. Maybe more, seeing as at his rate he has only painted like 4000 pts. of Chaos in 2 years. These are toys and toys need to be played with. They are not baseball cards. I mean he said he has the RIGHT to collect any army he wants, but what right? Where do you even come up with something like that? Rights under GOD? Rights under international law?:rolleyes: , well, you know, you don't sleep with your brothers girlfriend do you? So the way I see it you don't collect his miniatures either. If I was to start a new army and he said

"man, Khorne is my main army, just don't get them OK?"

I would totally not even think about it. PO'D man.

·
Registered
98 Posts
lol, sucks for u man, when me and my friend were starting up, he was like that with sm's(my army)
then, he was like your brother, collecting all kinds of army's, but unlike your brother he doesnt have the funds, so he basicly scared himself away from the hobby, especially since he spent money for 5 different codex's, and models from 6 different army's.

sucks for me though, cause he never had a playable force( well, worth playing, 300 points at most), plus his dad helped us build a table, and payed for the whole thing, but he has the table and probably wont give it to me.:cry:

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
northoceanbeach said:
Uggh, I've just seen him on bartertown trying to snatch up all the Space Marine stuff. Is it just me? Am I somehow wrong to ask him not to collect this one army? I mean, does someone really need every single army made? They just sit in boxes collecting dust anyways. What's the point? It would take him probably 15 years to paint what he has now. Maybe more, seeing as at his rate he has only painted like 4000 pts. of Chaos in 2 years. These are toys and toys need to be played with. They are not baseball cards. I mean he said he has the RIGHT to collect any army he wants, but what right? Where do you even come up with something like that? Rights under GOD? Rights under international law?:rolleyes: , well, you know, you don't sleep with your brothers girlfriend do you? So the way I see it you don't collect his miniatures either. If I was to start a new army and he said

"man, Khorne is my main army, just don't get them OK?"

I would totally not even think about it. PO'D man.

I am really not seeing the problem here. What does it matter what army your brother collects? Seems to me that if you play against your brother it doesn't really matter what army you have as he should have an opponent for you right?!?

Your brother must not have many real world responsibilites or is wealthy to spend so much money on the hobby in such a short amount of time! :) Cool for him though... right.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
guy i playw ith has 9 40k armies and 4 fantasy armies, plus i dont know how many epic and battlefleet gothic. thats just his gw minis.
all in all he has aorund 20k mini's as estimated by him.
all assembled and painted by him also, hes in his 40's though.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
guy i playw ith has 9 40k armies and 4 fantasy armies, plus i dont know how many epic and battlefleet gothic. thats just his gw minis.
all in all he has aorund 20k mini's as estimated by him.
all assembled and painted by him also, hes in his 40's though.
20k..jeeze...that's a LOT of models! :O

Ben

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
northoceanbeach said:
Tragically my brother has a miniature addiction. I got my first miniatures 14 years ago and have one army, now working on my second.

He started 2 years ago and has:
Tyrinids, Eldar, LatD, EC, Tzeentch, Death Guard, Khorne, Black LEgion, IG, Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, Tau, High Elves, Lizardmen, Dark ELves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Harlequins, Necrons, Beasts of Chaos, Chaos. Maybe more, I might be forgetting some.

And He doesn't just have, for example, Eldar, He has a Titan and about 14,000 points of Eldar. An IG plane, Baneblade, Shadowsword.

Is this a record? I think it has to be, if not for the sheer amount of miniatures, but the sheer amount of miniatures collected in a 2 year period.

And you know what? I decided to start that second army of mine about a month ago, and asked him to help me find some good deals. So a Forgeworld Slaanesh Keeper of Secrets comes along. He tells me about it. So I'm like,
"120 buck huh, do you think I should get it?"

He says, "No, you can't because I'm going to!"

C'mon now, give me a break. I asked him if he had any extra EC he would even sell me and he wouldn't part with a single one! THat's gotta be an addiction.:wacko:

And last but not least the one army I have and have had since I started is Space Marines. I have told him, get what you want, but you can't get Space Marines. So get this, he tells me the other day he's getting Space Marines. Pssssh!

He needs to get laid! I mean, it pains me to see how much money ive spent on this game with only three armies and that i dont play any other tabletop games.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, believe it, he likes miniatures. He's 23. He gets em off ebay and stuff though, and I doubt he's spent more than 50 bucks at a GW store.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts