Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading the SW verson of this it made me wonder

What would you say is your best performing unit - please dont just say a troop choice cos they can win games by taking points.
I mean in battle, doing their job in a game what unit do you think has performed best for you.

Mine comes down to two.

LRC - Does very well in moving my termi's around and giving them the extra attack, althought shooting itself has never produced great results it does always worry the enemy. Although it is the termi's which deal out a lot of pain i feel they could never do anywhere as good without the LRC, oh and i dont like the normal LR.

Drop podding liberian. Usually attached to a unit like sternguards. I find he himself does every well, but choosing the right powers before hand is important - im still experiementing with which type to use.

So i would say i choose LRC cos i never go to battle without it by choice ( i.e. dont have a choice about tacticals)

OTHER Than tacticals which one unit would you have in your army - any army over 1K

When building a list in the back of your mind you will always have a couple of things that must be included - other than tacticals

i.e i will always have a LRC with assult termi's inside - the number and if a hq will go with is an after thought but i will usually always have the LRC.

Please just one unit slot - i.e the LRC with the termi's does only take 1 eliet slot.

please stop listing best thing for this best thing for that.

·
1,880 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Honestly I'm too new to contribute to this (just started marines). I think people should look at it from the point of which unit earns the MOST kills (points) back for its buck.

With my Necrons it's my Deceiver...he always earns more than he costs and then some.

Just looking at the Space Marine codex I would almost say a predator but only for high threat things (tanks & MC's). Autocannon plus a couple of lascannons on the side seems pretty CHEAP for what the points cost is. But I admit it doesn't have HORDE stopping power. So that might be another classification.

Best HORDE unit:
Best TANK/MC unit:
Best OVERALL (well rounded):

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wondering the same thing. Honestly I'm too new to contribute to this (just started marines). I think people should look at it from the point of which unit earns the MOST kills (points) back for its buck.

With my Necrons it's my Deceiver...he always earns more than he costs and then some.

Just looking at the Space Marine codex I would almost say a predator but only for high threat things (tanks & MC's). Autocannon plus a couple of lascannons on the side seems pretty CHEAP for what the points cost is. But I admit it doesn't have HORDE stopping power. So that might be another classification.

Best HORDE unit:
Best TANK/MC unit:
Best OVERALL (well rounded):
I think the deceiver depends on who you play. If you play me - yours would never make the points back as i usually always play a sternguard unit with lib in a drop pod - so they would come down and kill it first turn. (prob take a lot of casualties next turn tho)
I use the same pred.

I mostly play Deamons and necs atm (against them)

I agree with killing points compared to how much it cost but its not just that. Some units never earn their points back but they allow another unit to do a hell of a lot of damage - like my LR does or like say Phiranas do for tau ( they are there to distract, block and anoy. as well as being able to kill if the shot comes up)

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Tac Squads in Rhinos: Cheap, versatile, scoring. Bread and butter.

MM/HF Speeders: Cheap, versatile, speedy. Can hit anything anywhere and make it hurt.

Dakka Preds (AC/HB): Cheap, versatile, shooty. Can nail pretty much anything short of AV14 with a ton of shots for crazy cheap.

Librarian w/ Null Zone: Cheap, great psychic defense, and awesome for nailing powerful units with invulnerable saves. Force Weapon will be gravy when the new bugs show up.

TH/SS Termies: Best assault unit in the game for a fraction of the cost of other similar super units.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Best HORDE unit: None. Marines don't really do horde.

Best TANK/MC unit: Land Raider, though which version depends on what you want it to do

Best OVERALL (well rounded): Bikes or Sternguard. Both very capable and effective. Give the Sgt a powerfist and you're set.

and adding a couple more...

Best MC/IC killer: Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles (preferably w/ Telion). Though only 25% will go through, add rending and pinning to the mix and it is more than worth it.

Best Tank Hunter: Probably Dreadnaughts out of pods or deepstriking Landspeeders w/ Typhoon missile launchers. Bike squads are also really good in their melta formation.

Best Horde Hunter: Probably Devastators w/ 4 missile launchers or 4 plasma cannons at range. Powerful and effective. Ntm, both have mild tank hunting capabilities, and are great for killing Crisis Suits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i would say drop pod, it improves almost eveything
but as a killy unit, honour guard (and command squad) with a chaplin looks awsome, im getting some soon

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait im not asking along those lines
Im asking
OTHER Than tacticals which one unit would you have in your army - any army over 1K

When building a list in the back of your mind you will always have a couple of things that must be included - other than tacticals

i.e i will always have a LRC with assult termi's inside - the number and if a hq will go with is an after thought but i will usually always have the LRC.

Please just one unit slot - i.e the LRC with the termi's does only take 1 eliet slot.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
While everyone is giving love to terminators, sternguards, land raiders or whathaveyou, in my opinion, probably the most important unit(s) in a non-drop pod army is the humble rhino. We normally take them for granted, but they are what help us to win games. It's what separates a mediocre army to a good one.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Wait im not asking along those lines
Im asking
too late - posts take on a life of their own once you let others post responses
As a side note, SM can do horde, think how many troops you can take, and for how cheap you can take them. You could easily get 80-100 space marines on the board.

this concerns me, why would you ever take the LRC when there is a cheaper, better land raider redeemer on the next page?

just my 2 cents. I know you don't want this answer, but really the tactical squad is the ONLY unit I cannot live without, I could play a list with several other different types of units or any other types of units and I would be fine. Tactical squad is the only one I don't think I could make a list without, which is good, bc that's one of the rules of playing the game.

·
464 Posts
While everyone is giving love to terminators, sternguards, land raiders or whathaveyou, in my opinion, probably the most important unit(s) in a non-drop pod army is the humble rhino. We normally take them for granted, but they are what help us to win games. It's what separates a mediocre army to a good one.
I would have to agree with that statement whole heartedly. Rhinos for their points are sooo good. With those that I play with we have come up with the term "rhino tactics" which encompasses everything from contesting objectives to tank shocking a unit just move them to where you want them to be.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
In the Black Templar codex, besides crusader squads which are the obvious backbone of the army, I have to say I am a huge fan of Assualt Squads and always have been. Though I am starting to use Rhinos more... their new durability is pretty enticing.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Marines have too many good units to list, but a list is not complete without the bread and butter, as Me stated. Withholding Tac-Squads, I have to agree with both realitycheque and jy2.

Rhinos and Razorbacks. They're both perform an invaluable role in any (non DP) army list, and they are super cheap. On that, I would never consider anything besides a TL-HB on a Razorback. As soon as you dish out the points for something else you're negating their strength -- cheap, expendable transports with mobile firepower, and turning them into costly, expendable transports with mobile firepower.

IMO, every SM mech army commander should purchase Razorbacks over Rhinos (boxes that is). For $5 more, you include the option to field it as either/or.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.