Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Game Over boys
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a kind of step by step on the modelling of this beast, so ive decided to do the same with the painting. Ill only ever show small parts at a time and save the full shots for when he's done. Please offer any advice you like, its always helpful to get someone else's point of view.

First up, the part that could make or break the entire job, the eyes. The paint job is finished, they need a coat of gloss varnish but that can wait in case i slip whilst painting another section! The paint looks really thick on the photo, but in real life it looks smooth as can be. I blame 3 year old black paint!

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Macewind, you crazy talented fool!

Those eyes are looking really good dude. Very impressed. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this beast!

Will it be appearing at the meet?

Rich.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
The eyes are just wonderful... You can do a tutorial only for the eyes man! Looking forward for more! ;?

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Those eyes look great! Awesome stuff, cant wait to see more ;Y.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Those eyes are very cool looking. They remind me of something? I think the red you used on them works very well. The black of the spider's main body is good too as a choice of colour as obviously you haven't done anything to it.

How do you plan to paint the black? There are many ways. I would suggest that you use very pale flesh tones or very pale greens on that black. It could give it some colour but not overpower the effect of a giant black tarantula. Those colours won't be as stark as white either.

·
Game Over boys
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Ive been mulling over a few colours for the spider. I dont want green as the marine's armour is green. So blue is also out unless I use a very dark blue, almost black. Ive done some web searching and found the vast majority of furry spiders are black and red. Now, since ive done the eyes red, and the spot colour for the marins is red, im reluctant to use it. So i think ill go with the next best thing, Orange! Nice bright orange and black stripes all over the fur! Maybe yellow for the armour plating.

Ill try a few things out before deciding. Right now im having trouble painting the sorcerers face. Darn thing keeps going blotchy!

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
If those eyes remind me of anything, its Sauron. They just have the "Ahhh huge glowy firey eyes, RUNAWAY!" kinda look to them.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hi Graham, nice paint job, I have 2 criticisms, both about the same thing, the light reflection:
1. size - because the eye is convex, it would take a light source of about 1/4 the sky to give a light reflection of that size, it should be smaller
2. location, again because they are domes, that light source would have to come in at ground level, the various protrubances would mostly block it, white spots should be more towards the apex

however, good job and it is a pretty picking thing to have mentioned, good work matey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.