Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Couldn't explicitly find the answer to my question in the rules or on the forum, so thought i'd ask. Apologies if it is in the forum somewhere.

I just wanted to check my understanding of assaulting & combat resolution using multiple units with a specific example.

So, my squad of howling banshees assaults my opponent's squad of tactical marines. My Avatar also assaults this same unit (from the flank). I have no other assaults that turn. According to page 33, all assaulting units are moved before any resolution occurs, so I do that.

Now, with initiative 10 and grenade-cancelling ability (on the charge, 1st combat round), my howling banshees obviously go first. They do 7 unsaved wounds. My opponent removes the models from the flank that my avatar is on, leaving him no longer in base to base contact with any enemy models (I didn't measure, but iirc he was also about 3" away from any enemy models). Now the avatar would go next (initiative + marines are already engaged, so no grenades), but since he is no longer in base to base contact, he does nothing but stand there and look angry. Marines go next and do bugger all. Marines take a morale test at -7 to their leadership and pass (lucky bastards!). Units all pile-in so avatar is once more in base to base contact. Hoorah!

Is the above sequence correct ? Is anything wrong or missing ? We weren't 100% sure if the avatar could fight if he was within 2" of any enemy, or 2 " of any engaged banshees or not.

Appreciate any pointers, cheers!

·
1,256 Posts
Your Avatar will get to fight. Page 35 (mini-rulebook) paragraph 3 and 4 state this (bullets don't count as paragraphs). Paragraph three says everyone who is engaged gets to fight, and paragraph 4 says that engagement is checked at the beginning of the fight.

At the beginning of the fight your avatar was engaged with the marines so when it becomes his turn he gets to take some swings. However your avatar would go at intiative one if he charged through cover because this was the first round of combat. Just because he goes second doesn't mean he gets free frags.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Avatar will get to fight. Page 35 (mini-rulebook) paragraph 3 and 4 state this (bullets don't count as paragraphs). Paragraph three says everyone who is engaged gets to fight, and paragraph 4 says that engagement is checked at the beginning of the fight.

At the beginning of the fight your avatar was engaged with the marines so when it becomes his turn he gets to take some swings. However your avatar would go at intiative one if he charged through cover because this was the first round of combat. Just because he goes second doesn't mean he gets free frags.
Ah ok. Understood. Thanks for the quick reply nicho! :)

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I'm so glad they put that rule in. It was very annoying when you could spread a squad out and remove a few models to nullify Powerfists or other units.

Well explained example and a good question, rep for such things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts