Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 49 additional points, the Hive Tyrant could be given Exceptional Size*.

That would give it S7, T7.

With a Venom Cannon, its now doing S9, AP4 (Assault 3).

Not to mention the fact that the HT becomes better at CC and taking hits due to the new stats.

(*with a couple Guard tacked on to the HT, the brood then would easily be large enough to allow the model to mutate, correct? Since you add total wounds to compare to the species count.)

Is this a waste of points or does it have potential? Or is it even legal?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The Tyrant Guard do not count toward the Tyrant's wounds for mutation. If you had a fleet with only 4 species, this is a valid mutation. Wow, would that ever be a limited fleet though.

Almost forgot to mention that my favorite "sneaky" mutations are venom cannons for Raveners and rending claw beasts in Gargoyle broods.

·
Registered
163 Posts
you can only mutat non genofixed species. so no raveners or gargoyls or stealers or biovores zoanthropes lictors or tyrant guard can be mutated.

and i dont think the mutant tyrant is worth it all though it makes your bioplasma str 8. that will vap a few diffrent commanders.

XG

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think the idea sounds good..
Although you still have to persuade your opponent to let you use it.
It would surely make a good centerpiece for your army, and making it stronger will make it more survivable in the heat of combat.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Originally posted by X-Griffin@Oct 24 2003, 08:17
you can only mutat non genofixed species. so no raveners or gargoyls or stealers or biovores zoanthropes lictors or tyrant guard can be mutated.
Actually you can have mutants in genofixed broods. The mutable genus/genofixed stuff only affects the mutation tables for creating own species (it shows if there is a table for this species or not), but it has no influence at all about the question if you may have mutants or not.

However, it's not worth the points anyway.

jwu

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Badmovies.org@Oct 23 2003, 21:09
The Tyrant Guard do not count toward the Tyrant's wounds for mutation.
Is this an official interpretation? It doesn't seem to fit with what I am reading in the Codex.

under the Special Rules for the HT it says:

"Tyrant's Bogyguard. The Hive Tyrant may be accompanied by bodyguard of specially bio-constructed Tyranid Warriors. The Tyrant's bodyguard does not count as a separate HQ choice..."

So why is the whole unit not counted together for the purposes of the brood size? The definition of Brood is the total number of models in the unit. The HT and TGs combine to form one HQ unit. So it should all count. Why not?

As I see it, a HT with (3) TGs would be a single unit (brood) with a total of 10 wounds. If I have 10 or less different species in my army, I can make one of the models a mutant (i.e., the HT).

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Tyranid Faq (Available from the GW site) expressly states that tyranid monsterous creatures do not count the wounds of the units they join for the purposes of mutations. Ergo, your fleet would need to have 4 species only Which is limited as all getout.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I just went to the GW site and checked out the FAQ.

Thanks anyway for the heads-up on it, folks. I've printed it out and I'll be using it.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

BTW, I've noticed lots of references to checking out the Capter Approved book. Are there lots of wholesome Nid bits in it? What type of stuff is there that I'd likely be interested in? I'm curious if it's worth picking up is all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The only thing Chapter Approved 2003 has for 'Nids are the Seeding Swarm army (which is a cool army, but requires your opponents permission). It has the Codex errata, but its no different then what you downloaded.

It also has the Trial Assult Rules (which is why I picked it up) and some other alternate army types for Orks and IG (which doesn't matter now the new IG codex came out).

I THINK CA 2004 comes out in November.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Technically, all mutations have to be shown on the model itself. Just use some green stuff for the exceptional size-- that's an easy way for a single model.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Exceptional size is meaning it is bigger right, so give it a carnifex base, there you go exceptional size. if you have green stuff, give it very small little extra limbs and make its legs a little more beey and give it some heavier Chitonios

·
Registered
515 Posts
but the tyranids(apart from gargoyles) are limited to haveing 3 pairs of limbs. any more woudlnt that be wrong, anyway i bet it would look cool

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that a Tyrant with that mutation would be absolutely worth the small point cost it would take to give it Exceptional Size. Just the toughness alone is worth it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Remember - its more than just a "point cost" its also a breed cost. You can only have 4 types of units in your army.

So if you want to have Tyrant, that means you only get 3 other types of units. I guess you could do Tyrant, Gaunt, Warrior and Carnifex. But thats VERY limited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I played an 1100 point game versus some eldar with a 4 army list (HQ: Tyrant, Heavy: Carnifex, Troop: Genestealers, and Elite: Warrior) I gave both of my carnifex's Exception Size, as well as my HT, and one warrior, then 5 of my genestealers acid blood. With only two venom cannons spread out, I tore him to shreds. The +1S & +1T are definetely worth it. Oh, I did use the mutable genus rules for HT, Warriors, and Carnifexi.

Him.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well you do know that Bioweapons have a limit of S10, and so does your Carni. Seems thats kind of limited. Although I must admit having a S6 T5 Warrior would be pretty rule =)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.