Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm throughly confused on the availability Mutating a member of each brood. I'm assuming the following; being a Mutable Genus species means they can be generated from the base tables and given certain biomorphs. per the rules starting on pg38. From what I can tell this is a different *section* than Mutant Creatures. Where 1 specific can be mutated in each brood to one of 3 types.

Considering there are a few species in the Fleet, and enough models in a brood.
So can every brood (unit) contain a Hive node mutant in it?

Essentially, I'm constantly facing a Hive Tyrant, with warriors, a Carniflex, a brood a ripper swarms, a brood of hormagaunts. All synapse aware with hive node. and all essentially attack from 18" with his various upgrades.

so for 30 points, army total, there is an unrestricted Tyranid army that can go where it pleases that are immune to pinning, and most leadership checks.

Also, with target priority, can I target the mutant in the brood?

·
Registered
744 Posts
No such thing as a hive node in 4th edition... I believe that was a 3rd ed. rule.\

Of those units that you mentioned, only the Hive Tyrant and Warriors are synapse creatures, meaning each model provides synapse to itself and any other unit or units within 12". At least one model among the rippers and hormagaunts and the Carnifex must stay within 12" of a synapse creature or they must succeed at a LD roll else resort to the instinctive behavior rules.

The only units in the current Tyranid codex that don't need synapse are Biovores and Genestealers, other than the synapse creatures themselves, of course. Synapse creatures include Hive Tyrants, Warriors, the Broodlord and umm... I think that's it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Woah guy, thats from the third edition. A new Codex came out a while ago...

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No such thing as a hive node in 4th edition... I believe that was a 3rd ed. rule.\

Of those units that you mentioned, only the Hive Tyrant and Warriors are synapse creatures, meaning each model provides synapse to itself and any other unit or units within 12". At least one model among the rippers and hormagaunts and the Carnifex must stay within 12" of a synapse creature or they must succeed at a LD roll else resort to the instinctive behavior rules.

The only units in the current Tyranid codex that don't need synapse are Biovores and Genestealers, other than the synapse creatures themselves, of course. Synapse creatures include Hive Tyrants, Warriors, the Broodlord and umm... I think that's it.
Many thanx, something always seemed off balance, It must be the old codex, ARG! copyrighted 2001. I don't know why I didn't just check online before... well its just been fun with my step son but now I've got to get him a new codex. Here's an odd question, should I go get the current codex or will there be a new one surfacing with 5th edition?

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woah guy, thats from the third edition. A new Codex came out a while ago...
Aye, I'm brand new to the hobby, with my son playing the other half of the macragge set with me I borrowed the codex from the guy who introduced it to me, and only been using what I've scrounged from my friend who used to play. No worries, we've been learning quickly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well there are no plans for a new codex this year... so its a pretty safe bet theyll do it next year. I would buy it, half a year without a codex that costs 20 bucks and you can reuse the models anyway is bad...

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only new thing confirmed for this year is the new rule book in summer - that will be making some major changes to 40k games and there is a strong chance of a FAQ for that in responce -- I have also heard rumours of a new tyranid codex in reponce to the new rule book. However whilst the theory behind a new one is sound, with GWs currently understood release schedual I cannot see where work on a new codex might fit in - so whilst there is a chance its not certain.
Get the new book though - its not a waste - even learning ot play now is not (I reckon many clubs might stick with 4thed for a while - alternating between 4th and 5th ed battles!)

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
Many thanx, something always seemed off balance, It must be the old codex, ARG! copyrighted 2001. I don't know why I didn't just check online before... well its just been fun with my step son but now I've got to get him a new codex. Here's an odd question, should I go get the current codex or will there be a new one surfacing with 5th edition?
Get the new codex. It's one of the best written codexes GW has put out so far. Clear, concise and has very few issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts