·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ points 215
Ahriman

Troops points 480
2 Thousand sons squad 9 each

each have Mark of Tzeentch.They become fearless +1 wound slow and purposeful.They have minor psyker abilities.Each has twisting path
Bolt of change
Inferno bolts

Im thinking of getting some terminators and some daemon spawn

total points 1000

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Wow wait a second... you mean you have 1 HQ, and 2 squads of 9 men each as troops, and that's all, in a 1,000 points game?? May I see the exact list with upgrades and costs mentioned??
Or do you mean what you should add to get to 1,000 pts? In that case, I'd get a dreadnought or predator with lascannons, and rhinos for the 2 rubric squads. Maybe throw in some Daemons for fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I humbly reccomend that you do not use Ahriman as your HQ for a couple of reasons:

First because since he is a "character" using him in a game that is under 2000 points does not make sense (for such a small battle he would most likely use a member of his cabal).

Second, using Ahriman as your HQ will attract all of your opponents firepower; though arguably he isn't any better then a Tzeentch Demon prince, but just because he is a personality he will attract more attention.

Third, Ahriman isn't the best HQ choice; he is probably one of the weaker characters within the Chaos sphere. Using the same amount of points you could create a devastating Close Combat oriented or Ballistic oriented Demon Prince/Chaos Lord which may be more effective (for your army or situation).

I also have a few suggestions for your Troop Choice:

First I would use two squads of 9 Rubric marines (as you have already choosen). I would arm the Sorcerer with Wind of Chaos instead of Bolt of Change (Bolt of Change is a good Psychic Power however the cost for a 1000pt game is too high). Thousand Sons are generally not Close Combat Oriented so perhaps a MC plasma pistol on your sorcerers would be benificial.

Now if you don't want to go the balistic route and want to go on the path of Close Combat bliss I suggest putting your two troop choices into Rhinos which have Extra Armor and Smoke Launchers. The thought behind this is to quickly advance your Thousand Sons, deploy them infront of your enemies (the Thousand Sons are one of my favorite Close Combat units mainly due to their 2 wounds and tweaked out Sorcerers, and the shock of being confronted by Thousand Sons in Close Combat) then use Wind of Chaos followed by a barrage of bolter fire followed by a Close Combat frenzy.

In regards to your Heavy Support:

Dreadnoughts firepower is what a Tzeentch Thousand Sons armies need to be viable. Generally you can't go wrong with either a lascannon or a plasma gun coupled with a Close Combat weapon. I reccomend you deploy your Dreadnought behind your two Rhinos giving it a better chance to survive the first turn.

*Cleared up some wording as not to confuse others*

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by BorninDarkness@Sep 15 2003, 11:57
Exactly what makes you think TS are close combat oriented?? The only army that's more geared towards shooting is Iron Warriors.
Yeah, why should they have the "Slow and Purposeful" rule if they were?

EDIT: If you're going to have a Dread, use the forge world TS model, it looks quite better than the metal one...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well perhaps I play Thousand Sons a lil different then, I tend to tweak out my sorcerers and throw them into hand to hand combat; I have found a Sorcerer backed by 8 Thousand Sons do very well in hand to hand.

Then again I don't often play games lager then 1000 points--but when I do encounter terrains where Ballistic is the game I find myself often out gunned by other armies (mainly Tau and Armored Company). So Basically I am talking from personal experience (perhaps to put it better, different play field/situations).

So basically my post above was my personal experiences with Thousand Sons, so if for some reason you took offence I am sorry; I should have explained my views further.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The only thing that makes TS effective in close combat is their ability to soak up a lot of wounds. With Slow and Purposeful they're most suited for advancing slowly while laying down a torrent of bolter fire. If need be you can charge to finish the job, but the enemy should've received quite a pummeling by then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys do you think i should have a daemon prince or regular chaos lord?Do you guys think terminators would be good in my army i already have one a bloter-flamer

:a

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
For now, use a Lieutenant, you don't want to make the army even smaller by using an Uber Daemon Prince.
Terminators are good, but use Rubric termies, not Chosen as these are a lot more expensive (as people will always want to give them all kinds of Psychic Powers). Plus having 2 wound termies is cool ^_^ .

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
YOU ARE A FOOL!!!!!!!

NORMAL THOUSAND SONS MARINES ARE NOT ALL PSYKERS!!!!! THEY ARE BODILESS ROBOTS! THEY CANNOT ALL HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS LIKE YOU HAVE IN THEIR ARMY LIST!!!!!!! ONLY ASPIRING CHAMPIONS CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Originally posted by Lordofchange@Nov 10 2003, 14:11
YOU ARE A FOOL!!!!!!!

NORMAL THOUSAND SONS MARINES ARE NOT ALL PSYKERS!!!!! THEY ARE BODILESS ROBOTS! THEY CANNOT ALL HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS LIKE YOU HAVE IN THEIR ARMY LIST!!!!!!! ONLY ASPIRING CHAMPIONS CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are beter ways of saying stuff u know ;) but he is right in my opinion TS are a shooty army dont get a rhino cos they can move a shoot 2 shoots so waste of shoots rubic termies rule :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but if you want a CC army run away from thousand sons.....run far, far, away.

1. The mark of rubric is only applied to basic trooops...not Aspiring champs or elites meaning the only guys who can have two wounds get ABSOULUTELY NO UPGRADES!!!! only bolters.

2. Ahriman is very good but in 1000 points games hes too expensive.

3. Possessed are awsome but a full squad tweaked out with sorceries and heavy weapons cost about 600points for 9 guys.

4. Chosen are cheaper and i find them to be just as useful as the possesed

I have played mostly against World Eaters and Space MArines and Nids.

My thoughts on tactics. Keep Your men spread apart and at the full 24" from your opponents. Hail fire on them for as lonag as you can before they get in HtH. HEAVY SUPPORT is very important. I find that a defiler with indirect fire can be mean as well as predators with all lascannons. be careful with a chaos dreadnaught for two reasons:

1. If you roll a 6 and no enemy are in sight or in range then he will pummel your own troops
2. if you roll a 1 then hell start charging toward the enemy something you wanna try and avoid.

thats my .02...ive only been playing 1000sons for about a month and still need lots of tweaking as i have been totally slaughtered by the freakin World Eaters evry time.... <:>

-robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW termies are pretty expensive to use in a 1000sons army and i have found very little use for them if you got the money you them as youre chosen so they can last a little longer...cuz nothing sucks more than losing a 400pt unit in the shooting phase

and FYI a squad of 8TS marines and 1 AC with Bolts of change cost 248pts

As far as sorceries go if you know you cant avoid CC (like against World Eaters, etc..) then use winds of chaos and gifts of chaos. And thrall wizards, lots of thrall wiazards. talk about cheap fodder and extra attacks and sorceries :D

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
Thousand sons are wicked in rhinos, you drive up to tyranids, get out, rapid fire, and then get back in next turn before the Hive Tyrant can get you.

BUT YOU'RE STILL A FOOL! READ THE FREAKIN' CODEX FOR GODS SAKE!

·
Registered
9 Posts
calm down man.

Nids are easy to beat...i scored my most decisive victory against nids

WHy do i need to read the codex? i happen to have read it numerous times and have conversed about with several experienced people including a GW outwriter and judge who knows about as much as anyone can know.

i may be stupid but your suggestion doesnt seem to make sense......

in my movement phase i move my squad in a rhino and get out within 12" of the enemy(in order to rapid fire) then shoot in the shooting phase and consolidate back into the rhino during the assault phase? then what? doesnt the enemy have anything that can attack vehicles? and either immobilize it (so i cant run away) or destroy it and possibly kill me and then force the remnants to stand there and get assaulted?
how do you plan on getting away from them after you rapid fire? can you consolidate and then move again? that seems like an awful lot of movement?

at any rate:

be careful with assigning to many points(pysker abilities) to your sorcerors in your elite squads when they die it will really hurt ya.
the key to 1000sons is deployment...thats usually what leads to things going badly for me.

i havent used a daemon prince yet but im going to proxying one this week as well as a greater deamon- The lord of change. hopefully this will give some help in the cc area.

also you might want to consider flamers of tzneetch....a whole squad of daemons with doombolt so a squad of 9= 18 18" attacks!

if a squad gets caught in cc then move your other squads away from it so you will have a chance to shoot at the enemy as soon as the combat is over

2 wounds is nice but rerally al it does is drag out cc long enough to move away from it cause initiative 1 with 1 attack doesnt do a lot of damage to the enemy!

just dont give up on them there seem very hard at first but once you get the hang of it itll really come together

-robert

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the person who set up this topic, darknightmare. I don't dispute the way you play, it's your choice, that's just the guy at the beginning *****es me off as he thinks all the thousand sons can have psychic powers. I share Bornin's opinion, people who don't read their codex ***** me off, but I don't think you don't read your codex, deathguard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.