Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Part time Pirate
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Well since the release of the new BA codex I've wanted to create a storm raven.
I'm sure that GW will bring one out sooner or later and when that comes i may buy one for my GKs (if they get it in their new codex) but for now I needed something to play with and also what an awesome project to do.

I've based it off the Thunderhawk style using some of a landraider, bits from a Valkyrie and alot of plasticard. I wanted it to be big and bulky to fit the SM idea.

I've taken pics from the get go so you can see my line of thought while creating. How the initial idea and the end result came together.

Its not painted as yet (will be getting a base black spray today) but will do as soon I can borrow my mates airbrush.

I hope you enjoy.

The start. (holding together with hands and blue tack)

First Glue.

Ideas.

Plasticard.

Wings.

Twinlinked Multimelta.

Finishing it off.

Final product.

So there you have it. :D

Since taking these shots, i've noticed a few places that need a little quick clean before spraying black but all in all I'm really happy with the end result.

The dread is far from done but magnetizes up well (almost too well, may have to dull it down with greenstuff)

Hope this helps others wanting to make them, keen for feedback.

L. :soldier:

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Great work, on the first few pics i was like.... wha? but in the end its a really good model, i see the Storm Raven as a Baby thunderhawk, like you and your model looks a lot like a baby thunderhawk!

Impressive my friend!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
That is a really well done conversion. I have seen many of them dotted about the web, and this is by far one of the more impressive ones I have seen. Great work!

Kuffy

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
While I think it looks very awesome... and its a better size than most peoples ravens, I think the land raider bit is very recognisable.

But still... very nice model :)

·
Part time Pirate
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

You can see the landraider nose, but I like that.
I've altered it enough so its not exactly a landraider nose but its gonna be obvious using the assault ramp.

I intended on this so that it was a SM vehicle and the ramp was recognizable as an assault ramp :)

Will be interested to see where GW goes with their model.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
While I think it looks very awesome... and its a better size than most peoples ravens, I think the land raider bit is very recognisable.

But still... very nice model :)
I don't think it matters much that you can recognise it. If you are really looking that closely, then you should be able to pick most of the parts out. But isn't it like that with every conversion and kit bashing?

I think it looks good.

What are you going to do if you need a nother one?

·
Part time Pirate
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.

Yes will thats the thing.... I wouldn't :D
Replicating isn't fun and doing it the first time was enough work :)

If I can get one for my GK's, i'd wait for the model but as for the BA's I just won't include another one in my list.
Not that I could squeeze another StormRaven in my list but if I had the points I'd include my Redeemer or more likely DC or more Dreads :D

Though I am playing at 4000pt battle soon with a total of 16000 points on the table so will be able to finally put most my models on the table at the same time D:!!!!

·
Part time Pirate
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well things slowed down with the stormraven.. unfortunately with painting (unlike modelling) by about the half way mark I get bored and ready for something new.
So I took a break and put together other models (will start anew thread with the whole army soon.)

But last night I started up again and took a quick pic to show the progress..

·
By the Silver Sword!
713 Posts
That looks really cool! Definatley one of the best I've seen. Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of the Stormraven (Kinda feels like Mat Ward wanted to get a Thunderhawk into a normal codex) but you've pulled it off really well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts