Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay heres what i've boiled it down to this, can anyone make light of some respective gains/losses for each spec? I'll be grouping him with a small assault squad, so I believe the iron halo isn't worth as much salt as the combat shield is, as he wont be using that save very often until CC anyways. Thanks in advance for the heads up!

(also, the master would have 5 attacks for TH and two weapons, right?)

Chapter Commander - the Duskbreakers
Khoregard the Courageous - 161pts.

Master w/
- Power Fist + Power Weapon
- Terminator Honours
- Combat Shield
- Jump Pack
- Frag Grenades

Or, for 166pts.

Master w/
- Lightning Claws
- Terminator Honours
- Jump Pack
- Iron Halo
- Frag Grenades

·
Registered
20 Posts
easily the second one put them in a fight vs eash other and see who would win

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
The second one is far superior, the iron halo in invaluable no matter what.

A master with T. honours and a weapon in each hand would get 5 attacks (6 on the charge!).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the second one as well; it is very similar to the master that I normally field.

The re-rolls to wound that the lightening claws confer can be extremely valuable especially when combined with 5/6 attacks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd have to agree with deadpool. IIRC, since the first has a powerfist ALL its attacks come at Int 1. All at Int 1 is well and good for a Sergent that you can remove other models for, but with an independant character that could spell doom. Also, I think the Iron Halo is a better idea than the combat shield, since the Halo also works outside of close combat.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Master's attacks would be 4+1 (the +1 meaning for 2 weapons). So there would be 5 attacks total. Now combine that with the fact that you have Lightning Claws, that means you can do 5 attacks and re-roll any misses and ignore armor saves. Not too shabby. Save the powerfists for sergents.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The first one has a power fist and a power weapon so he can go at his regular initiative using the power weapon or at 1 using the power fist.

This is a very common option. It would also get the same number of attacks as the second. I think this a superior option to the twin lightning claws as you have better choices in combat. (ie: Use the power weapon when fighting rank and file or switch to the power fist when fighting say a Wraithlord or a Dreadnought.)

Admittedly you won't get the advantage of the reroll wounds that the lightning claws give you.

An iron halo is always a good idea for a hth master.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm leaning towards the first, for two reasons: I've (personally) never seen a SMurf decked out like that, im lookin forward to making him pimpin'... also, my friend who has a few years experience with the smurfs on myself (and who until a week ago didnt know what "and they shall know no fear" meant) is going the way of shrike, so im thinking of making an anti-shrike hero. Fiiiists SMAAASH!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Make the guy that looks the best to you and as fun as you can.
I have a Chaplin with a powerfist I love so much I use in every game I play even though peopel complain about it having a powerfist, Its my cahrecter so I use him how I like.

Sure Its nice to have a purley effective Charector, its also nice to have a tricked out one to spice things up with once in a while. Smurfs can get dual if you don't try things like this.

·
Registered
648 Posts
haha the second one is exactly mine (I play a second founding of raven guard, RavenClaws....)

He's pulled through for me so many times its not even funny when he charges in....kills everything in front of him so the opponent gets no attacks that turn and have to move in just to get cut up again next term....(this is kinda bad since my assault powerfist marine never gets any attacks in since my hero kills too fast)

the iron halo will pay off even more than a combat shield because that 1 number difference on the dice role can save you from a powerfist that kills your 150 point commander in one hit.

piece of advice since the GW battle bunker I play at has a Commander like the first build.....to save points you can count that powerfist or powersword as another CC weapon if the army you fight against doesn't need both. Its kewl and all and if you want to incorporate the shield still just make it somewhat elaborate so it represents a 4+ invulnerable. (my homemade chaplain has the rosarius attached to his combat shield to represent it)

oh and to answer your question....if it came down to it I think the lightning claw will win because of the better save and the chance to strike first if the powerfist commander wants to try and go for an instakill.....but both are equally good....just better or worse in different situations.

oh and make those frag grenades optional in the point build if there are no bunkers.....I assume the assault squad has meltabombs so don't bother giving them to your HQ (they kill tanks better than lascannons.... personal experience)

·
Banned
771 Posts
The second one is definitely better. Personally, for my commanders, I like to keep them simple and cheap--terminator armour, storm bolter, power sword, end. 105 points.

If I were to tool up a commander, though, that's pretty much exactly what it would look like (your second one)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts