Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first army, and it is all that I have as of now. Please advise and critisize.

HQ

Warrior Brood- 140

Warrior 1: adrenal glands(+1 I + WS), bio-plasma, enhanced senses,extended carapace, flesh hooks, symbiote rippers, toxin sacs, deathspitter, scything talons-47

Warrior 2:adrenal glands(+1 I + WS), bio-plasma, extended carapace, flesh hooks, symbiote rippers, toxin sacs, scything talons x 2 -39

Warrior 3: adrenal glands(+1 I + WS), bio-plasma, enhanced senses,extended carapace, flesh hooks, symbiote rippers, toxin sacs, rending claws,barbed strangler

Troops

Genestealer Brood: 8, acid maw, extended carapace, implant attack, scything talons, toxin sacs - 272

Gaunt Brood: 8, fleshborer. without number - 72

Hormagaunt Brood: 8, adrenal glands (+1 I + WS), flesh hooks, toxin sacs -120

Heavy support

Carnifex: Acid maw, adrenal glands (+1 I + WS), bio-plasma, bonded exoskeleton, extended carapace, flesh hooks, implant attack, regenerate, rienforced chitin, tail weapon- scythe, thornback, toxin sacs, toxic miasma, tusked, crushing claws, scything talons - 290

I also have a tyrant guard not included in the army. I need a hive tyrant first. Also, I realise that the Carnifex is going to be a major target. The option to build it was just irresistable though. Anyway, tell me what you think and what I should buy first.

·
663 Posts
Ok, It looks like you bought a battle box, witch is a great start, however don't try and squeaze too many points out of it. I think that if you equip everything to maximize on points then it only comes out to 5 or 6 hundred points. My opinion is that you shouldn't go to over board on the upgrades. They're all going to die just as fast as with out them. Stick to 500pt games and just bide your time till you get another battle box or some more models in general.

I have a question before i comment on the list its self; are the models built yet or not?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did get the battle box.
The models are built, but I can cut pieces off if I need to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought the army to 707. That's all I risk without some debonder for arms and such. I got rid of most flesh hooks since with this small of an army, it would be a small field most likely. I also got rid of the thornback since it isn't very useful, even if it looks cool. I switched from the scythe tail to the mace tail. Cheaper, and a better chance for a wound. I kept the adrenal glands(+ 1 WS) and toxin sacs on the hormagaunts, but got rid of everything else. Also I tinkered with the warriors a little.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Get rid of Symbiote Rippers, a simple waste of points. Also, the get the third Squad Rending Claws and Scything Talons, along with leaping. Cheap, simple, and they should hold only because this is a 900 point army.

Your Carnifex is a little overboard. I have one JUST like that though, i love those things. Try to be crafty and get him into CC quick so he can do damage.

Oh, i dont use flesh hooks, but you might like them.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
I think that you have WAY to many upgrades.
The carnifex will be killed before it can make up for its points (290 points, definatly going to attract alot of fire).
I agree with Hive Fleet Hydra that you should take the symboite rippers of the warriors, takes up points. You will have to get those gaunts and genestealers into CC really quickly if they are going to make up for their points. sorry if it sounds like I'm scolding you, I'm just in a hurry.

This all an oppinion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've decided that if I can get some debonder, I will take the scything talons and a few of the biomorphs off the carnifex and give it a venom cannon and enhanced senses.

Anyway... what should I buy next. I'm thinking about a gaunt and hormagaunt box thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've decided that if I can get some debonder, I will take the scything talons and a few of the biomorphs off the carnifex and give it a venom cannon and enhanced senses.

Anyway... what should I buy next. I'm thinking about a gaunt and hormagaunt box thing.
personally you're probably better off getting another battleforce box

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Akruze

I wanted to first apologize for not seeing this post sooner. To be honest, I flat out just didn't see it.

I first wanted to point out that Battleboxes are meant for Combat Patrol missions. Combat patrol missions are usually 500 points or less and have a specific set of rules for units (one example I remember is that no unit can have a better save than 2+) If you compare the Tyranid battlebox to other battleboxes, there are few out there that have HQ units in them. (BTW ~ please don't confuse the Tyranid battlebox with other armies MEGAbox sets...they are completely different)

So if you only have the battleforce box, first understand that getting something around 500 points is more realistic. If you want more points, you'll want to get more stuff

This being all said, your next difficultly will be those Warriors. I've said this on several posts, so I please forgive me if this sounds repetitive. You can make them shooty or close combat oriented. But they are the toughest unit to field.

========================
Commander Akruze, I could go on, but I'm concerned that I may sound like I'm scolding a rookie Nid player, when I should be more of a mentor. So if you could do me a favor and send me a personal message (PM), that would be great. I'll need to know:

1) The current state of all the models. I know you mentioned you had debonder, but I'd like to know what weapon symbiotes you put on all your units (especially your Carnifex and warriors).

2) The points limit you'd like to shoot for, both short term (within 1 month) and long term (3 months or more)

3) Do you want your Nids to be more shooty, CC oriented, or diverse. In all your lists, you'll want to have a bit of shootiness and CC, but knowing one of these questions will allow me to ask more specific questions.

4) Your "budget". Don't be afraid to be honest with me. My brother owns Space Wolves, and Tyranids, and hopes to play the Dark Crusade RPG. I help fund about 50-75% of any Games Workshop purchases we make, and gladly do so. Just giving me an estimate on your budget for the next 2-3 months will help me give specific tailored advice.

I can't make you into the next Grand Tournament Champion, but I'm pretty good at getting rookie Tyranid commanders started off in the right direction. I want to help, so send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. I have done a lot of changing to my army. At one point I had it at 498 points. Now it is 850 points and is as follows:

HQ
Warriors: 3, 1 venom cannon, 2 devourers, scything talons, extended carapace, enhanced senses

TROOP
hormagaunt: 8
hormahaunt: 8
gaunt: 12, fleshborer
genestealer: 8, extended carapace
genestealer: 8, extended carapace
ripper: 4, leaping

Heavy Support
Carnifex: toxin sacs, spinebanks, TL devourer, venom cannon

That may not be all as I do not have my list with me, but it is close enough.
I am thinking about getting enhanced senses for the fex, getting rid of the toxin sacs or the leaping from the rippers to afford it.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Heavy Support
Carnifex: toxin sacs, spinebanks, TL devourer, venom cannon

That may not be all as I do not have my list with me, but it is close enough.
I am thinking about getting enhanced senses for the fex, getting rid of the toxin sacs or the leaping from the rippers to afford it.
In my book, if you have something that is shooty only, it MUST have enhanced senses. And synapse is going to be a problem. Maybe a cheap Tyrant? :shifty:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now i'm just working with what I have. I plan to get a tyrant when I get some money.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Enhanced senses is practically compulsary for a big tyranid with a gun. BS2 really doesnt cut the mustard.

·
159 Posts
Zach

First, I wanted to apologize for all the late responses. The Commadofex (Venom Cannon and TL Devourers) is really a solid choice for your early games (any game at 1000 points or less. I do want to warn you, however that once you get past 1000 points, the Sniperfex (Venom Cannon/Barbed Strangler) is a better choice; in fact many would argue that the Sniperfex is the best choice at any games that are do not follow standard army list rules.

If you're thinking short term, keep the Commandofex. However, if you're thinking to save money over time, then I'd suggest making the Sniperfex.

Instead of removing leaping from the rippers, consider removing an actual ripper squad entirely (making your total of 3). You want to give your opponent a reason to be annoyed with the ripper squads and a slow moving multi-wound unit will not make your opponents respect them. And with only 3 Synapse creatures, you definitely need your opponent to think about shooting at all the units.

In regards to future purchases, you definitely need to consider more Synapse. My order of preference is:

1. Hive Tyrant
  2. 2-3 Zoanthropes (I'm having a tough time seeing the value of only 1 Zoanthrope in any games past 1000 points)
  3. Warriors

Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts