Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been using chimera chassis proxies for a while and liking their performance so I finally bit the bullet and went about making one. Before I start on the next one, I'd like to see what comments or criticisms people have.

Like a lot of people, I've put the aegis defense line quad gun on the back of a chimera, but I decided to retain the chimera turret and replace the multi laser with optics from the quad gun. I figure there is a targeter turret and a gun turret.

·
1,648 Posts
Nice! I like it. Gun seems a little small compared to the rest of the chassis now that I finally have a look at one, but eh, what can you do.

I like the idea of the targeter turret as well.

Mind if I snag some of these ideas from you? I have a pair of aegis turrets on the way in the mail.

·
Registered
140 Posts
nice and clean, as the person before me said, gun is a little small, and the mount for it to me could use alittle beefing up... though its too late right now for me to figure out any constructive ways of how. Also, that front sighting turret is wicked.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
I reckon some plasticard pannels to beef up the base.. or you could go and get some Baneblade bitz and use those pannels.. lots of nicely rivited options there..

Gun Barrels are a matter of opinion.. but thinking of a Bitz, it would look pretty cool if you got 4 main Baneblade barrels.. shortened them slightly and then replaced the ones you have there..
Or at least something along those lines..

Conversions are a subjective thing.. you have to set a target and a budget or they'll spiral out of control and you'll be spending £100's.. I know I have

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
Its nice, but could do with some armoured baffles - plasticard cut to shape and surrounding the gun to prevent stray rounds cooking of fteh ammo, for example, and maybe a curved gun-shield to protect the front of the gun and mounted electrics/motors.

Also the optics in the turret don't make sense much as the gun can traverse much more than the turret - perghaps the turret optics are for engaging ground targets or targets at a low-level? You would be best served to have a radar dish or some more advanced optics at the gun level or mounted on teh gun like on the ZSU or the Roland.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Here is updated version I blue-tacked together.

I think extending the barrels with some tubing will fix the scale disparity. The I'll probably use the inside of chimera door bits for the top of the gun turret to give it some texture.

As for radar dishes, I run a fairly WWI-esq grimdark themed army and I don't think they would fit. I know having a second targeting turret isn't practical in real life but it seems very imperial, if you know what I mean.

·
1,648 Posts
Could you post more of a top-down shot? I just got my pair of Aegis Turrets today. I'm noticing that the turret base is a little wider than the top surface of the chimera. How did you solve that issue? It looks like filling it down might not be an option.

Last picture: Lower profile makes it look a lot better, though something still seems a little off to me. No idea why.

I like using the aegis line as a gun-shield. Though now it looks like it needs a gunner in a chair operating the turret. Sentinel or Valkyrie pilot maybe? :soldier:

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's actually pretty clever! Even with the turret, you could justifiably say that it's some sort of modular version of the chimera chasis, or a chimera converted on the field to act as an AA mount.

I'm not too familiar with the original model, but I would say that this conversion looks pretty good even with the shorter barrel length. At worst, it gives the impression of an Imperium-style kludge, which is still pretty cool.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The base of the turret is a little wider than the top of the chimera, but after adding track guards to cover up the lasgun ports and with a little filing it becomes flush. I like the idea of the sentinel operator, I'll have pick up one of those and try it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looking good! One tiny suggestion, though: Is there a possibility of making the turret slightly more wedge shaped?
Like this:

________
/ l
/________l
Instead of this:
_________
l l
l l
l________l

Possible?

Oh, and Top pic +1. :)

·
517 Posts
The turret IS wedge shaped. I think he has the guns on backwards. Here's mine (Before I painted it) using pretty much the same pieces. Might give OP or others some ideas.

I just filled in the holes with GS.

Good looking work OP!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.