Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you guys, finally I've completed an IG army list that I find to be pretty balanced. And yes, just like the title says- I've no lascannons 8X

Call me crazy, perhaps, but I just see lascannons as a crutch. Feeling this way I've tried to compensate with meltaguns. Here's the list...

HQ:
Command Squad- Jr. Officer, Vet., standard bearer- 51pts

Infantry Platoon 1:
Command Squad- Jr. Officer, plasma rifle- 50pts

1st Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, heavy bolter team, grenade launcher-78pts

2nd Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, missile launcher team, plasma rifle- 85pts

3rd Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, heavy bolter team, grenade launcher- 78pts

Infantry Platoon 2:
Command Squad- Jr. Officer, grenade launcher- 48pts

1st Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, missile launcher team, plasma rifle- 85pts

Armoured Fist Squad:
meltagun, Chimera transport (turret heavy bolter, hull-mounted heavy bolter)-155pts

Vet. Squad of 10 :
Vet. Sgt., meltagun, 2 grenade launchers- 111pts

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Battle Tank- lascannon, heavy bolter side sponsons, searchlight- 166pts

TOTAL……….992PTS

I've 8pts left over so what to do? :? I'm thinking of ditching the searchlight on the Russ and the Vet. Squad in order to take 2, or maybe even 3, small remnant squads and equip them with light infantry, meltas, and maybe some flamers or grenade launchers. I'd appreciate all advice, criticizm, and comments. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
668 Posts
You're right. It is pretty balanced. You've got a good mix of anti-armor and anti-infantry weapons here, and it looks pretty good.

You should probably just stick with a multi-laser on the Chimera. I know the AP isn't as good, but the higher strength compensates.

Oh yeah, you do have a lascannon here. Take it off your Leman Russ, replace it with a Heavy Bolter and you've got your no lascannon list. It also saves you 10 points, so you actually have 18 leftover. You could buy another melta and another grenade launcher or something.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like the list.
I agree with SimulatedSnowman on the multi-laser on the chimera.
you've got 85 infantry and 2 tanks in 1000pts, nice..........
Give the commanders of the platoons carpace, if not all the officers. I figured this because platoon commanders tend to see more combat then the main commander

Overall, a very nice list ;Y

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
8 pts thatd be a second grenade launcher in that second platoons command for me!

Im not a great fan of your AF squad. Especially as the vet squad has the weapons it has. I'd reduce the vet squad down, give them all meltas and the chimera. Then use that squad to bolster a platoon with similar weapons to what you already have in your other line squads.

If you downgraded the russ lascannon and did a little tweaking you could get an honorifica
though I do think extra rmour or at least smokes on the chimera are needed.

Searchlights are near useless, get a bolter for a vet sarge or a bolt pistol or something equally as cheap.

Pretty nice list all in all

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up giving the chimera smoke launchers and the russ extra armour, this put my list up to an even 1000pts. However, i then lost the lascannon and the searchlight on my russ so now I've 11pts leftover. I'm probably gonna use these pts. to give my command squads a special weapon or iron disciplin, or maybe something else.

Commisarlestat...

I understand your point, but i would think the Vet. squad w/chimera would easily be overrun since there wouldn't be a squad of regular guardsmen ( if i take out the AF squad) to support them. I'm also thinking they'd venture out too far from the bulk of my force because they'd be all equipped with meltas. HOWEVER, i've little gaming experience...

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
why not compress both platoons into one? this would mean not having to take a second command squad saving some points (that second command squad is pretty pointless as its equipped right now IMO

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I rely on meltaguns instead of lascannons in my Night Lord army and, let me tell you, you don't have nearly enough of them to make a difference. I field five of them on fast units (bikes, Raptors) and even then it's marginal--I keep a powerfist backup in those squads. You have two meltaguns popping out of Chimerae? It isn't going to work and three missile launchers isn't going to pick up the slack, either. I advise either getting melta-obsessive (a melta in every squad), trading in the Armored Fist squad for Rough Riders with meltabombs instead of lances or rethinking your aversion to lascannons.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
It is a fair point but a small squad is often used as a sort of suicide squad. Send them after something big and nasty to take it down. If they do then great its sorted and they have paid for themselves.

Just because they are in a chimera doesnt mean that they need to zoom out ahead they could be used in the line to take out that annoying heavy hitter that is too close. The chimera can act as firesupport until its needed.

The thing is the Af squad is ineffective 1 melta attack at BS3 is what you are getting it's not really worth the 70 extra points it costs. Vets use the weapons better meaning that they can be relied on to do a job where the AF squad would falter. Basically the AF squad isnt that great but if you want to do something similar a well timed strike by vets can work.

Its all about getting to know how your list fights at the end of the day so you could play test with proxies but essentially the vet squad isnt that good (infiltrate doesnt always work to getthem ahead which is their only advantage in movement) and the Af squad as above isnt great either so shuffling them together to get something better saves you points and increases the effectiveness.

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Commisarlestate...

I actually revised my list and I'm more fond of it. I combined 1st and 2nd platoon, took the vet. doctrines and split them into two 6 man squads w/ three meltas. I also reequipped the AF squad just like my other platoon squads- plasma and a missile launcher. So, i've got 6 meltas for the enemy tanks or super-heavy-cheesey infantry :party:

·
596 Posts
Most of the time it is pretty easy for vehicles to avoid a slow moving melta totting squads. Even if they do infiltrate.

I suggest that you take the free drop troops doctrine just in case you want to deep strike them. You could still infiltrate them if you want, but at least you have the option.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure thing, here's the new list...

Doctrines: Veterans, drop troops

HQ:
Command Squad- Jr. Officer, Vet., standard bearer- 51pts

Infantry Platoon 1:
Command Squad- Jr. Officer- 40pts

1st Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, heavy bolter team, plasma rifle-80pts

3rd Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, heavy bolter team, plasma rifle- 80pts

4th Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, missile launcher team, plasma rifle- 85pts

5th Squad- Sgt. w/lasgun, heavy bolter team, plasma rifle- 80pts

Armoured Fist Squad:
plasma gun, missile launcher team, Chimera transport (turret multi-laser, hull-mounted heavy bolter, smoke launchers)-173pts

Vet. Squad of 6:
Vet. Sgt., 3 meltaguns- 83pts

Vet. Squad of 6:
Vet. Sgt., 3 meltaguns- 83pts

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Battle Tank- hull-mounted heavy bolter, heavy bolter side sponsons, extra armour- 160pts

TOTAL……….1000PTS

I'm not sure if I should replace the plasma gun in the AF squad with a grenade launcher since they'll be moving a lot...

Tell me what you guys think. :happy:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd say keep the plasma gun on the AF squad, but ditch the missile launcher. If you're going to use these guys as objective snatchers, it might be best to just rely on your Chimera for heavy weapons after deploying, and keep your guys in cover rapid firing at everything in sight. Your plasma gun is only a little less effective at beating armor than your missile, so if you deploy and move nicely, you should be able to get side/rear armor shots. I'd be more concerned with large groups of infantry coming at my AF squads, so a missile is kinda bleh.

You might take the points save off of that and buy your officers some Storm Bolters or something.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Better yet, a pintle stubber for the Chimera or meltabombs for the vet sarges. A grenade launcher would be a better choice for the AF squad than plasma--it's good enough for side/rear armor shots and it's always nice to not worry about range.

Have you considered my Rough Riders with meltabombs idea? It would really fit you list's theme.

Looking over your new list, I fear your Chimera will have real trouble. The only other tank is a Russ, so nearly all enemy autocannon and missile launchers will be pointed towards the weaker armor. If you have the models, it might actually be more feasible to drop it for two more Chimerae. Roughly the same firepower and risk is spread out more, and you have enough plasma not to worry so much about MEQs. (In this case, plasma would be better than grenade launchers for armored fists.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Intrepid...

so your sayin' i should give up the russ in order to field 2 more chimeras? well, actually i kinda like the idea, but it would seem they're too weak for most basic infantry guns, such as the bolter, so I would think it's better to have all the enemy's high strength guns pointing at my chimera rather than my russ (but i doubt they'll overlook the russ). Plus, i bought the battalion boxed set so I already have a russ and I plan to see it kill somethin'.

As for the rought riders, i do plan to use them...eventually. When deciding to command a Guard army I wanted it to be an aggresive force, or something equivilent, and not just a "sit back n' shoot" army, that's why i vowed to never use lascannons. But dude, i gotta tell ya...i HATE the rough rider models. The death korps of krieg ones are really nice, but their look doesn't fit with the rest of my cadian-looking force. However, i do plan to use them, i guess I'll just have to convert them.

Anyways guys, thanks for all your advice. I think I am now ready to defend and destroy. 8Y

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the same problem with the rough rider models. They're ugly, dated and in need of serious replacement as they don't fit in with any of the primary IG models. I have refused to user the current models and don't want to spend the money on converting my own. So I'm waiting until new rough rider models get released at some point. Hopefully some time soon.

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
so your sayin' i should give up the russ in order to field 2 more chimeras? well, actually i kinda like the idea, but it would seem they're too weak for most basic infantry guns, such as the bolter, so I would think it's better to have all the enemy's high strength guns pointing at my chimera rather than my russ (but i doubt they'll overlook the russ). Plus, i bought the battalion boxed set so I already have a russ and I plan to see it kill somethin'.

Or...and this is purely hypothetical you understand.....

You could get another Leman Russ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.