Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of my first test run of some Tyranids for my new army, and my first venture in assembly line painting.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c276/Xardian1/Tyranids/?action=view&current=SpineguantsFront.jpg

You can see one in the back with white teeth and claws where I tried drybrushing over the flesh-washed claws and teeth. I didn't like it much. the dirty look fits the nids more to me. So now I'm just gonna name him Waldo and mix him in with a horde of gribblies when I play.

Some little things, like the extra fleshy bits at the tops of the hooves I just missed while doing the brown on this batch. Next one will have that painted the same as the rest of the skin.

For the bases, I'm looking at doing little clumps of gravel and then static grass the rest.

The beedy black eyes and the little ports on the spinefists are gloss-varnished to give them a shiney wet look, though the flash on the camera drowned it out mostly.

Any comments would be quite welcome :)

· Registered
963 Posts
Xardian said:
I like that idea... I wonder where I could find itty-bitty fern type bushes for the bases :shifty:
you can find ferns and stuff in fish stores and craft stores near the fake flower stuff.

· Registered
903 Posts
XenomarinesKiller said:
you can find ferns and stuff in fish stores and craft stores near the fake flower stuff.
I was going to suggest that. ;)

I'd advise looking in a local pet store for plastic aquarium plants. They look plenty jungle-plant-like, and you generally don't have to repaint them (as they're usually nice shades of green).

· Registered
142 Posts
PoptartsNinja said:
I was going to suggest that. ;)

I'd advise looking in a local pet store for plastic aquarium plants. They look plenty jungle-plant-like, and you generally don't have to repaint them (as they're usually nice shades of green).
I was just goign to suggest that tip;) nice colors on your nids as stated perfect for jungles AND forests too

Reactions: Xardian

438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions :) Here's an update, now with bases!

http://photobucket.com/albums/c276/...tion=view&current=spineguants-front-based.jpg

I found some great aquarium plants I could use down at walmart. Long lferny-leafed strands that I just cut individual leaves off and glued to the bases to make large fronds. Add some mixed sand and static grass and voila!

Good? Ok? Stinky like old limburger?

*edit* Oh, and that nid way in the back-left? Yeah, he's head-banging. I almost greenstuffed an i-Pod onto him. Still might sometime. He just likes listening to Hive-Mind Radio with Lick Torre in the mornings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.