CCS Melta x 4, Chimera 145
Doesn't really need much of an explanation

Veterans, Melta x 3, Chimera 465
Veterans, Melta x 3, Chimera
Veterans, Melta x 3, Chimera
Hold objectives, kill things

LRBT, HB 300
LRBT, HB
People underestimate these tanks. They don't look especially effective compared to the demolisher or some other heavy support choices but the range of the battle cannon is great for achieving fire superiority right away in the setup faze. These help to force, even shooty opponents, who aren't quite as shooty as me to move towards me. They can move and shoot fine and inevitably get side armor shots around mid game with their superior range when set up on the flanks. Their lack of close range effectiveness and AT ability is easily made up for by mechanized melta vets.

Scout Sentinel Squadron, 1 LC, 1 AC 90
This seems like a weird combination but I had ten points left over. Their primary purpose is popping rear armor and transports so I don't see any conflict with 1 lc and 1 ac. Their secondary purpose is assaulting infantry.

*edit, All chimeras have hull mounted heavy flamers.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
HQ and troops are fine.

I like vanilla Russes. But 2 is too many at 1K. Trade 1 for a Hellhound. Also, the HB is a poor hull weapon. Either take a Heavy Flamer for free or upgrade to a lascannon for 1rst-turn transport killing.

Autocannons > Lascannons. So there's no reason at all to pay the extra points for a Sentinel Lascannon.

That should leave you 30 pts. for an Astropath, which I consider almost mandatory.

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HQ and troops are fine.

I like vanilla Russes. But 2 is too many at 1K. Trade 1 for a Hellhound. Also, the HB is a poor hull weapon. Either take a Heavy Flamer for free or upgrade to a lascannon for 1rst-turn transport killing.

Autocannons > Lascannons. So there's no reason at all to pay the extra points for a Sentinel Lascannon.

That should leave you 30 pts. for an Astropath, which I consider almost mandatory.
Thanks for the response Kgoreham.

I'd rather have another russ than a hellhound. I don't think I'll bring any of the hellhound variants with a mech list ever. The hellhound varients are great but they are either close range anti horde or a close range anti tank or a little of both. The melta vets aren't fast and their AT has even less range (but more likely to hit, multiple shots) so I know they aren't the same as a hellhound but I'm still spamming heavy flamers and melta guns so I don't think close range AT of AH is an area that this list is lacking. Part of the advantage to having two russes is their interlocking fire and range. I'm forcing you (unless you're Tau) to come to me. If you brought an almost identical list but with leman demolishers, you would have to push toward my line with your transports and tanks and everything. I would have the option to just sit tight and eventually be able to range all kinds of side armor shots on your vehicles. A hull mounted lascannon would be nice on them. My models already have HB though so I'm going to leave them for now. I'm already spamming heavy flamers though so I don't really need more on a tank that's trying to stay away from the enemy. If anything the bolter helps shoot troops and transports from a distance were the heavy flamer is just not going to get used and I have 4 already anyway.
sorry this is so long

I could take two autocannons on the sentinels and drop two meltas from the CCS and take an Astropath. Astropaths are money. I think I will do that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You're underestimating the Hellhound.

12" deployment + 12" move + 12" range = Auto-hit S6 SP4 flames anywhere up to your opponent's 12" line. If firing a multi-melta, you can hit anything up to his 12" line with 2D6 to pen, or 1D6 anywhere on the board.

It's the ultimate threat tank. Reasonably hard to kill, and too dangerous to be ignored.

The Russ is a flexible tank, but if you really want to kill armor, get 2 Hydras for the same cost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi

I like mechanised armys and this is a good one although there 2 things I would change.

1. Have u ever thought about trading a LRBT for 2 hydras or griffons. I love ding this as u get more 2 tanks for the price of 1.

2. I am all for melta vets but wen facing a horde army u may lack enough attacks per round to destroy enough of them so possibly take 2 squads with flamers and use the extra 30 points on giving a squad demolitions

Hope my advise helps

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You're underestimating the Hellhound.
The Hellhound is great. What I'm saying is that they fill a niche that is already filled. I already have 4 HFs and 11-14 (I'll probable take your astropath advice) MGs crammed into 1000 points so I don't feel like I need a Multi Melta or an Inferno Cannon to support that. I would like my list to be flexible and not feel forced to rush almost all of my opponents. If I take nothing but melta vets, demolishers and hellhounds, I might do great in city fights but on most tables my options become limited.

The Russ is a flexible tank, but if you really want to kill armor, get 2 Hydras for the same cost.
2 Hydras might kill ar 12 and below MUCH better (there is two of them) than 1 LRBT but they aren't better at killing horde*edit*2 of them might actually be arguable as good at killing horde but not MEQ* and I would not say they are better at killing armor. They can't do anything to a LRBT's front armor which is likely all they would ever see. I'd take Hammerheads if I could but I can't. The Russes flexibility is a good thing.

More importantly they is no model for them. I plan on building my own executioner turret later but I don't really want to build a hydra turret.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The Hellhound is great. What I'm saying is that they fill a niche that is already filled. I already have 4 HFs and 11-14 (I'll probable take your astropath advice) MGs crammed into 1000 points so I don't feel like I need a Multi Melta or an Inferno Cannon to support that. I would like my list to be flexible and not feel forced to rush almost all of my opponents. If I take nothing but melta vets, demolishers and hellhounds, I might do great in city fights but on most tables my options become limited.

2 Hydras might kill ar 12 and below MUCH better (there is two of them) than 1 LRBT but they aren't better at killing horde*edit*2 of them might actually be arguable as good at killing horde but not MEQ* and I would not say they are better at killing armor. They can't do anything to a LRBT's front armor which is likely all they would ever see. I'd take Hammerheads if I could but I can't. The Russes flexibility is a good thing.

More importantly they is no model for them. I plan on building my own executioner turret later but I don't really want to build a hydra turret.
I heard a rumour suggesting that kit for alternate russ bits could be found in the new demolisher kits. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I heard a rumour suggesting that kit for alternate russ bits could be found in the new demolisher kits. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
I don't know. The Hydra is on a chimera chassis though. HWSs aren't nearly as effective as they used to be so if you have one, and a leman russ turrent just get out the hobby knife, green stuff, and maybe your dremel, and make your own sweet executioner turrent.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The Hellhound is great. What I'm saying is that they fill a niche that is already filled.
You'd be surprised at how good an extra template anywhere within 12" can be. Chimeras can only move so far and still flame targets. In that way, I find a hellhound to be a wonderful addition to a Chimelta-heavy list.

Lascannons and battle cannons can't do jack to AV14 either. People just think they can. :)

If you need anti-MEQ foremost, take the Russ. If you need anti-tank more, take the Hydras. Both have their preferred targets but can pinch-hit for the other if need be.

Funnily enough, that's what I'm doing right now with plasticard and some infantry autocannons. But you can make a very usable model using the defense turret bits from the aegis defense line, which only costs $20.

Aegis Defence Line | Games Workshop

·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'd be surprised at how good an extra template anywhere within 12" can be. Chimeras can only move so far and still flame targets. In that way, I find a hellhound to be a wonderful addition to a Chimelta-heavy list.
I believe you. I do like flexible lists though. I like to adapt my tactics to the enemy, mission, and terrain, without changing what I'm bringing.
Lascannons and battle cannons can't do jack to AV14 either. People just think they can. :)
This isn't true. They can. I've SEEN it ;) You are right though, it is unlikely. All I'm really hoping for when I do this is a stunned or shaken result, which isn't that hard to get with these weapons. I prefer autocannons on sentinels but if I do take a lascannon I'm still looking for someone's rear armor.
If you need anti-MEQ foremost, take the Russ. If you need anti-tank more, take the Hydras. Both have their preferred targets but can pinch-hit for the other if need be.
If I'm guilty of any kind of list tailoring it's anti-MEQ. I do like having a flexible list because I feel that it adds to the fun of the game but most opponents are MEQs so why not bloody their nose.
Funnily enough, that's what I'm doing right now with plasticard and some infantry autocannons. But you can make a very usable model using the defense turret bits from the aegis defense line, which only costs $20.

Aegis Defence Line | Games Workshop
That is sweet. I knew that was out there I just couldn't remember what it was called. Maybe I'll build one someday. My chimeras are still in the mail though. If you have a shortage of melta models (I have NONE) they also sell these for an easy conversion.
Meltaguns | Games Workshop

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That is sweet. I knew that was out there I just couldn't remember what it was called. Maybe I'll build one someday. My chimeras are still in the mail though. If you have a shortage of melta models (I have NONE) they also sell these for an easy conversion.
Yeah, I WISH I could use those. But I collect 2nd ed Tallarn models. Which means I either get them in a trickle from eBay or pay GW $90.00 for 3 (plus 3 Grenade Launchers Woot!!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.