Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new at this. I have some figures I am painting but I don't have a rule book and I haven't played a game. I've always been into art and fantasy and one day on the spur of the moment I bought some gaming figures just to try painting (not nessicarily to play) as I've always wanted to try it. I have a topic in the Space Marine section as I first bought some marines. The guys there gave me heaps of good advice on how to learn the rules and where to buy stuff. I also decided to buy some Orks to play against my marines.

I'm about halfway through my Orks so far (they still need workin places).
What do you think? I enjoyed doing the checkers on them.

I put cuts in this guys helmet and arm.

I had so much fun painting these little guys

These are the marines I have painted (see the space marine thread for more pics)

I would appreciate any advice on collecting/painting and playing with orks. I would love to start playing soon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wow... I came in here expecting a noob list to critique, instead I got... some incredible paint jobs!

When you do your next ones, try lightening the contrast between the light and dark patches on their skin, in cases like the left three's left arms. But yes, those are... really good!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow these are really great... I'm also start to paint orks for the first time, but mine are no where near yours! You might want to look into basing (putting sand, etc.) these guys.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your orks are absolutely great! Nothing bad to say about them. You may want to add a layer of ink to the skin to smooth out the highlights, but the layers are noticeable only upon close inspection.

For the space marines, I'd recommend thinning the pain more. White is a b*tch to paint, and requires many very thin and liquid layers.

About collecting orks, I'd recommend starting with a bunch of boyz and a warboss. Then some killa kans and another squad in a trukk. That should bring you around 600-700 points.
After that, the fun really begins since you can really get into the orks' variety and tailor an army that you'll enjoy.

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Your Orks rule! I like the guy with the cuts. makes him look battlehardened!

Like AKM said, though, you're Space Marines could use some thinner paint. try dapping your brush in water before you put on the white. Im assuming you had to put loads of coats on because you painted from a black undercoat?

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Awesome paint job:w00t: You're an inspiration to paint better. Good job and I hope you stick to gaming with these guys!

Would love to see you paint some nobs and stuff.:yes:

·
846 Posts
wow, wasn't expecting that. Like darkhand I came in here expecting to see an army list and then getting some tips from it (starting orks soon). Instead I get to see some beautifully painted models. Good job. Hope you decide to stick with the hobby, you've got the painting down already.

·
494 Posts
Those Orks look great. You're ahead of me for sure. i just got back into the game, was fiddling with it in 3rd Edition but not really serious since 2nd Ed. Like you, I decided to start with Orks and Marines, my old favorites. I had to bring back Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa, of course, and now he looks much beefier in his new incarnation as the Warboss figure with the choppa and bare head. i also bought a nob, a Dread and a wartrak, and I am winning an Ebay auction for 2 kannons. I just need a couple of boxes of boyz and i have 600 pts to start.

I haven't dared to start painting my Imperial Fists yet--I hear yellow is at least as difficult as white, if not more so... :(

I'm anxious to assemble them so I can start painting and get them on the table!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have now based my orks nd i can't believe how much better they looked. It made a huge difference. I also played my first introduction game at my local store. I think I will go more into orks than marines now they are fun.

In regards to painting, because I have been an artist for a while, painting orks came naturally. In art you have to try and sense he volume of shapes and layer and shade them accordingly - find the ridhes of the face and cheeks and lighten them and stuff. With minatures, it's all done for you, you just have to paint by numbers sort of. Th only real challenge is working in the space about an inch! But I have really expensive brishes for that.

So I wasn't instantly good at painting orks, I had a lot of practice painting (plus I painted the marines first and when I got to the orks, I was a lot better).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got my War Trukk of Ebay. It seems awfully small! It seems that the 2 drivers look as though they are less than half the size of my existing ones, what's the deal with that? At first I thought I must have bought a toy version but I looked it up on games-workshop.com and it seems identical.

·
DING
1,740 Posts
Whats after happening there milkman is that wartrukk is from a game also produced by GW called GorkaMorka ( named after the ork gods of Gork and Mork!) which they transfered over to 40k. The problem is that it was a fairly old game and the quailty of the sculpts is not what we expect today. Never fear though, a new ork codex is on its way within the next two years, and many people are expecting new trukks and buggies. Congrats on going for the orks, the most characterful race in the game.

As for your painting, as I have said in another topic, its amazing. I have been painting for nearly ten years and my minis still don't look as good as yours! The bases make a huge difference and it is very well done. As I said before welcome to LO and the hobby!

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Yeah, the Ork trukks are way too small. It might be an idea to convert your own. go into a toy shop and get some tonka trucks, or something. they're a pretty good size. XD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got them from the local gaming store. They were a pack of four. I have since found out that orks in bigger boxed sets are moe customizable when putting them together.

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
it's the snap and click models released about last year november, ment to increase the range set with the BFM box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts