Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I was hoping to get some opinions on my first ever models that I have built and painted.
The very first try was on two rat ogres

Then the handlers

Some of my giant rats (OOP ones as old as mid 80s as well as current)

And finally some Nightrunners that are a mix of Mordheim and Warhammer plastics.

I still have 120 Clan and Plague Monks to do as well as Jezzails, Warpfire Throwers and Stormvermin!lol Will it ever end haha!
Every time I finish one I buy two more!

I have not had a chance to try out washes or use the new foundations, so I am hoping to get around to washing the flesh, bandages etc.
And keep in mind I had to borrow a camera too take pics and have no idea how to take a good pic!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Not bad at all for a first time painter or first time photos. The colours are nice and neat and crisp, the bases look good and the modelling looks fine (though there are some mould lines from the casting process on the rat ogres. Its a little late to do anything now as it would require repaints after but the line on the arm of the rat ogre in the final picture should be removed by scraping a craft knife with the blade angled away from the direction you're cutting along the "seam", this wrks for any lines like this on your plastic miniatures.)

The only thing I would mention re: the painting are washes and foundations, but seeing as you already intend to experiment with them I'll leave you to it and wish you the best of luck with them! Hope to see some more nice, shiny pictures too!

(Oh, and welcome to the forums!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
something i came across as a possible solution to prevent strenuous repainting, the mold lines on the ogres might be used as a muscle vein? with the right shading might prevent a lot of work :) just an idea from one young painter to another!
welcome to the forums and i also look forward to seeing more of your work as i don't get to see many newer painters who choose an army of such size.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
something i came across as a possible solution to prevent strenuous repainting, the mold lines on the ogres might be used as a muscle vein? with the right shading might prevent a lot of work :) just an idea from one young painter to another!
A good idea. A red wash (when you get them!) would do this well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad at all for a first time painter or first time photos. The colours are nice and neat and crisp, the bases look good and the modelling looks fine (though there are some mould lines from the casting process on the rat ogres. Its a little late to do anything now as it would require repaints after but the line on the arm of the rat ogre in the final picture should be removed by scraping a craft knife with the blade angled away from the direction you're cutting along the "seam", this wrks for any lines like this on your plastic miniatures.)

The only thing I would mention re: the painting are washes and foundations, but seeing as you already intend to experiment with them I'll leave you to it and wish you the best of luck with them! Hope to see some more nice, shiny pictures too!

(Oh, and welcome to the forums!)
Thanks! The line was one of those things you only notice (by Murphy's Law) AFTER the pic is taken lol

welcome to the forums and i also look forward to seeing more of your work as i don't get to see many newer painters who choose an army of such size.
Yeah I have a thing with hoarde armies as I like Tyranids too! My DH just suggested the vein thing just before I read this!

·
My backpack has JETS!
1,983 Posts
I think they look okay. Props for giving them a pretty smooth and even coat, well done. I do think they could do with a few highlights though. Just on the bits of raised skin, tips of horns/bones, tails, faces, fingers, etc. Just a touch of a lighter skin tone to really bring it out.

Similarly, give the fur a drybrush of a lighter colour too. Then I would suggest giving the whole model a wash all over. Devlan Mud is excellent and would work pretty well with a coat or two.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive seen these in real life and the photos don't do them justice, she is going to be a good painter in time. GD wiinner even? Keep it up Kitty. Ps I can't wait to see your pluge monks but I bet ill have my Chaos Dwarfs done befor I see that, oh well my be we can play 8th ed when it comes out. LOL

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
The good mix of old and new rats says to me that GW should stop discontinuing swarm models like those and just make less of them, as a mix of different sizes is something you don't see often and frankly is a bit silly - not all rats from the same brood are the same size!

·
The Uncivil Servent
900 Posts
They are the first miniatures you have painted? The quality is really good. My first ones looked like the guy that was on Turn Signals, the one he used to test the paint scheme of his army. *hides his head in shame* If your standard is that good already i can assure you that you will get on just fine.

Yup he looked like Veteran Trooper Smik though with a different colour scheme.

http://www.hughesd.co.uk/tsoalr/chars.htm

Check down the bottom of the link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.