Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all,
after nearly 7 years of dedication to my wood elves, I thought it was time to go out and search for a new army. I quickly stumbled upon chaos, as it had everything I was looking for: a few hard hitting units, the ability to play a fast armie, demons that reminded me of my good old forest spirits and a gnerally big flexible core section.
I came up with this, its 2250 points (the point rate me and the buddies use the most)
Any comments are (off course) more then welcome!

1 Chaos Lord Mark of Chaos Undivided; General; Frenzy; Chaos Armour
Black Maul
Enchanted Shield
Gaze of the Gods
1 Chaos Dragon
670 points

1 Bray Shaman @ 131 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Magic Level 1; Braystaff
Dispel Scroll
Dispel Scroll

5 Chosen Chaos Knights @ 270 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Barding; Chosen Unit; Shield; Standard
War Banner

5 Chaos Knights of Khorne @ 210 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; Barding; Heavy Armour; Shield

4 Chaos Knights of Khorne @ 177 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; Barding; Heavy Armour; Shield

5 Chaos Warhounds @ 30 Pts

6 Chaos Furies @ 90 Pts

5 Mounted Daemonettes @ 150 Pts

5 Screamers of Tzeentch @ 165 Pts

1 Hellcannon @ 295 Pts
Spell Breaker

Casting Pool: 3
Dispel Pool: 5
Models in Army: 52

Total Army Cost: 2248

Thanks in advance
WYSiWYG

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMO you've got too much magic defence. Drop the Shaman. You've got 4 Dispel Dices and a Scroll without him and he has no unit he can join. He's a waste of points. Your list should have no problems facing a magic heavy list, because your list is fast enough to get to combat and crush them IMO.

Dropping the Shaman will free some points up, which you could use to add one Knight to the unit of 4 and add musicians and champions to both units.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Gday, and welcome to Chaos. Soon, you'll be enjoying thumping elves into the ground!

Ok, here we go...

The Lord is perfect. Black Maul kick butt on a dragon 0 gives him AND the dragon and extra attacks - plus S7. Be mindful of his frenzied status, and don't rush him in. Bide your time, and threaten flanks CLOSELY. Most units will flee from this guys, so make sure you can catch them No good charging a unit 19 inches away. Get behind terrain, turn him around, whatever, to stop him getting baited. Learn to use this guy properly, and he will rule the battle field.

The bray shaman is a good move - but you need a beastmen unit to go with him! Id go for 18-19 beastherd, with 7-8 gor with 2xHW, full command. Not only can this unit screen nights really bloody well (saved mine against jezzails a couple of times...10 inches of movement isn't that bad...). Other than being a screen, this unit can fight pretty well too. Pick your targets. Wood Elves of all kinds are perfect for these guys to pummel (thought id throw that in!)

Chosen unit is good. Maybe with a big Chosen unit of doom, go with 7. This way, they can take a couple of casualties(and they will. they aren't invincible...) and still be effective.

I think that hellcannon is really going against the tactics of this army. That is, rush forward, and enter CC ASAP. Dragon ogres would be more valuable than this guy - A s7 monster unit that you can actually CONTROL. 4 with great weapons and light Armour are a little more than the hell cannon, I think tho. Spawn could be a cheaper option here, and will leave points for more chosen.

The daemons you've picked are fine - but I think 1 unit can be dropped. I would prob drop the Mounted Daemonettes for that beastmen unit you need, and that should leave spare for the Dragon Ogres. 5 s3 models worth 150 points is insane...i wouldn't bother. Yeah, they're fast, but even the slightest amount of shooting, and they're pretty useless.....

And if you needed points anywhere else, you could safely drop a hound unit. 2 should be enough to screen, capture quarters etc. One on each flank should do fine.

Hope that helps...

Tim

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Overall pretty solid i think, those 3 Knight units will be devastating. No too sure about the Shaman being needed, as said already.

Not sure about the Deamonettes, pretty expensive and kinda fragile. But they are cool. Could possibly drop a Screamer or two, im thinking a Chariot and/or Beast Herd would make nice additions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys,
First off all, thanks for the quick, helpfull and suporting replies. It's always fun not to be laughed at with a first attempt.:)
Then about your comments...
First off all, the bray shaman...
I lived in the opion he could join the hell canon, as I could find rules that forbid a mortal character to join beast units, but i failed to find the rule that forbids to do the opposite.
Apparently this is not the case, wich will, indeed, require a herd.
I'm quite afraid off there "unruly" rule dough, a 1 on there test can potentially be a lot more devestating for the unit (and the schaman) then a faild stupidity check on a unit or so... Am I overestimating the effect off this rule on the unit?:?
About the magic defense in general, the list will eventually be needed for usage at the ETC (the european championship...),...
I will not bother you guys to dead with the truckroad off rules, but suffice with saying you can more or less choose your apponent, and it is my job to stop the real magic heavy bastards... 4 DD an 1 scroll are not enough for that IMO (altough I agree with your idea in general and drop the shaman when fighting 2K)
Third, command models in units:
I do not want to challenge you guys' superior experience, but is a champ really worth those 20 points? I never bothered taking champs in my good old woodies, and hardly ever regreted it...
Fourth,
SLaanesh mounts...
I think I'm biased about this units...
yes, 150 points is a lot of points for 5 models with nothing but a demonic save,
but the unit has 15 magical attacks, of whom 10 with strenght 4 and the other five poisened, it deducts 1 off the leadership of enemy units in HTH, causes fear on the charge, and moves 20 inch...
It has more then once caused complete havoc in my wood elves... I rightly fear this unit, but i guess the unit only shines againts wood elves?
I also really like the models.
Last but not least,
my hell canon in comparison to dragon ogers...
I completely agree dragon ogers outrule a hell canon. I took a hell canon because:
I coverted/scratchbuilded my own hell canon and really liked the model...
I think dragon ogers are, togheter with furies, the most fugly models in the range...
I already converted furies from confrontation models dough, and will make me some decent dragon ogers too, when I find the models... Not many ranges have models that can be dragon ogers, have you guys found any?
cheers, and once again thanks for the quick help and replies!

·
7,143 Posts
In the kindest possible way, please try and watch your spelling, and language especially. Ill get a mod to edit that bit. Anyway:

Chaos Knight Champs are solid, and make for a good Challenge guy, even against some armies heroes.

The Beast herd failing Unruly doesnt make them Stupid, im not quite sure what you mean there.

I like the Hellcannon addition.

I think there are better ways to work in dispel power then taking a lone Shaman. A Khorne Chariot or two?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About my english, I am really sorry.
English is not my mother tongue, or even the language that i speak best after my mother tongue... The only english I learned is from watching "friends"...
sigh... I really cant help it...:(

The Beast herd failing Unruly doesnt make them Stupid, im not quite sure what you mean there.

I know this does not make them stupid... I mean it makes them unpredictable,... like animosity, or stupidity. I am afraid this will end up against me.

thanks for the replie

WYSiWYG

·
7,143 Posts
Oh ok, sorry, didnt mean to offend. No harm done?? :) To be honest from just Friends, you havent done to badly. Bearing in mind thats actually American lol, and your English seems better than most of theirs lol. I love that program too bw the way, currently making my way through them all... Anyway, probably should get back on topic...

Failing unruly, on average, will happen once per herd per game. And its not always a bad thing. By normal charge rules, herds wont get in if they are 10" away (as atleast 1/4 must be in charge range for herds) However, if the unruly movement takes them into contact at all then i believe its a charge. Still, just a unit to consider.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Isn't the Hellcannon a Daemonic unit, in which case only characters, who are also Daemonic may join it?

EDIT: Oh, I misread. I understood, that you still thought that your Shaman could join the Hellcannon. Sorry for the post.. :p

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the unruly rule too much. It contributes to this unit being dirt cheap anyway. See, at the start of the game, your moving forwards anyway. Also, since you test in compulsary movement, you dont test if you declare a normal charge. I f you fail, and are within charge range, you then have to charge that unit. So, can work like frenzy (the good bits..)

Yes, It can land you unit 2 inches away from the front of a chariot or knights ready to get pounded. All in all, take the good with the bad, and there's a lot lot lot more good than bad in this amazing unit.

Im extremely surprised that Mounted Daemonettes actually terrorised your wood elves...with nearly every model equipt with a bow, you should have pulverised them. Maybe with no static combat res, WE units can be threatened by these guys...but only 5 t3 wounds....bows should nail em.

Look, the hellcannon will well, dont get me wrong. Its just when all your unit end up in combat he may have nothing to shoot at. However, this does allow you to sit back a little bit, and disrupt the enemy...re-roll scatter dice + auto panic check really can ruin your enemies day. Let allow the fact the cannon is so damn hard to kill...

Good luck with the list, and let us know how it goes.

TIm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should have mentioned I always played my top lists without any shooting. (unless you count in the bow on my wizard and strangle root... ;))
Shooting just is not my thing, and never was... did I made a wrong armie choise all those years ago...0:
I now took an other approach on taking an army (7 years ago I stumbled in to the local games workshop and went like: wooow, I WANT that dragon! :happy:)

I'll just test the list as it is a few times, and tell about afterwards.

@ phoenix: no harm done dude... I understand you got irritated from all my spelling errors. As a primary school teacher, I know the feeling very well. And yes, friends rules! Altough I like the very english "allo allo" even more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.