Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being slaughtered at the hand of a choas iron warriors army i decided to change my list..
Heres the new one

HQ - 132
Chaplain- master of Sanctity- (used asmodai model ;))
Termie honours
Bolt Pistol
Frags
Artificer armour

(dropped the command squad from the old list)

Troops-
Tac Squad 1- 6 man shooty
Serg w/ bolter
Plasma gun
Plasma Cannon
3 bolters

Tac Squad 2- 6 man shooty
Same as above but lascannon instead of plasmacannon

Tac Squad 3- 10 man assult type
Veteran Serg w/ power first & Bolt pistol.
Melta gun
Heavy bolter (its only +5 points so why not)
7 bolters
(the chaplian will probably join this squad and go pick a fight with something)

Elites
Dread with Assult Cannon & Powerfist
Extra armour

DW Terminators
Serg w/ powersword & Storm bolter
2 w/ Storm bolters & power fists
2 w/ assult cannons & powerfists

Fast Attack
Landspeeder with Multimelta
Landspeeder Tornado with Assult cannon and heavy bolter
(basically 3 cheapish mobile heavy weapons, for securing objectives & hitting weak spots)

Heavy Support
Devs *7 man (will remain in one spot to guard deploymet zone from being captured)
4 missile launchers
serg w/ bolter
2 bolters (meat to guard the heavy weapons)

Whirlwind w/ extra armour (will deploy behind cover and stay there to provide support)

Pred annihilator with Heavy bolter side sponsons & extra armour (Will be used more offensively than the other 2 heavy supports)

The main weakness i can see is that the tac sqaud arent very mobile. with no rhinos or drop pods. hence why they are COUNTER-offensive. im hoping the sheer firepower of this list will give me enough of and edge to cancel out the weakness of low mobility

basically a fairly defensive army with a cr*p load of heavy weapons & 1 good CC squad & HQ for launching counter assults. and speeders for mobile support.
(by the way the main chages from the old list is that i dropped the command squad and the landraider to fund the points for the whirlwind and Pred)

let me know what u think

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
This is better then most of the lists youve made, but your lacking some critical units.

First, give your chaplain a jump pack, and give him a asasult squad, that way you have mobile infantry.

Remove the heavy bolters, why? because theses quads will be moving every turn, or in assault, so the turn when you get withen 12 inches of the oponent, you wont get the extra 2 shos if you just had a bolter.

Use plastic cups for drop pods, and give them to your men.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ok - let's sort out this list :)
DA_recruit said:
HQ - 132
Chaplain- master of Sanctity- (used asmodai model ;))
Termie honours
Bolt Pistol
Frags
Artificer armour
Drop artificier armour. You should be running him with a squad for protection anyway and using him to fight enemy HQ units. Anything worth killing will have power weapons, and you already have a nice +3 save. Let's not get greedy.

DA_recruit said:
Tac Squad 1- 6 man shooty
Serg w/ bolter
Plasma gun
Plasma Cannon
3 bolters
Good. Don't be afraid to drop them down to five if you need to make your close combat squads bigger.

DA_recruit said:
Tac Squad 2- 6 man shooty
Same as above but lascannon instead of plasmacannon
Same as above.

DA_recruit said:
Tac Squad 3- 10 man assult type
Veteran Serg w/ power first & Bolt pistol.
Melta gun
Heavy bolter (its only +5 points so why not)
7 bolters
(the chaplian will probably join this squad and go pick a fight with something)
Right - Drop the heavy bolter and here's why not. If this is an assault squad, it's going to be moving the whole time. If you want to fire the Heavy Bolter you've got to stop, and that wastes your close combat upgrades like the powerfist (and potentially your Chaplain).

DA_recruit said:
Elites
Dread with Assult Cannon & Powerfist
Extra armour
If you have 3 points left over - throwing smoke launchers on your Dread is where to go.

DA_recruit said:
DW Terminators
Serg w/ powersword & Storm bolter
2 w/ Storm bolters & power fists
2 w/ assult cannons & powerfists
Worst aspect of your list. The Terminator Squad itself is fine, but taking a Terminator Squad in anything less than 1750 points is usually a bad idea. That's 240 points tied up in five models. Drop them and invest the points elsewhere.

DA_recruit said:
Landspeeder with Multimelta
Landspeeder Tornado with Assult cannon and heavy bolter
(basically 3 cheapish mobile heavy weapons, for securing objectives & hitting weak spots)
The Landspeeder with the Multi-Melta could probably be better off with an Assault Cannon. I remember you saying you were trying to find one. I re-iterate what I said in that thread. Find a Tau player, he will have loads of spare burst cannons lying about. Burst Cannons make great Assault Cannon.

DA_recruit said:
Heavy Support
Devs *7 man (will remain in one spot to guard deploymet zone from being captured)
4 missile launchers
serg w/ bolter
2 bolters (meat to guard the heavy weapons)
Good, nothing wrong here.

DA_recruit said:
Whirlwind w/ extra armour (will deploy behind cover and stay there to provide support)
Drop extra armour. I know it's only 5 points, but if you need it your doing something wrong. Firstly you should be using terrain to protect your Whirly, the enemy shouldn't even see it. And if you find yourself moving, you can't fire your Barrage Weapon. IMO Whirlwinds don't need any upgrades.

DA_recruit said:
Pred annihilator with Heavy bolter side sponsons & extra armour (Will be used more offensively than the other 2 heavy supports)
Well, you've done something I don't like here, mixing anti-tank and anti-infantry weapons.

Example game. You fire at a tank - the Lascannon turret hits, the Heavy Bolters don't do anything. You fire at a cheap infantry squad, the Heavy Bolters hit and the Lascannon is expensive overkill. Dedicate your predator to a purpose and use it for that purpose. Mixing and matching weapons isn't a great idea.

Well, that's what I'd do. With the points you save, I'd invest in another big squad of infantry, you can never have too many marines. I'd also get another Dreadnought - when I take vehicles I either take lot's of them or none at all. Having 1/2 vehicles means your vehicles are nice defined targets for enemy fire. Having 3/4 means your enemy is stretching to concentrate on any particular one (my 1500 shooty list has 2 Dreads, a Pred and 2 Whirlwinds - see it posted in this forum).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. now that you mention it i agree with most of that. like the extra armour off the whirly. the arty armour off the chaplain.. the heavy bolter out of the assulting tac sqaud. all that would give me pretty much enough points for a drop pod too. Good advice, thanks.

The Only thing i dont agree on is the DW terminators being a waste.. and even if they are iv invested too much money and time in them to drop them (if u saw a pic u would agree). i already had to tear my hair out over having to drop the cmd squad and landraider (about $160 and afew days effort down the crapper) so the DW stay lol.. u could say im as stubborn as they are ;) hehe
(besides in my opinion if i can deep strike them and wipe out a enemy heavy weapons squad or 2 it will save me more than their 250 points in other casualties anyway)

however Changing the pred to single purpose unit is no prob at all, i havent got it yet. so ill make it all lascannons when i do :yes:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and i went with the multimelta speeder bcoz then all i have to do it get 1 Tornado and it will give me enough weapons for the new one AND the typhoon conversion.
Plus i want the meltas tank stopping power.. the guy who handed me the 'crushing defeat' has 2 preds. they ate me for breakfast.. so i cant wait to watch the F$&%^#'s burn!! :((

the only way i see to use tornado's well is to get them behind cover and wait 4 a good target to get within 12" plus the weapons range.. then move the 12" and attack. but get blown to pieces the next turn if you miss..
i think if i used this ambush style tactic to pop a tank with the melta. it would give me a huge edge, even if the speeder dies soon after (which it probably would)

·
494 Posts
I also think you need to leave the Deathwing, because it's fluffy. And make those speeders Ravenwing, if they aren't already.

I think the Pred annhilator with HB's is more tactically flexible and a better buy than one with all lascannons. And I like the fact that a single twin-linked lascannon is enough to decimate most enemy vehicles and scare everything else, which and autocannon certainly DOESN'T do... only AP4, heh. Should be better, according to the fluff, but that's another topic...

Anyhow, I think you could afford to throw in an assault squad to support the chaplain, since you need the mobility. i know it's trite, but in this case it's the perfect compliment to the rest of your list...

Good luck with Round 2!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yeah dude you could use some assault marines. 2 plasma pistol shots followed by 6 power weapon attacks followed by 27 marine hits followed by 4 powerfist attacks, all of which re-roll to hit.

Can you give a more detailed description of your opponent's list?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He Has:

-5 bikes
-2 predator annihilators with HB side sponsons
-1 havoc squad. w/ 1 autocannon. 1 lascannon. 2 krak ML's. and afew meatshield marines.
-3 tac squads. around 8 man strong. heavy bolters as their heavy wpns. (i think he was trying to save points on troops for those tanks and bikes)
-His HQ is nothing. a cheap 47 point Choas leuitenant with BP. he makes him join one of the tac squads. i wiped him & the squad out in CC with my chappy & smd squad (after crawling out of the burning Landraider, taking 1 loss)
-Dreadnaught with Assult cannon and powerfirst (he used a normal SM dread coz hes iron warriors. so he didnt want the demon looking choas dread)

i think thats all

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and i just got the jump pack sprue so i CAN give the chappy a JP if i want..
but if i DO go with an assult squad. what should i leave out for them? the landspeeders? as i said i dont want to leave out the DW termies, if they deep strike and wipe out those havocs then hes lost his main fire support for his tanks, allowing me to more easily flank them with the LST's

also, what should assult squad configs be? 5 man? 9-10 man? iv heard its the best to give them 2 plasma pistols and a serg with Powerfist.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
DA_recruit said:
-Dreadnaught with Assult cannon and powerfirst (he used a normal SM dread coz hes iron warriors. so he didnt want the demon looking choas dread)

i think thats all
Are you allowing him this sheerly as a house rule? Because CSM Dreadnoughts can't be armed with Assault Cannons.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come to think of it i think he uses it as a heavy bolter. or twin linked heavy bolter. & yeah its house rules. im pretty slack on 'wat you see is what you get' as long as its not cheating or unfair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts