Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always liked paladins, at least since first seeing the name in the AD&D Players Handbook. And I had toyed here and there of a space marine chapter with "paladin" in the title. There were the Imperial Paladins, but they were too Ultramarines looking and thought they'd get mistaken for them on the table. In the 5th Edition codex, on the pages with the galaxy map, there is a planet by the name of Fortress and this new chapter called Crimson Paladins. When I saw that, I just had to look into that chapter to see what they looked like and were about. Well, aparently there is nothing about them. That little listing being the only thing. So, if I were to do that chapter, I'd be making my own paint scheme and fluff. Here's what I've come up with.

Founding Legion: Imperial Fist
Founding: 13th
Chapter Master: Marcus Daedalus
Homeworld: Fortress
Monastary: Kantara
Colors: Halved gold and red (see my photos for a sample look)

The Crimson Paladins, also known as the “warrior monks of the Emperor” are a 13th Founding chapter long forgotten about until the end of the Badab War when they showed up to late to lend a hand. Their planet, Fortress, had been mysteriously missing from Imperial records.

Their history, now revealed, showed them to be a chapter founded in secrecy after the Exorcists by the Ecclesiarchy using the Imperial Fist gene-seed. Their original purpose was to keep and eye on the Exorcists to intercede if they fell to Chaos while battling the Daemons. Their brother-chapters include the Death Knights, Crimson Guard and Imperial Paladins. During the Warp Storms of the Age of Apostasy, the Crimson Paladins found themselves secluded from the rest of the Imperium and the Ecclesiarchy. During this time, Fortress was frequently invaded by the forces of Chaos but always successfully defended. From time to time, various battered ships of Orks, Eldar, and Tyranid would appear, apparently caught up in the Warp Storms and dumped near Fortress. Even Imperial ships would suddenly appear on rare occasion. One particular year in M36, a few ships containing Frateris Templar appeared, many of whom were recruited into the ranks of the Crimson Paladins. This was good fortune as the ranks of Crimson Paladins had been dwindling. This fortunate incident was known as the Emperor’s Blessing and from that point on, in honor of the Emperor, the Crimson Paladins painted half their armor gold, when originally it was all red.

The initial and primary recruits for the Crimson Paladins came from those who did not prove psychic enough to become Grey Knights and later recruited those from the disbanded Frateris Templars and their descendants.

Those Crimson Paladins who prove to excel in the art of martial combat rise to become Vanguard and remove the paint from their armor, exposing the grey-silver ceramite in the traditions of the Grey Knights. The Chapter Champion is drawn from the ranks of the Vanguard in a centennial tournament of hand to hand combat, after which he is quested to seek out and battle the Champion of the Feast of Blades in honorable combat. He does not return to the Chapter until he has done so. Vanguards who are especially pious rise through the ranks to become the Chaplains of the Chapter.
Those Crimson Paladins who prove to excel in the use of the holy bolter rise to become Sternguard. Company Captains are drawn from the best of the Sternguard in a competition of bolter marksmanship and troop leadership. When the time comes for a new Chapter Master, the old Master chooses among the Captains and Champions. If the Master is unable to, due to death, a tournament is held to determine the new Master of the Crimson Paladins.

Here is a sample of my paint scheme.

What 'cha think?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A few problems here:
Founding Legion: Imperial Fist
Founding: 13th
I would be very hesitant using the dark founding as your chapters point of origin. Regardless, it is canon that the geneseed used in the dark founding is unknown and lost - ie if they are 13th founding then they do not know which legion is their founding legion.

Their original purpose was to keep and eye on the Exorcists to intercede if they fell to Chaos while battling the Daemons.
Sorry, nope. The exorcists were experimental daemon hunters, each subject to intentional possession. Their canon states that the responsibility for watching them was given to the Grey Knights. Even if the responsibility had been given to a standard marine chapter it would most definitely not be given to another newly founded chapter.

During the Warp Storms of the Age of Apostasy, the Crimson Paladins found themselves secluded from the rest of the Imperium and the Ecclesiarchy.
If you want, but it is kind of like ending a story with "...then I woke up and realised that it was all a dream." Also - are you saying that the whole chapter was on Fortress when this happened? Usually the majority of a chapter is off world either campaiging or training.

During this time, Fortress was frequently invaded by the forces of Chaos but always successfully defended.From time to time, various battered ships of Orks, Eldar, and Tyranid would appear, apparently caught up in the Warp Storms and dumped near Fortress. Even Imperial ships would suddenly appear on rare occasion. One particular year in M36, a few ships containing Frateris Templar appeared, many of whom were recruited into the ranks of the Crimson Paladins. This was good fortune as the ranks of Crimson Paladins had been dwindling.
Frequent Chaos (and less frequent ork, eldar and tyranid) invasions, all unuccessful in over 4000 years of no resupply and with only 1 influx of new recruits? Beyond unlikely.

The initial and primary recruits for the Crimson Paladins came from those who did not prove psychic enough to become Grey Knights
Sorry, no second chances for these guys. If they haven't the physical, mental or psychic strength to complete the training they are not sent to join a chapter of dropouts. They die or become servitors.

The Chapter Champion is drawn from the ranks of the Vanguard in a centennial tournament of hand to hand combat, after which he is quested to seek out and battle the Champion of the Feast of Blades in honorable combat.
How did they handle this during their isolation? If they are truly isolated from the imperium they woldn't even know if the Fists still existed let alone who happened to be the latest FoB champion.
Vanguards who are especially pious rise through the ranks to become the Chaplains of the Chapter.
Chaplain candidates are selected long before they have risen to become vanguard. About 150 years before then at least (often whle still fighting as a scout).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kkd, thanks :)

Corianis, great info. It sucks trying to come up with fluff for a chapter when you only know a wee smidgeon of the 40k backstory that exists. I figured by posting what I came up with here those who are most knowledgable would find the holes. Sounds like I have more than holes, I have canyons! LOL

The statistical errors can be easily fixed. Now how to make the fluff interesting without stepping on restricted cannon. Hmmm....

Thanks again for your feedback. :)

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I think the problem is that you have too much stuff goign on.

I would either have them as a super secretive Chapter linked to the Grey Knights or Exorcists in some way.....

OR

Have them as a lost Chapter that has emerged from the warp after thousands of years isolated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good advice VisQ. I had a bunch of ideas hit me and I tried to work them all into the backstory. Focusing it will be a lot better.

I really want to go with something explaining why they haven't appeared until the 5th Ed. Codex. So I'll probably go with an old Chapter long forgotten and which has re-emerged.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a second go at it:

Founding Legion: Crimson Fists
Founding: Forgotten
Chapter Master: Marcus Daedalus
Homeworld: Fortress
Fortress-Monastary: Kantara
Colors: Halved gold and red (see my photos for a sample look)

It is unremembered when the Crimson Paladins chapter was founded, but their personal history shows them participating in battles along side such Chapters as the Crimson Fists, Imperial Paladins, Crimson Guard, Grey Knights and Death Knights as early as M35. But their history also shows their chapter was almost no more.

In the beginning days of the Warp Storm of the Age of Apostasy, Chaos Space Marines attacked Fortress, the Crimson Paladin’s home world. All Crimson Paladins were called back to defend their planet and were successful in driving off the Chaos attack, but with heavy losses to the chapter and much destruction to the planet. In the aftermath, the Crimson Paladins found themselves secluded from the rest of the Imperium due to the Warp Storm. While waiting for the Warp Storm to end, the Crimson Paladins spent their days rebuilding their planet and training for the time when they would be able to answer the Emperor’s call to battle once again. Eventually, battle found them as a lost Chaos Space Marine ship appeared out of the Warp Storm. They wasted no time laying siege to Fortress and catching the Crimson Paladins off guard. Over half the chapter and most of their heavy equipment were destroyed in the many battles against the Chaos Marines. All looked hopeless as the forces of Chaos made their way closer to overtaking Kantara itself when two Imperial ships, which had been blown off course by the Warp Storm, appeared suddenly near Fortress. Loaded with Frateris Templar, they wasted no time attacking the Chaos invaders. These additional forces were enough to change the tide of battle causing the Chaos Marines to retreat back into the Warp. This fortunate incident was known as the Emperor’s Blessing and from that point on, in honor of the Emperor, the Crimson Paladins painted half their armor gold, when originally it was all red.

After the Emperor’s Blessing, witnessing how bravely the Frateris Templars fought, the Crimson Paladins sought out and recruited from the disbanded Frateris Templars and their descendants. What is perhaps unique to the Crimson Paladins, each recruit must procreate and bring forth a son before the official aspirant process begins. The quest to find these men continues to this day.

Those Crimson Paladins who prove to excel in the art of martial combat rise to become Vanguard and remove the paint from their armor, exposing the grey-silver ceramite in a fashion similar to the Grey Knights. The Chapter Champion is drawn from the ranks of the Vanguard in a centennial tournament of hand to hand combat, after which he is quested to seek out and battle a Champion of the Feast of Blades in honorable combat. He does not return to the Chapter until he has done so or is called back.

Those Crimson Paladins who prove to excel in the use of the holy bolter rise to become Sternguard. Company Captains are drawn from the best of the Sternguard in a competition of bolter marksmanship and troop leadership. When the time comes for a new Chapter Master, the old Master chooses among the Captains and Champions. If the Master is unable to, due to death, a tournament is held to determine the new Master of the Crimson Paladins.

Better?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice Dristam, the fluff all holds together and gives you a nice foundation to add personal stories for your models as you go (should you wish to). Includes customs, history, and a rationale for taking/leaving certain units. Seems that the warp storm is still secluding the chapter though, and I would add the arrival of the lost chaos ship, the Emperor's Blessing and the dispersion of the warp storm into a time line.
There is also some scope to write about the Imperium's reaction to the chapter's reappearance - likely involving Inquisitorial involvement to be sure that the chapter has not been tainted by heresy, mutation, etc during their seclusion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Corianis those a great suggestions of details typical to 40k fluff and simple enough to do.

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kudos on the fluff. I will post more when I have more. In the mean time, I've been hard at work painting the army in what ever free time I can get (I'm a new dad). I've updated the link to my army sample in my initial post though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts