Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i'm new to using Tyranids and my friend has given me his old ones along with me buying two battleforce sets. I could really use some advice on my arrmy thus far and what I should put on my carnifex. I have already been told that I need more gaunts, and zoanthropes but my summer job doesn't start till well the summer so money for me won't come until then. I am trying to get a feel for Tyranids and get a 1500 point list with what I have so far.
I ALSO OWN AN UNBUILT CARNIFEX AND WAS REALLY WONDERING WHAT I SHOULD MAKE IT INTO IF IT IS GONNA GO WITH THIS ARMY.

HQ:Hive Tyrant
Symbiotes: Lash Whip and bonesword, barbed strangler
Biomorphs: none
Physchic Powers: Synapse, The Horror, Warp Blast
Total: 125

HQ:Broodlord
Symbiotes: Rending Claws and Scything Talons
Biomorphs: Feeder Tendrils , extended carapace
Physchic Powers: Synapse
Total: 83

Genstealer Retinue (10 to go with brood lord)
Symbiotes: They have Scything Talons, and rending claws
Biomorphs: Feeder tendrils and extended carapace
Total: 240

Elite: Lictor
Symbiotes: Scything Talons and rending claws
Total:80

Elite: Warriors
Symbiotes: Scything talons, 2 deathspitter, 1 barbed strangler, 1 venom cannon
Biomorphs: Toxin sacs
Total:98

Symbiotes: Scything talons, 2 deathspitters, 1 venom cannon
Total:103

Troops: 12 Hormagaunts
Symbiotes: Scything Talons
Biomorphs: None
Total: 120

Troops: 20 Termagaunts
Symbiotes: Fleshborer

Troops: 16 Spinegaunts
Symbiotes: Spinefists
Total: 80

Troops: 3 Ripper Bases
Symbiotes: 4 Spinefist rippers
Total: 34

Fast Attack: 3 Raveners
Symbiotes: Two sets of Scything Talons
Total: 114

Heavy Support: Carnifex
Symbiotes: Scything Talons and Venom Cannon
Biomorphs: Tusked, Scythe tail, Spine banks
Total: 153

Total for Army: 1350

So I have 150 points to make the best carnifex for my army.

Other things I have are:
18 Genestealers
4 termagaunts
1 biovore
4 ripper bases

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're not supposed to tally up the points per upgrade like that. Its against forum rules. Also, I think the tyrant is limited to one psychic power. If you want to take hormies, I'd recommend giving them toxin sacks and maybe some other upgrades, otherwise you're better off just assaulting with spinegaunts. For the extra carnifex, consider the all-powerful "dakkafex" (enhanced senses and two sets of twin linked devourers.) These guys mow down infantry like some kind of alien Chuck Norris, and they don't break the bank on points. Also, give the rippers enhanced senses. With that many shots, its a big help having a slightly better chance to hit. Lastly, I'd say tool up your tyrant to either rock in melee or at range. Splitting your focus makes him sort of waste half his power a turn AND hikes up his points. If you decide to make him a footslogging badass, consider getting some tyrant guard to keep him alive longer.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Symbiotes: Lash Whip and bonesword(15), barbed strangler(15)
Physchic Powers: Synapse, The Horror, Warp Blast (20)

The Lash Whip and bonesword is considered one of the weapons Hive Minds usually don't use. Also the Tyrant can only have 1 physichic power. Most people, when using Tyrants, have either completely CC Tyrant, which will then have wings, or completely ranged. Usually it is a must to either have warp field or Warp Blast.

Biomorphs: Feeder Tendrils (3), extended carapace (10)

No comments. It is the usuall build.

Total: 210

not to bad, just make sure they stay in covor. The only thing is that the 10 that will go with the broodlord donæt need feeder tendrils as they will have the same effect because of the broodlord.

Lictors are usually a hit and miss troop, but its a good model.

don't use warrios. No comments.

see above.

no comments.

I would advise splitting this into two broods for the reason of claiming objectives.

see above.

not many people use rippers, and I don't either, so I can't comment.

have fun :D

same as with the Tyrant, you should make this either CC or ranged, or an elite (as in troop slot). All the biomorphs there are not the best. For ranged enhanced sences would be the best, and for CC Adrenal glands or Toxin sacs are good.

Total for Army: 1320

So I have 180 points to make the best carnifex for my army.

It depends on your army. I think the best choice would be a sniperfex (venom cannon, barbed strangler, enhanced sences...) or a dakkafex/devilfex (2 twin-linked devourers, enhanvced sences).

Other things I have are:
18 Genestealers
4 termagaunts
1 biovore
4 ripper bases

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not too bad for a first. I don't have the codex with me, so I might be a bit off with a few things. The points listing per each bio morph i.e venom cannon (x) is not allowed, as it is against GW copyright rules. Also for next time, this goes in the Tyranids army lists sub forum. ;)

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
Hi i'm new to using Tyranids and my friend has given me his old ones along with me buying two battleforce sets. I could really use some advice on my arrmy thus far and what I should put on my carnifex. I have already been told that I need more gaunts, and zoanthropes but my summer job doesn't start till well the summer so money for me won't come until then. I am trying to get a feel for Tyranids and get a 1500 point list with what I have so far.
I ALSO OWN AN UNBUILT CARNIFEX AND WAS REALLY WONDERING WHAT I SHOULD MAKE IT INTO IF IT IS GONNA GO WITH THIS ARMY.

Symbiotes: Lash Whip and bonesword(15), barbed strangler(15)
Physchic Powers: Synapse, The Horror, Warp Blast (20)

Biomorphs: Feeder Tendrils (3), extended carapace (10)

Total: 210

Total for Army: 1320

So I have 180 points to make the best carnifex for my army.

Other things I have are:
18 Genestealers
4 termagaunts
1 biovore
4 ripper bases

well

for starters:
You have some serious synapse issues in this list.

I wouldn't run warriros at all and scrapping them leaves you short on synapse. Dual tyrants as what I would recommend as a minimum and I almost allways take zoans to back them up. you don't want one flank collapsing just because of some stray bolter shots.

You tyrant loadout makes me wonder what you want to do with it. since you don't have 30+ rippers the catalyst is really wasted and the barbed strangler really doesn't do much without venom sacs. I wuld make this one either dedicated cc or dedicated shooty and either way if you don't throw wings on it give it some guards.

I would reccommend a flyrant with warpfield and dual devourers and venom sacs and enhanced senses at around 196 points
or
a cc monster with dual scything talons venom sacs and 2 guards just run it across the board as a bait for the guns while you sneak in your other nasties.

Lictors... hmm run them in pairs or not at all. with the rending nerf they really arent as good as they used to be and don't expect them to survive cc either. they are one shot anti artillery nothing more.

warriors... dirt expensive and not very good you get alot more for less with HTs and zoans.

Hormaguants should allways have 1 biomorph personally I prefer +1I but others prefer +1WS either way you increase their killyness alot with very low extra investment. the squadsize is too small. hormies should run at 16+ models because at least 8 will die on the way over the board if nobody is paying attention to them and if somebody is apying attention to them at least they will have to shoot 24+ bolters at them before they die.

now the fleshguant squad you have I really like 20 models is good fleshboarer is very good run with that... it's unexpectadly good vs meqs that often ignore them to shoot fexes and such and then eating 10 hits in the face with some nice rerolls if you get lucky you can force a morale test on somebody with just one volley.

spineguants are fodder... and for 1 more point you could get something good instead. get moar fleshguants instead unless your planning a floodlist in which case you should have about 150 spineguants on the table minimum.

rippers are nice but you need lots of them and you need catalyst. shooty rippers have been tried but then you need even more of them. I would reccommend running tons or none. (try doing the math of 60 shooty spinerippers fully tooled (+1S +1BS ) backed by catalyst tyrants bwahahhahaha... doesn't work but its alot of fun to play with)

raveners.. well raveners are good. the squad size is also good but they absolutly should have rending.

fexes now there are alot of theories about fexes none of which includes tusked and spinebanks but hey it's your army (and that goes for all the trash I said above too :p )
I hope you are planning on getting more fexes because theya re the backbone of nids really since rending was nerfed. they are your only AT and your only good way of handling crowds as well as the only things in the army that can actually take a beating. The thing with fexes is to keep them dirt cheap and specialized. you either kit it for sniping barbie+VC or you kit it for medium ranged meq busting dual TL devs or you kit it for cc dual scything talons. thing is only one of these versions is actually heavy support and thats teh sniper there is a cheap one for 153pts with 4 wounds 2+sv and an expensive one with 5 wounds 2+ save @ 188 points and then there are those that say fexes dont need extended carapace and for most of the time tey don't since they will be eating tons of ap2 anyways so its just wasted. however there are moments in every fexes life cycle when they wish they had EC so I usually take it for good meassure.

Rethink your list.
1 how do you intend to win?
2 how beardy do you want to be?
3 what models do you like?
4 what sort of play do you like?

start out by focusing on cc or shooty then move on to establish a decent cc base or a decent shooting base.

for cc I would do something like this

HT +2 guards 2 scything talons +1S EC warpblast or catalyst 250ish
HT + wings +2scthing talons +warpfield 160ish

10 genestealers +EC + fleshooks 210
10 genestealers +EC + fleshooks 210
16 hormies +1I 176
16 hormies +1I 176
20 fleshguants 120
3 zoans with warpblast and synapse 195
2 cc fexes dual scything +1WS mace tail 113 each

total 1723 which gives some room for my miscalculation of the tyrants
for something more effective Id skip the stealers all together and throw in 3 more fexes but thats just me

for shooty you could get
2 sniper tyrants + 2 guards 272 each
16 fleshguants 96
16 fleshguants 96
16 fleshguants 96
16 fleshguants 96
16 fleshguants 96
16 fleshguants 96

3 zoan warpblast synapse 195
2 sniper fexes 138ish I think
1 cc fex 113 terminator deterrant

41 points to plug holes with maybe some acid spore mines or something.

these lists are just boring examples but they show what you can do with synergy. get units that complete eachother like the gunline guant list giving cover to your MCs above.

If you tweek abit iwth the codex you can prolly come up with something horrendous like catalyst rippers en masse backed by choir and pinning guns.

have fun

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for all of the advice. I'll keep what you said in mind. But I already have all that stuff glued on the carnifex so do you know a way to pull apart superglued plastic models?

Also catalyst comes with lash whip and bonesword, also he comes with the horror and synapse so the only thing I pay for in points is warp blast.

Would my army be able to handle tanks though?

·
814 Posts
The short answer is: No. 1 warpblast on an unguarded tyrant is not enough @ 1500. you should have 3 sepparate warpblasts and or 2 S10 venom cannons and 2 S8 barbed stranglers for AT the alternative is ignoring armour alltogether but that doesn't really work all the time.

You need zoans and sniper fexes. Lictors just don't cut it anymore.

ungluing it... supeglue breakes real easy so just snap it ofcourse you risk breaking the whole thing doing that but atleast it isn't proper plastic glue

·
Registered
534 Posts
I won't comment too much on your list, other did that for me.
Though 1 thing to point out: you can only have 1 venom cannon OR 1 barbed strangler in a warrior brood, not both!

As for your carnifex problem, it would be good to make it a gunfex out of it (enhanced sences, venom cannon, barbed strangler) or something equivalent. You don't have that much anti-armor in your army, so that is a thing to improve.

Although a more useful comment, would be to but in more synapse. You only have about 6 warriors and 1 hive tyrant and the broodlord. I'm worried the most about those 2 small warrior broods, because they can be destroyed quite quickly. But since your can't solve that problem at this point, I'd say your just keep that in the back of your head. Maybe you can just but a big carnifex in from of those warriors, trying to block LOS to them :soldier:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Symbiotes: Twin Linked Devourers (x2)
Psychic Powers: Synapse, The Horror, Warp Blast
Total: 111

Biomorphs: Feeder Tendrils , Extended carapace
Psychic Powers: Synapse

Total: 240

Symbiotes: Scything talons, 2 deathspitter, 1 barbed strangler

Biomorphs: Adrenal Glands (WS), Toxin Sacs
Total: 156

Troops: 12 Termagaunts
Total: 72

Troops: 12 Termagaunts
Total: 72

Troops: 8 Spinegaunts
Biomorphs: Without Number
Total: 64

Troops: 8 Spinegaunts
Biomorphs: Without Number
Total: 64

Fast Attack: 3 Raveners (one is the red terror but I don't think his rules apply anymore)

Symbiotes: Scything Talons, Scything Talons
Biomorphs: Scythe tail, tusked
Total: 111

Heavy Support: Devil Fex
Symbiotes: Twin Link Devourers(x2)
Biomorphs: Enhanced Senses
Total:113

Total for Army: 1491

Any other thoughts on my new list?

·
814 Posts
Ill make this short

tyrant needs wings and warpfield and enhanced senses if you are kitting it with devourers or dual scything talons venom sacs warpfield and wings and warpblast if you dont run devourers

broodlord needs venom sacs

your warriors now feel much better but consider boom for buck with reference to zoanthropes + zoans look awesome.

hormies should not be over equipped and you need a bigger unit still go for +1 WS or +1I or +1S as soon as you mix them the homrmies become a bit too obvious and will get bolted to smitherens. (see baitfexing...)

mixing termies and spineguants is cool. small units may be overlooked but will get massacred as soon as somebody pays attention to them.

raveners should ahve rending imo. rending kills the extra attack doesn't

fex 1.. throw in +1WS on it trust me it will greatly improve its killyness.

fex 2 love it.

If this is the models you have it's not a bad start at all. And a force like the one you have built will have a great ability to grow and evolve over time into something not just awefully fun but also rather killy. I'd say take what you have to the store and try it on for size.

looking really good :) for the swarm or something and death to the false emperor may you devour his carcass etc etc...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much I think i'm gonna get rid of the lictor and take away the toxin sacs on the hormies which will give me enough point to make all your suggested upgrades. Plus I'm gonna see if I can't get a hold of a tyrant guard or two and add them in there.
But I'm probably not gonna add wings to the tyrant just cause it's so expensive.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ps yust a hint warriors shud be fielded in units of 4, 5, 6 if any smaller it get cut down 2 fast if bigger then 6 peaple tend to wanne focus on them and fore about 35-40 points a pice thats rong

i go with 4 but 5 woold probbebly be better

doont agree with toxic sacs on brood lord but that depends on wat army your facing and wat you like he is alredy the moost sceary thing on the feald (imo better then the blood deamon becus of retenue and stuff) but with toxic sacs peaple will wet them self's

i have carped so its a pain when that happends

1 - 11 of 11 Posts