Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my Chaos army is practically finished and just how I like it, I'm turning my attentions to building an army that is much more fun to play. While I love my Chaos, they're designed for maximum efficiency in a game, and can sometimes be a stress to play. So I'd like to build something that is more relaxed that I can simply enjoy playing instead of worrying about keeping up the army's reputation.

I was looking at building a Drop Pod army. My idea is an off shoot of the Salamanders, utilizing large amounts of Melta weaponry and Flamers. I couldn't quite seem to make it work just right using normal Space Marine rules, but the Space Wolves fit quite well. So while the list utilizes Space Wolves rules, the general "feel" of the list is more in line with Salamanders.

Headquarters - 380 points

Venerable Dread - 210 points
+Multimelta
+Heavy Flamer
+Extra Armour
+Drop Pod

Wolf Guard Battle Leader - 85 points
+Frost Axe and Bolter
+Wolf Pelt

Wolf Guard Battle Leader - 85 points
+Frost Axe and Bolter
+Wolf Pelt

Elites - 300 points
Dreadnaught - 150 points
+Assault Cannon
+Heavy Flamer
+Extra Armour
+Drop Pod

Dreadnaught - 150 points
+Assault Cannon
+Heavy Flamer
+Extra Armour
+Drop Pod

Troops - 1120 points
Grey Hunters Squad - Nine Hunters and one Wolf Guard Leader - 280 points
+Bolters X8
+Meltagun
+Powerfists X2
+Wolfguard armed with Bolter + Powerfist, Wolf Pelt
+Drop Pod

+Bolters X8
+Meltagun
+Powerfists X2
+Drop Pod

+Bolters X8
+Meltagun
+Powerfists X2
+Drop Pod

+Bolters X8
+Meltagun
+Powerfists X2
+Drop Pod

That's the list I have at the moment. Let me explain the choices.

The Ven Dread is there to allow me to choose who goes first 75% of the time. Usually I'd force the opponent to go first, so he only recieves four shooting phases, while I'd recieve five.

Ven Dread has a Multimelta as I felt it fit the fluff I'm aiming for as well as making use of his increased BS. The other two Dreads are..... "in training".... and haven't earned their Multimeltas yet, but still make use of Flamers. The idea is to Drop Pod them in the middle of the enemy lines and either Melta a tank, or burn away large amounts of troops with Heavy Flamers.

The Battle Leaders are fillers. I really dislike at being forced to take 3 HQ choices, but I figure I can use those two to help thin out enemy lines. A less experienced opponent may just march parts of his army towards the two HQ units, leaving more options for my Drop Pods to land in key spots. At worst, I'm out 170 points.

The Troops squads drop and make use of their Bolters as best they can. I gave them a meltagun as I felt a single Multimelta dread was too risky to use as my only anti-tank.

Now, I have 50 points left over. I've had some ideas, and need some input on which would be better.

1) Upgrade the Battle Leaders a little bit.

2) Drop a Grey Hunters pack and reinvest the points into some Predators. This really kills my fluff, and doesn't fit the Drop Pod theme.

3) Drop a Grey Hunters pack and buy some Land Speeders. They can DS with the rest of the army. They'd probably be armed with Multimeltas and Heavy Flamers, just to fit the theme. They'd also make for excellent secondary anti-tank, should my Ven Dread fail.

4) Upgrade the Wolf Guard Leaders in each Hunters pack with a few toys.

Comments, criticisms, whatever is appreciated.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I personally think a wolf lord would be nice, but as there aren't many dedicated assault units it probably isn't worth it.

Some wolf tooth neckalces on your wolf guard may be better (just to make them that bit more killy :) )

Otherwise that as definately solid list.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts