Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it with people's fascnations with sticking guns on carnifexes. Well they are very good and effective, BUT for less point I like to put on 2 pairs of scything talons so as to gain+2 attacks. That with extended carapace makes my carnifex the most electrifying model in close combat attacks. Seeing as the Nids are a close combat army why not go all out? Guns are overrated is what im trying to say, he draws just as much firepower as ons with guns and he can do a lot more in close combat. Thats just my take on the whole thing...do you guys use Carnifexes like i do too?

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
well, this is what the old carnifex was like (plus a butt ugly model ;)
well, I like to equip him with one weapon, plus scything talons. the extra attack lost is made up for his ability to smash asunder lots o fun things on the few rounds it takes him to get into cc. otherwise, he's just looking stupid standing there, trying to get into cc, like the hormagaunts, only they leap! :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The carifex is a tank killer, not a tank or infantery shooter...
So do what he's made for, kill tanks and other people in close combat, lots of attacks and much strength...

Kasutta!

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
well, as a tank killer, ok, but I seldom face opponents fielding all tanks. so for the rest, I'd rather have a winged hive tyrant with 2 scything talons (he get's on more attack than the fex, and he flies! :) plus yoiu can take a nifty psychich effect for him to use until he reaches cc.

remember, each round spent trying to close with the enemy, is [insert points cost] wasted that round. that's how I see it anyways...

·
Registered
295 Posts
have u guys imagined a carnifex with 2 BARBED STRANGLERS?! guess not... 4 shots S8 ord blasts, imagine what that can do... ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Hive Tyrant is just like that CryoGen. Thats the beauty because my gaounts get into cc and the only thing the enemy can do i wait until the big hurt comes to finish them off! HAHAHA!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Send gaunts on them, with stealers behind to be blocked from Line of Sight, and then go with like hive tyrant with 2 venoms? or maybe carni with 2 barbes? :twisted:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Digimon:
A model can use only one ranged weapon per turn, so it is pointless to give it two ranged weapons, except for versatility (that's very expensive and often not worth the points though). A model even cannot have the same weapon twice.
A barbed strangler is assault 1, not assault X.

jwu

·
Registered
295 Posts
versatility?! What's that? well well... but why does it say barbed strangler 35/40 pts or something? And in the codex it says choose 2 wpns, doesn't it mean the first costs 35 and the second 40?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The second value is for the case that the fex has toxin sacs or exceptional size, you use it if you have a S10 fex.

I don't remember where it is written that you may not have the same weapon twice (with scything talons being an exception), but you definitely may only use one ranged weapon per turn, so two stranglers are pointless.

Versatility is the ability to fight different types of targets. A strangler works well against light infantry, a venom cannon works well against tanks. With both weapons, you can fight both types of enemies very well, at least in ranged combat. But that's very expensive and usually not worth the points - better use only one ranged weapon and a set of scythes.

jwu

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
digimon:
the stealers can't hide behind the gaunts either.
the rule states that LOS is not blocked by your own units, unless they are in CC. Which in effect, go figure, means that the marine can still manage to fire his depleted uranium shells into the poor little ripper cowering behind the monstrous (ahem, dreadnought-sized) Carnifex.

Seems a bit comic, doesn't it. ok, you might say, but when they both moved to that location, the clever marine saw the little ripper for an instance between the Carnifex's legs, and doped up as the marine is, his narcotics-enhanced reflexes fired off a few shots at it before the marine even knew!

ok, but how about 32 hormagaunts, with 12 genestealers right on their tail. I mean, the codex states they move blindingly fast, armour plates rasping, claws glistening and all that. now, how do you tell them apart in the midst of a raging battle. And how can you even get to see the crouching genestealers behind the gaunts, which perhaps are 4-5 models deep, with genestealers behind them...

seems a bit comic, right?

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
Digimon: page 8 in Codex: Tyranids, at the very top left part, it reads:

A creature with two or more ranged bio-weapons may only choose to fire one of them per shooting phase
there"

end of discussion :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use guns on my carnifexes because I usually play my nids as a seeding swarm and the 'fex is only expected to live one turn (the one he arrives in)...his job is to kill a tank (easy with a devourer), absorb all of my opponent's fire for a round, and probably die. It works, and keeps my genestealers from getting shot up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A bit off topic but who cares.....i think the "Shoot the Big Ones" rule is indeed crazy. How can a space marine (or any other unit for that matter) shoot OVER 32 gaunts in order to hig 12 Genestealers?? ITs INSANE!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed! Shoot the big ones should require that the "ones" being shot should actually be BIG!! In second edition, that's how the rule worked, and I have no clue why they changed it. I'm even ok with being able to "shoot the big ones" at gargoyles, since they would be above the rest of the bugs. The really odd thing is (if I remember correctly) you can even target rippers behind other stuff! I think you should at least have to be able to trace a line of fire through the bases of the models you want to shoot past if you are trying to pick out regular sized (25mm based) 'nids.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by Razorfex@Apr 9 2003, 05:24
A bit off topic but who cares.....i think the "Shoot the Big Ones" rule is indeed crazy. How can a space marine (or any other unit for that matter) shoot OVER 32 gaunts in order to hig 12 Genestealers?? ITs INSANE!!!
:rolleyes: Lol... Well

Can u imagine what a basilisk does? It shoots up in the air and just hopes the bullet hits something... ;) same goes with nids' enemies.. apart from that they hit their target... For instance a SM soldier, he points his gun up in the air, fires and watches his bullet hit a genestealer in his brain... SPLAT!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh come on you cant be serious. Bolters arent ordnance or artillery. they dont lauch they are fired in a straight line. The thought of seeing a squad of maines shooting at the sky hoping their bullets land on genestealer heads is comical, if not insane.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.