Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright I've uploaded some images of my Ultramarines army (or rather, the beginnings of it).

Tactical Squad
http://www.librarium-online.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2365&c=29
This is my 10-man tactical squad. The sergeant still needs a banner, and the troops need some text scribbled on them. The Rhino needs quite a bit of work. I'm going to do more detailing, some drybrushing, update the look of the marine crewman (painted the tank maybe 1 and a half years ago), some scribbled text, fix up the scroll, etc.

Dreadnought
http://www.librarium-online.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2363&c=29
WIP dreadnought. I still have some drybrushing (lighter blue color) to do, codex text, accessories (smoke launchers, purity seals), the base, 1 more arm, etc.

http://www.librarium-online.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2364&c=29
Same dreadnought, but the picture was taken with flash. I guess you can see some of the details better.

Any advice to improve my painting? Nothing too fancy, I'm trying to finish them as quickly as possible while still maintaining a decent level of quality.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I shod go with highlights instead of drybrushing the blue on the tank and the dread. If you want to do it fast then just do the extreme highlights on the edges (blue + white). Also it shod look better with some shades, really water down dark blue shod do it or a dark blue wash. I just use blue + black.

The gold looks good and so dose the wings in the middle.

The marines need some shade as well. If you paint the shade do it careful and don’t use to match paint on the brush. Try to get it on the low places only, and have it thinned.

Over all your blue is flat, but its like you say its not really finished, on some of the models. I like the silver on the dreads "hand" don’t know what its called. The gun of the dread needs to be a little darker in the front.

They look clean but the need more work to look really good, nice going so far.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'll consider adding more shading. I'm going to enter this to a forum squad painting contest, so naturally I'm gonna have to fix it up in the next 2 or so days.

I want to drybrush the dreadnought and Rhino because I guess drybrushing is more appropriate for vehicles. It gives some highlighting, and weathering at the same time. I've tried line highlighting, but it looked really weird, so I got rid of it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice stuff!
As you said, just finish of everything, and I think they will be perfect.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
gundamfan said:
I want to drybrush the dreadnought and Rhino because I guess drybrushing is more appropriate for vehicles. It gives some highlighting, and weathering at the same time. I've tried line highlighting, but it looked really weird, so I got rid of it.
Ok I’m no expert on painting vehicles, so you might be right. The only vehicles I have painted is a Vyper and half a wave serpent. It is just that I’m no fan of drybrush.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
I think you have a great start here. Some things I would look at when you proceed. On the tactical squad - make sure you re-paint the rhino driver with gold trim to match the rest. Otherwise they look great for the table top for sure. Pictures are a tad too dark and they are a bit small for any further critical analaysis. You should be proud of them though!

The dreadnought looks a bit flat right now but otherwise very clean. You have a great start with the lens - I think it really looks good. Instead of drybrushing maybe you could try this technique:

Take your slighly lighter paint and get it real thin (to the point that it is fairly transparent and paint from where you think the darker areas should end --- going up to the lighter ends.

Mix and even lighter paint and repeat the same process going up from where you want a color trasition to the top.

Keep repeated this process until you get to the top where it should be the lightest. This will build up a nice smooth color transition and shouldn't look irregular like drybrushing tends to do. If the paint is too watery on the brush dab a little off with a paper tower and brush on the rest. I would recommend a good large tank sized brush.

Otherwise good luck!

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
571 Posts
gundamfan said:
Any advice to improve my painting? Nothing too fancy, I'm trying to finish them as quickly as possible while still maintaining a decent level of quality.
I think your vehicles (and your marines) would benefit from a bit of shading.

I found that on marines and the vehicles you have to go for a bit of an extreme shade to make it work. So I would suggest using black lining to do this.

Basically you draw a slim balck line (with a black ink) in all the little nooks and crannies of the armor. If that is too dark you can try and mix the black ink with a blue ink. Basically the same thing you did between the gold trim of the shoulder plates and the blue of the actual armor.

But then again - I like my miniatures to look a bit darker.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm definetly going for some shading. I'm also repainting the tank driver guy for sure. He's painted pretty poorly and looking at him disgusts me, so I'm redoing him.

I'm not sure about layering, it takes a ton of time. I have to finish up the Rhino and the squad by Tuesday for an online painting contest. Of course layering would make the Rhino look much better and help me win.

The pictures are actually quite large, just click on them in the gallery. It's just that they're kinda blurry.

Sorry about the dark photos. I paint during the day, and once I have time to take pics, it's already night time. I don't have any good lamps or anything, so that's probably why it's so dark. I of course don't wanna use flash, because that distorts the color.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Very Clean, Nice, And Ready models you have there.

As said just a little flat, and can't really comment much about it, as I'm no better.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow your dread is looking quite good.
One hint of advice (ever since I heard this I've been painting extremely well), "Make it stand out from others." Take it anyway way you want, but just think about it...

HPA

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
gundamfan said:
Are there other ways to "alleviate" the flatness other than shading/highlighting?
Well if you use gloss vanish on black it can help a bit, but it really depends on the other colors you using, and I think this only works on black. One color can lift the other color, but there is no good alternative for shade or highlighting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sorry it's good but I hbate it when people just don't make there own army there own you've just followed the basic colours of ultra marines and painted it not even accesories.

·
Registered
925 Posts
And i hate it when a 13 year old complains about something he knows nothing about.
I dare say, that Gundamfan WANTS to do an ultramarine army.
So before you compare him to people like yourself, Think a little.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will have accessories. This time I'm painting the main model first and all of the accessories separately, to see if that works or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts