Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok does 'my will be done' work while the prince/king is in combat? If not then i say smiting is utterly useless then. Also, my friend quickly looked up to see if i could use banner of undying legion in combat and he said no. So if thats true you think its worth it to take it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can use My will be done in combat. You can even use the king's version on a unit 6 inchs away and not in combat if you really want to (Flank charge anyone?)

And yes, the banner CAN be used in CC. It simply casts the spell every turn, if he tries to pull that on you again, simply say his that there warbanner (or the like) doens't work in CC either...

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
All spells can be cast whilst in combat, except spells which require Line of Sight (it will say this in the spells description), and some others which specifically state they cannot.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
All spells can be cast whilst in combat, except spells which require Line of Sight (it will say this in the spells description), and some others which specifically state they cannot.
Well, kinda. Basicly, you can cast whilst in combat (doesn't say you can't...), but you cant target OTHER units IN combat unless it specificly says you can, or the caster targets himself. So for example, Fireball cant be cast into combat as is doesn't say it can, while Crown of Taideron can, as it states 'even if engaged close combat'. Besides, smiting says in the spell itself that you can use it in combat anyway, by stating 'if cast on a unit in close combat...' as does the Incantation of Summoning, 'even if engaged in combat...'

This on page 107, BRB

As for the line of sight rule, you're correct, but only as far as magic missiles. If in combat you can't use magic missiles, but if another spell that needed line of sight and wasn't a MM, like Forked Lightning, it can be used in some situations, like if fighting a swarm then the wizard can see past them, or he could target a Large Target if fighting man sized models, as it can be seen.

Page 110, and what ever other pages about Line of Sight.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Regards, Tim

·
7,143 Posts
Correct on your 1st point Tim, but whilst in Close Combat, no model from any engaged unit has a Line of Sight to anything. They are esentially only concentrating on the fight, and nothing else. (makes sense really)

And yes, this includes even fighting against swarms and other small things.

A Mage on Dragon cant afford to take his eyes off the Swarm to cast fireball at an approaching Giant :p

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Correct on your 1st point Tim, but whilst in Close Combat, no model from any engaged unit has a Line of Sight to anything. They are esentially only concentrating on the fight, and nothing else. (makes sense really)

And yes, this includes even fighting against swarms and other small things.

A Mage on Dragon cant afford to take his eyes off the Swarm to cast fireball at an approaching Giant :p
This is true for shooting, and therefore magic missiles, as given on page 26, but the rules for line of sight on page 8 dont say anything about close combat blocking line of sight. Only scenery and models do. So im saying a spell, like Forked Lightning, that is NOT a magic missile, but still needs line of sight, can be cast out of combat at a Large Target.

Either that, or I just can't find the right page....

Regards, Tim

·
7,143 Posts
Unfortunately i dont have the book with me, but i know its there somewhere. It wont say CC blocks LoS, instead look for it saying that no model in Combat has LoS, or something along those lines. Look in the combat section.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
couldn't fins anything in the combat section - It only tell you how to fight.

On page 26, it says 'Units in hand to hand fghting are far too busy to use missile weapons, and therefore may not shoot'

On page 110, under 'Mgaic missiles': 'Unless otherwise noted, a Wizard cannot cast these spells if he, or the unit he is with, is engaged in closew combat.'

Are any of these the lines you're talking about? if they are, then they only apply to magic missiles.

I mean, are you guys says that a Lord on a Dragon (eg Tzeentch Lord) cant cast spells because he has no LoS over the goblins he's fighting? I'm confident he can see past 'em, as he's a Large Target.

I might throw this one into the rules section....

Regards, Tim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright so theyre isnt any specific rules stating that u cant cast during CC, unless its magic missiles. Well cool, time to pwn and piss off people and go through more rule reading.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
I mean, are you guys says that a Lord on a Dragon (eg Tzeentch Lord) cant cast spells because he has no LoS over the goblins he's fighting? I'm confident he can see past 'em, as he's a Large Target.
Even though he may be able to see past them, he's probably far too busy fighting them in a swirling melee to concentrate on anything else.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Even though he may be able to see past them, he's probably far too busy fighting them in a swirling melee to concentrate on anything else.
This inst supported by the rules, and I certainly dont take the whole 'real life' approach to rules. They are as written. If he can see his target, following the rules for line of sight on page 8, then he can cast forked lightning on it.

There's nothing that prevents line of sight JUST from being in combat.

Again, if someone can PROVE me wrong I'm cool with that...

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
This inst supported by the rules, and I certainly dont take the whole 'real life' approach to rules. They are as written. If he can see his target, following the rules for line of sight on page 8, then he can cast forked lightning on it.

There's nothing that prevents line of sight JUST from being in combat.

Again, if someone can PROVE me wrong I'm cool with that...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.