Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Star Cobras

Votes: 2 16.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, its pretty much what the title says it is. My last thread turned into a general conversation about the chapter and away from the naming aspect, so I'm reposting with a poll for names.

For your information:

Important Facts-
Homeworld: Fleet Based
Colors: Gray and Black
Strategy: Lots of devastators. Very defense minded.

You can find the other thread at: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/40k-army-fluff/181339-need-help-naming-diy-chapter.html

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Unless you are going to actually convert your captain to be wearing 'shades, go with what's behind door number two.

I kid. But if you do choose to call them Shades, unless they're making friends with Casper (in which case your army should be a minimized dev squad with meltas) you should definitely do that conversion. It would be hilarious.

I'm also considering bringing the Silly Armies thread back just for the aforementioned "Ghostbusters Marines".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was on the Bolter and Chainsword Chapter Name Generator trying to get inspiration and, among other things, I came across the "Battle Bees" and "Gore Hippos"

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Yeah...good times...

Edit: Battle Bees? Aren't they one of the First Founding? *Cough*Dorn*Cough*

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Well, I like the Aegis idea, but the Wraith part not so much, it seems like a contradictory set of names. Why not the Aegis Knights? Aegis is a shield or protection, if they're defense minded think of something else to add to it.

(some suggestions off the top of my head)
Iron Sentinels
Aegis Knights
Steel Lions

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
I'm still advocating Ferrus Nongratus, in case you cared.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Re-reading the OP, I'm not sure what Nerdynick meant by "defensive minded". Holding ground? Firebase? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Star Cobras gote my vote. Good luck in choosing a name, it took me years to get to "Star flyers" and i'm not too sure about that now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By defense minded, I meant that they prefer to sit back and pour fire into the enemy while it advances. Preferably from cover. Going along with this, they have few assault squads and many devastator squads (1 assault squad and 3 devastator squads per company). They would choose to view any assault that they launched more as a siege than an assault. This causes them to have fewer drop pods and more thunderhawks. They also tend to have lots of reinforcement to withstand sieges, as the entire chapter has to stay together (or at least on the same planet) due to their excommunication, in this way they are very good at literal defense. Over a course of a campaign, they would prefer to hold ground, gaining ground when the fighting has stopped or the enemy has given up or is at minimum strength. A good way illustrate how they think of themselves is a rock that the enemy wave breaks upon again and again until the enemy is reduced to insignificant pulp.

This seems to differ greatly from other chapters, as most of the fiction that I've read indicates that the Space Marines are used as elite assault troops or shocktroopers, and tend to think along those lines.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Yes, Space Marines tend to act as breaching a battle line (think WW1), due to their resilience.

However, the Imperial Fists and their successors have grand traditions of siege making and breaking (example; Imperial Palace on Terra and the Siege of Terra), and have a natural propensity to sit back and snipe. Perchance there was some yellow and red in your chapter's past?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually never defined their founding chapter, but it would have been either Imperial Fists or Ultramarines. Also, I have Lysander and Kantor in my list, out of coincidence.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
It's clearly a sign from Abov-- *ahem* GW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.