Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I’ve settled on “an armylist”. Well, it’s 3 lists really, with some distinct variation between all of them. However I’m not sure which is going to be the most competitive – all are options open to me, as only the “core” has been modelled thus far.

Please could you take the time to look over these lists and tell me which you think is the best one of the selections? Some of the lists have small changes that could be made to them, these are noted at the end of each list.

The generic plan for each army is that the two Tactical Squads, the HQ character and whichever Combat unit is involved takes one flank – all are designed to take on a wide range of foe, the Tacticals at range and the Combat unit in close-combat. The Devastators take the centre, projecting an anti-vehicle/monster radius. The “Tactical Squad” left over takes the opposite flank, and is reinforced by the Terminators Deepstriking in.

++

List number 1

HQ

Captain: Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo.

Command Squad – Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, CCW & Narthecium. 1 Veteran: Flamer. 2 Veterans: 2x Pairs of Lightning Claws. 1 Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Thunder Hammer. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter.

Elites

Terminator Squad - Sergeant: Storm Bolter & Power Weapon. 4 Terminators: 3 Storm Bolters & Power Fists & 1 Heavy Flamer & Power Fist.

Troops

Tactical Squad 1 - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Plasma Gun & 1 Missile Launcher. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Tactical Squad 2 - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Plasma Gun & 1 Missile Launcher. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Tactical Squad 3 - Sergeant: Combi-Melta & Power Fist. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Meltagun & 1 Heavy Bolter. Drop Pod: Deathwind Missile Launcher.

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad - Sergeant: Bolter & Signum. 4 Marines: 1 Bolter & 3 Multi-Meltas. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter.

In this list, the 3rd Tactical Squad deploys via Drop Pod on the first turn, enabling them to sieze an objective very early on, and to get the best positioning. The advantage here is numbers, and that the Tactical Squad scores. They have a Deathwind Launcher to maximise firepower against horde-type foes as they may be a little out-matched until the Terminators arrive.

Note: the Command Squad can be replaced by a Vanguard Veteran unit (same equipment, minus the Flamer and the Apothecary) for 10pts less, and I guess I could drop the Deathwind Missile Launcher too, though I know not what I would do with a spare 30pts – perhaps take the Devastators to 4 guns and spread out some Meltabombs? Or give the Razorback Heavy Flamers?

++

List number 2

HQ

Captain Sicarius : Plasma Pistol, Talassarian Tempest Blade, Iron Halo & Mantle of the Suzerian.

Elites

Terminator Squad - Sergeant: Storm Bolter & Power Weapon. 4 Terminators: 3 Storm Bolters & Power Fists & 1 Heavy Flamer & Power Fist.

Troops

Tactical Squad 1 - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Plasma Gun & 1 Missile Launcher. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Tactical Squad 2 - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Plasma Gun & 1 Missile Launcher. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Tactical Squad 3 - Sergeant: Bolter & Power Fist. 9 Marines: 7 Bolters, 1 Meltagun & 1 Heavy Bolter. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Fast Attack

Assault Squad - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Thunder Hammer. 4 Assault Marines: 3x Bolt Pistols & CCWs & 1x Flamer. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad - Sergeant: Bolter, Chainsword & Signum. 4 Marines: 1 Bolter & 3 Multi-Meltas. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter.

Predator: Turret Autocannon & Sponson Heavy Bolters.

Sicarius has replaced my custom-Captain. He is arguably more powerful, thanks to swinging at Initiative with the Power Weapon and being able to Instant-Death quite easily thanks to his blade.

The Command Squad was replaced with the Assault Squad to cheapen things up a bit to allow for the purchase.

The 3rd Tactical Squad now rides in a Rhino, because this unit is supported by the Predator. This means I still have the ability to take Scoring units up to an objective, but it’s better supported by firepower. They also get the benefit of Sicarius’ special rules enabling them to have Counter Charge (and Ld10) to maximise the benefits of the Power Fist and to enable them to fight in CC – quite important if they are isolated for a time before the Terminators arrive.

++

List number 3

HQ

Captain: Plasma Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo.

Elites

Sternguard Veteran Squad (“Tactical Squad 3”) – Sergeant: Combi-Melta & Lightning Claw. 4 Veterans: 3x Bolters, 1x Heavy Flamer. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter.

Troops

Fast Attack

Assault Squad - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Thunder Hammer. 4 Assault Marines: 3x Bolt Pistols & CCWs & 1x Flamer. Rhino: Storm Bolter.

Land Speeder Squadron – 2x Land Speeders: Heavy Bolter & Assault Cannon.

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad - Sergeant: Bolter, Chainsword & Signum. 4 Marines: 1 Bolter & 3 Multi-Meltas. Razorback: Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter.

Here the Tactical Squad has been replaced with the Sternguard. Although they now no longer score, and it is a much smaller unit, they are quite potent thanks to their Special Rounds and the extra firepower from the Razorback.

This unit is supplemented by the pair of Land Speeders, which should mean I have a nice and mobile, heavy-firepower section advancing up that flank too, that can rapidly re-position itself to meet enemy movement.

NB: Still playing around with the Sternguard equipment. I may replace the Heavy Flamer with two more Combi-Meltas to maximise the “special rounds” and to give the unit an edge against vehicles.

++++

So, there we have it – three lists all based around a similar core of units, but all with different advantages and drawbacks.

Which do you think is going to be the one with the most edge, taking the flexible changes I have mentioned (where relevant) into consideration?

Many thanks for your time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I played without Vulkan for ~9 years so I don't see why it's such a surprise.

I just really value Combat Tactics and don't like his character's equipment.

The 'net seems split between the 2nd and 3rd lists - so I shall disregard the first now.

I've been playing around with some equipment options, and by (list 2 - drop Flamer in Assault Marines and re-set Tac3 to Power Weapon, Flamer, Heavy Bolter) (List 3 - drop Flamer in Assault Marines and remove Sternguard Lightning Claw) to give me enough points to replace the Heavy Flamer with an Assault Cannon in the Terminator squad.

Next up, I had an idea. I could replace the 3rd Tactical Squad/Sternguard Squad in each list with the following:

Tactical Squad 3 - Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Power Weapon. 4 Marines: Bolters. Razorback: Lascannon & Twin-Linked Plasma Gun.

This makes no change to the points-cost in List 3, just adjusts the Sternguard to a Scoring Unit; but in List 2 it gives me an additional 40pts to play around with.

With these I could either add a 6th Assault Marine to the unit (carrying a Flamer) and use the last 12pts to make the Devastators 2x Missile/1x Plas; or I could forgo the Flamer to make them 2x Plas/1x Missile or 2x Missile 1x Lascannon; or forgo the Marine himself to take 2x Lascannon/1x Missile (or Melta).

I would move the existing Multi-Meltas into Tactical 1&2, where they should be more useful as they'll be up-the-field earlier on, and I would gain a far superior covering unit in the form of the Devastators.

Do you think playing around with that could be a good idea?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts