Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums here and I am also new to Necrons. In fact I haven't purchased any yet :p But! I have come up with a list of Necrons that I think is ok :|
Now I want an army of about 3000 points, maybe 100 points more or less. So here it is:

1 Nightbringer

1 Necron Lord w/ Warscythe, Res. Orb, Gaze of Flame

1 Necron Destroyer Lord w/ Warscythe, Lightning Field

6 Immortals

40 Necrons (2 groups of 20?)

6 Destroyers

6 Wraiths

10 Scarabs

3 Tomb Spyders

3 Monoliths

So there you go, the list of a total noob to 40k.

IF ANYTHING, WHAT SHOULD I CHANGE?? Opinions are much appreciated :)

Oh yeah, I'm mostly going up against a pure Grey Knight army and an Ork army, in case you wanted to know :)

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Heya EqualsLife, welcome to LO! And also welcome to the Necron Tomb.

Is this going to be 3K Apocalypse or just run of the mill 3k?

I would start with more...babysteps towards getting your army together and on the field. Start at 1k and build your army up from there (or maybe 1.5k). Just jumping to 3K may be a little heavy duty for a new player.

Following the "1 squad of warriors/ 500 points" formula, you should have 6 squads of 10 warriors. This is to bolster your phase out and generally make your phalanx stronger.

I'll post more later but I gotta run for now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Alzer :D

This is just a run of the mill 3000 point army :)

I know that 3000 is quite a lot for a newbie, but this is what i plan to work up to in time.

Are you saying i should move up to 60 warriors then? and what should i get rid of then? I'm just heading out to Games Workshop now so maybe i can sneak a read of the Codex while everyone is paying attention to the Tanksgiving tourney :sinister:

i look forward to your next post :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
NO, don't drop the tomb spyders! They're quite nice :p

If you're wantig to just buy the 3000 point army, not apocalypse, I'd suggest rethinking on the Hq, fast attack and heavy support choices. Usually you can only have two HQs, so drop goes one lord or the Nightbringer. Then you can only field three units of Fast attack; Destroyers, Wraiths and Scarabs have to be reconsidered. As the necron codex is built for throwing out the same unit in at least two squads(, read on the "necron" rules in the codex,) you should choose between expanding either on the destroyers or the wraiths. Most people seems to go for the destroyers.

And the same goes for the heavy support; Heavy Destroyers, Monoliths and Tomb spyders. Luckily 3 tomb spyders counts as one heavy support choice so you could go winning out by dropping a Monolith. Or just drop all tomb spyders :(
(The same thing goes for Elites, like flayed ones, pharias and immortals.)

When we have gone trough that filter(, I'm supposing that you don't have plans especially for planetstrike or something like that either,) you could consider what to add. More warriors has been said. Immortals are great, but I usually don't like the sight of one lonely squad of them in a necron army. And it's quite a big point scale. If I felt that I could afford or convert them and if i ever played 3000 pts, I wouldn't be afraid of loading up with 24 more of them.

Then your force organisation slots should be filled up unless you throw in more warriors.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
BUY the codex! Don't just look at it, you need that to play!

*Grabs Cleaver*

Allright. So you're running a normal game. There are some good things for you then.

Good thing one: your opponents can't throw titans at you.

Good thing two: your opponents can't throw superheavies at you.

There are also some bad things however.

Bad thing one: Force Organization Chart. This means you can only have so many of each unit type (heavy support, troops, HQ, etc.) And it's going to REALLY cut down on your units.

Bad thing two: you can't use formations. The Necron Apocalypse formations are very powerful, and cool, and I want them in normal games.... :sad:

This means. You either have to drop the Tomb spyders, or one of your monoliths. I'd honestly say drop a monolith, the Spyders will be important to have for combat duties. And really two monoliths is gonna keep Grey Knights and Orks busy for a loooooooooooonnngggg time.

You're going to need to drop an HQ choice as well. Two lords would save you points for other options. C'tan are kinda fire magnets and at 3k the opponent will have enough fire to dust them in a turn or two.

More elites! I'd strongly suggest grabbing a pile more Immortals (Expensive, I know, there is a warrior-immortal conversion guide that can save you loads of $$ on these suckers). Immortals are the Necrons' toughest infantry and provide our real close-range punch.

In fast attack. I would suggest bumping up to having 8-10 destroyers, really crank up their effectiveness in such a large game. Also drop the Wraiths, grab the scarabs as a harassment unit. 3 wraiths are VERY fragile, and tend to be a bit more advanced in use. Think of them as assassins, not soldiers. If you want wraiths you would need to have 9 of them, and would really be losing the firepower your destroyers provide.

As for tactical approach this level could really lend itself to a double-phalanx. Have three squads of warriors, a lord, Immortals, a monolith, a spyder and a squad of destroyers form up together. Then take the other group of all the same units send them the other way. If one side is facing more assault troops, send the scarabs and other tomb spyder that way.

*Takes Deep Breath*

so an example list of something like this would be.

HQ: Lord with orb, gaze of flame

HQ: Lord with orb, Solar Pulse

Elt: 2x8 Immortals

Trps: 6x10 Warriors

FA: 2x4 Destroyers

FA: x10 Scarabs

HS: x3 Tomb Spyders

HS: x2 Monolith

2993 points.

If your store has a "Necron warrior phalanx" get it. And stab the bejesus out of anyone who may impede you from getting it! :silly: In fact if your store has two of them, get them. You'll pretty much have everything you need except 2 destroyers and 3 tomb spyders.

·
Registered
688 Posts
BUY the codex! Don't just look at it, you need that to play!
You should not only read it before games, you shall eat together with it, have it as a companion on your way to and from work/school, sleep with it and read in it whenever you get the time for doing so. At least for a couple of months.

Then you should be able to remember every unit, their statlines, their wargear, their special rules and most importantly their points cost.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Then you can be like me! :sinister:
Seeing as there are two of us, is this web really big enough for both of us? :terror:

Alzers list looks great. Remember not to deep strike the scarabs but turbo-boost them into position. It gives them over the top survivability (2+ cover save) for a turn as long as you watch out for flamers and other cover-negating stuff.

If you don't know what i'm talking about, you need a rule book as well. Borrowing one works as you don't really have to go trough the same procedure with that one, just read it before going to sleep a couple of nights. Make sure it's 5th edition.

At last, before you buy all this stuff, remember that many(, utterly strange,) people find that painting an necron army is boring. Buy a set of necron warriors and paint them before you get the rest. If you find painting them boring, go for something else instead of making a bad decision.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, I know that you intend to get this dream 3K army but I would strongly advise you getting them in 500pt blocks.

Firstly, you need a core so for the first 500pts, purchase a lord and a necron battleforce (or phalanx formation). It will exceed 500pts but it will give you some variety and save you $$. Just make sure you have a lord and at least 2x10 warriors.

visseking raises a crucial point, if you find it boring painting necrons, then I would strongly recommend that you test it out or try another army. It is NOT fun painting 3K worth if you don't enjoy it. Remember, fun is more than half of the experience in wargaming.

Alzer's and visseking's advices is enough to get to you underway so I won't offer any. But I STRONGLY recommend that you assemble and paint your army in 500pt blocks. This will make the job of assembling and painting a lot more manageable and far less intimidating. Also, try to assemble and paint similar units whenever possible so you can get a assembly line thing happening and you will know exactly what colours you used where.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Let me put it this way you MUST atleast have 1 c'tan and monolith in the same list if you want Necrons to be competitive.

·
Registered
688 Posts
That's something new?

Please explain!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
whoa o.o thank you all for your responses :D

yeah even though i dont know much about 40k, i know that tomb spyders are good just from reading other posts :)

thanks alzer for the list ;P no warscythes for the lords? whatever you say :p and 2 monoliths should keep em busy eh? thats good XD a friend of mine keeps bragging on how amazing his grey knights are and ive gotten a bit worried :p and i would stab the bejesus out of someone anyways at my gw, theyre all really mean :\

and visseking, the store copy of the codex looks kindve.. 'used', so is it alright if we just adopt? i dont think shes ready for a huge commitment

i found a pretty awesome paint scheme on the wonderous interwebs that makes the crons look 'oily', which is kindve cool :) i'll put up a link below:

DakkaDakka - Warhammer 40K Forums - Oily Necron Paint Scheme

i was wondering, is it easier to paint figures before assembling them, so you can reach hard to reach areas before the figure is glued together? ( i dont know if that sentence made sence and i dont care :D )

and Prince Chimera, could you explain why i should have a C'tan, coz i agree with Alzer when he said that with 3Ks worth of units, the C'tan would be a pretty easy target, especially coz i know the Grey Knight player has included snipers >>

well im looking forward to more responses guys :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
no warscythes for the lords? whatever you say :p
Well, walking lords usually are a bit more defensive and those marine-toasting shots are often quite useful as the ability ignore Inv. Saves isn't used that often when he should really stay back with the warriors and immortals.

I usually put the warschyte at my destroyer lord though. He can choose what unit to charge himself and thus easily makes defensive terminators scared. He's usually accompanied by wraiths.

a friend of mine keeps bragging on how amazing his grey knights are
(Pessimistic me kicking in) Just as with the necrons, in general they look good on paper but are a bit overpriced.

(Optimistic me kicking in) So you should be able to kick them around.

i was wondering, is it easier to paint figures before assembling them, so you can reach hard to reach areas before the figure is glued together? ( i dont know if that sentence made sence and i dont care :D )
I guess that's up to your personal preferences. I always paint mine after assembling, but nothing should stop you from trying the other way around yourself. Learning by doing...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Since you don't know a lot about Warhammer 40K, I would be a little less ambitious about the enormous necron army that you have in mind.

Instead, start with a modest 1,000 to 1500pt army. Get used to the rules (both rulebook and codex) and play many games. Over time, you will gain experience and discover what works for you and what doesn't work for you. It is crucial to understand the mechanics of the necron warmachine before creating any army lists, particularly now that it has become more difficult to attain victory since the introduction of 5th edition rules.

Trust me, especially against GK, you will need a lot of games under your belt and lots of experience to be able to play 3K battles with necrons. And to get that far, you need to be able to have fun in the process in order to persist with the necrons.

Enough said.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Then you can be like me! :sinister:
And me!
I've read the damn thing so many times I've almost memorized the background stories. :soldier:
But as for what you want, simply buy your self two phalanxes a c'tan and 3 tomb spyders. You will have pretty much everything you will need short of apoc from that lot.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've read the damn thing so many times I've almost memorized the background stories.
ALMOST? Shame_on_u!

But i think that i'll have to neutralize you either way...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yes "almost", you actually need 3 more destroyers and lots of IMMORTALS. To have everything you will ever need short of apocalypse. For apocalypse just get yourself 3 more liths for the lith phalanx formation and as many warriors as possible. (I use 2 monolith phalanxes, 4 res-lords, both c'tan, 40 Immortals and the rest is spent on warriors. It basically gives you a riduculously tough army with gauss dealing with anything. Warriors can kill titans (i've seen it!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts