Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if I was missing something here...

In the Necron Codex under the Monolith section,it describes special rules for deep striking that say the monolith doesn't get destroyed if it lands within 1" of enemies...

Now in the old edition that was fine and made perfect sense... but in the new edition rulebook... you have the deepstrike mishap table, whihch means that the unit deepstriking would only be destroyed on a roll of 5 or 6....

So my first question is this... Lets say, a monolith drops ontop of an enemy squad after scatter... does this mean that the necron player should then roll a dice as usual... and use the regular mishap table unless he gets a 5 or 6, in which case the monolith pushes the squad out of the way?

Also... I can't remember well enough... but if a lith lands on impassible terrain what happens? Lets say it does and you use the mishap table and get a 5 or 6... surely the lith doesnt push the impassible terrain out of the way? Does the monolith instead move back the required distance or does it just die?

Thanks,
Smurph

·
Registered
49 Posts
So my first question is this... Lets say, a monolith drops ontop of an enemy squad after scatter... does this mean that the necron player should then roll a dice as usual... and use the regular mishap table unless he gets a 5 or 6, in which case the monolith pushes the squad out of the way?

Smurph
The necron codex explains that a monolith is big ennough not to be destroyed. Simply move your opponents warriors aside. Better ask your opponent to do that not to let him think you are bias. I think you ought not to rol no dice. This is cuz the special rule specifies what to do in this case.

Also... I can't remember well enough... but if a lith lands on impassible terrain what happens? Lets say it does and you use the mishap table and get a 5 or 6... surely the lith doesnt push the impassible terrain out of the way? Does the monolith instead move back the required distance or does it just die?
Smurph
If it lands in impassible terrain then u are not going to be happy: your vehicle is destroyed.
There is annother situation: when you land over difficult terrain. There you will have to rol a dice to see what happens as when any other skimmer lands over impassable terrain.

hope this answer is useful

·
Registered
551 Posts
Yeah he's right. Don't forget, the codex rules 'override' the main rules. The monolith is bigger and badder than ever in 5th.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Yeah he's right. Don't forget, the codex rules 'override' the main rules. The monolith is bigger and badder than ever in 5th.
But the Necrons are still outdated as a whole, with gauss weapons toned down and phase out more imminent than ever - a monolith just makes the problem worse.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LONG time lurker, first time poster.

So I'm a newbie to necrons but not to Warhammer. I have been playing since the begining of third edition. (thats how long I have been with LO)

First off, let me say that this is by far the best edition of the rules yet.

I have the necron codex and have read it cover to cover about 5 times now. I have also read over the rules for 5th edition. I cant figure out why everyone on this forum has been saying that necrons are not really good in the new rules...

The only positive things i have heard are about tomb spyders and the monolith being slightly boosted, which i cant figure out the difference between eithers effectivness from 4th to 5th edition .

Question: I heard someone mention something about a TS, after making a scarab swarm, if it is shot at will essentially be able to take extra wounds. majority toughness is still T3 and very easily wounded.

·
Registered
98 Posts
majority toughness now rounds up, thats how super scarabs work.

and the lith is harder to kill now as you cant do it with a strength 8 or less. only strength 9 or 10 can kill it now, great for VS new players who dont have any thing powerfull yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
@Sal4m4nd3r

You're hearing how Necrons got nerfed more than boosted because a) people are more inclined to bitch at nerfing than celebrate boosting of units' effectiveness b) Necrons have gotten screwed in a few ways to be honest. The TS and 'Lith got the good end of the bargain, Gauss weapons and low-initiative troops got the bad end, yadda yadda yadda...

Necrons are still a blast to play IMHO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if I was missing something here...

In the Necron Codex under the Monolith section,it describes special rules for deep striking that say the monolith doesn't get destroyed if it lands within 1" of enemies...

Now in the old edition that was fine and made perfect sense... but in the new edition rulebook... you have the deepstrike mishap table, whihch means that the unit deepstriking would only be destroyed on a roll of 5 or 6....

Thanks,
Smurph
If it scatters into an enemy squad, it'll be placed there anyway, with the squad being pushed back.

If it scatters into impassable terrain or off the table, roll on the deepstrike mishap table.

·
Registered
109 Posts
@Sal4m4nd3r

You're hearing how Necrons got nerfed more than boosted because a) people are more inclined to bitch at nerfing than celebrate boosting of units' effectiveness b) Necrons have gotten screwed in a few ways to be honest. The TS and 'Lith got the good end of the bargain, Gauss weapons and low-initiative troops got the bad end, yadda yadda yadda...

Necrons are still a blast to play IMHO.
I didnt play much of fourth edition, but wasnt the sweeping advance pretty much the same in fifth? I do agree most people would like to bitch unless they have every advantage over every army. IMO having a weakness in your army gives it character and adds more fun when your playing.

gauss weapons just cant destroy a vehicle.. big whoop. immobize, destroy a weapon is just as effective.

one more question. how has the lith been boosted?

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
I didnt play much of fourth edition, but wasnt the sweeping advance pretty much the same in fifth? I do agree most people would like to bitch unless they have every advantage over every army. IMO having a weakness in your army gives it character and adds more fun when your playing.

gauss weapons just cant destroy a vehicle.. big whoop. immobize, destroy a weapon is just as effective.

one more question. how has the lith been boosted?
Sweeping is incredible different

in 4th it was based on unit size and then it was based on how far the fleeing and capturing unit ran

in 5th now its based on the wounds you take and then its d6+I

so now in 5th, if a unit takes more wounds in an assualt then the other side (even if its just 1) they take a Morale test at their Ld minus the difference in wounds taken, if failed you make a sweeping advance test, both sides roll a D6 and add their I, if the wining side ties or beats the losing side in this roll the whole unit gets sweep

so 1 wound can now cause a sweeping advance, and since necrons already have low I to begin with they're very easily sweeped

the guass rule is big thing too, because it was one of the good things about crons, everything could destroy a vehicle, it made every unit effective and valuable, now that thats gone we have to take actual anti tank if we want to combat tanks, basically almost every unit got worse because they can't kill tanks anymore

the monolith got stronger for the same reason guass got worse

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, 4th Ed. sweeping advances were much different... and losing an entire squad because of losing the assault (not hard to do, since 1 attack per warrior is less than overwhelming) and rolling badly is very painful to watch. BUT, this makes Flayed Ones very useful now, because they'll keep going until they're dead. Scarabs also got a bit more useful...

Though theoretically now Gauss weapons aren't totally incapable of destroying a vehicle... you just have to get enough weapon destroyed and immobilized results. Or hope it's open-topped, lol. And even just getting a crew shaken can be handy against things like the Imperial Guard tanks with their large blasts. So gauss still can be one of the best things going for the Necrons. A S4 weapon that can immobilize a Land Raider is something to be happy your basic infantry get. ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Umm, Flayed Ones will not keep going until they're dead. Flayed Ones are not Fearless unlike Scarabs, Pariahs, C'Tan and Tomb Spyders. When the Flayed Ones lose combat they'll be just as likely to run away as Warriors, except they'll be better at escaping the sweeping advance due their better initiative.

I do agree that gauss is still awesome though, also that it probably does deserve the nerf as being able to blow up tanks with the most basic weapons was a bit much, especially in an army which already has a bunch of anti-armour options.

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
Necron anti armour:

Destroyers: really expensive and to easy to kill the whole unit and therefor remove the ability to use WBB role
Heavy Destroyers: even more expensive only 1 shot and same as above big chance that WBB is negated.

Immortals: might work if you can VoD them at the back of a low armour vehicle

TS: Cheap but to slow to catch even a Immobilized tank allthough new fleet rules might help a bit here.

Wraiths: pretty good at rear armour and high mobilty but still lack strenght to get real tanks down and CC tankhunting is hard.

Lord with Warsyth: pretty expensive and he is weak alone and still has hard time killing the tank due to CC vs. Armour

So all in all you have a lot of options but non are even closely effective enough to take away the Gauss rule.

My hopes for the necrons is that the guass rule stay in effec but adds a +1 to the damage chart so a 6 could still pop a tank. this was the big strenght of the Necrons and we Pay the Points for it so compleetly removing it is an weird thing to do and it needs fixing asap

Cheers Jayz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts