Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm in a Science Fiction Lit class right now and have to write a paper. So I was thinking of writting a sort of Necron fanfic from the POV of a Necrontyr who becomes a Flayed One. Going through the whole process of getting imortality hawked at it by the Deceiver and the psychological impacts of being turned into a machine and wanting to be flesh and blood once again.

Any suggestions for things to include?

(I know this should probly go in fluff but I figured I'd throw it in the Necron forum 'cause it's equally relevant)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cool!!!

Wow you certainly like a challenge don't you.

First of all good luck.

Second, i don't mean to be picky but i thought Necrons had they're emotions killed as they become pretty much drones. The closest i would say to human would be a pariah but that is of course only after the process is finished.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Im not definite on any fluff, but even if what you come up with isnt accurate to GW, does it matter too much? could still be some cool writing.
Also, give it a few years. No doubt the Cron dex will change totally with the arrival of the new dex lol. Then whatever you come up with may actually be ''true''.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alright I'm in a Science Fiction Lit class right now and have to write a paper. So I was thinking of writting a sort of Necron fanfic from the POV of a Necrontyr who becomes a Flayed One. Going through the whole process of getting imortality hawked at it by the Deceiver and the psychological impacts of being turned into a machine and wanting to be flesh and blood once again.

Any suggestions for things to include?

(I know this should probly go in fluff but I figured I'd throw it in the Necron forum 'cause it's equally relevant)
I think for this to work at all, you HAVE to assume some level of emotion. Why would a flayed one wear skins if not for some remnant notion of life? You'd have to have a severe break in the level of emotion, however, perhaps a kind of Gollum figure where the formerly living FO retains a vestige of its old personality. Imagine being trapped in a metal body that largely ignores and subsumes your old desires? It's kind of like the story where a being gains immortality, but forgets to ask to stop aging. We're talking millenia of solitary confinement, in a way. I think it would be very effective to write two very different characters, the Necrontyr and the Flayed One, but retain a sense of tragedy with that remnant of Necrontyr personality. Of course, that begs the question, what was the Necrontyr personality in the first place? Terror of death, certainly, and envy of the longer lives of other races, an obsession with technology or technological beauty, a desire for power. And then as a Necron, the desire to eliminate the torment of seeing, but not participating in life by destroying all life. Maybe a kind of hatred of the living mingled with a twisted sort of fascination or even love? Just some ideas...

I'm almost ashamed to mention it, but I'm starting to think of Robo Cop, here. I don't want to do that, so I'll stop. Good luck to you: it sounds interesting.

Weaf

·
555 Posts
Well flayed ones are the...weirdos of necron culture (if you can call it that).

They're the cursed ones who still remember emotion, weakness, and what they once were.

Xenology plays this up rather well.

What has to be remembered is that in the grand scheme of things, all necrons are not equal.

1.) Lords: Were likely priesthood and or kings/leaders. They are fully aware and conscious, but their wills, like those of all necrons are totally subsumed to the star gods.

2.) Immortals: These were the first to undergo the process. Thats why they're higher quality and bigger.

3.) Normal necrons: Its imporant to realize that while the necrons were sold a bill of goods by the ctan, its esteemably possible that not all necrons wanted what they ended up with.

The flayed ones seem to be necrons who miss their flesh, miss being persons with emotions and wills. They have strange, sick and sadistic fascinations, which is why they tend to be used as scouts and infiltrators.

Here's a key thought though...

Necrons aren't mindless machines. They're soulless machines. Each one of them, has a burning, star-bright intellect. Its /all/ they have.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Actually, your thread looks more like it's in line with our Fiction Forum. I'm leaving a marker in the Necron Forum so that you can continue to get hits from there. :)

*punted to the Fiction Forum*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not really sure If this helps but if you check out 40konline there's a pretty good piece called Hollow that's actually pretty similar to what you're trying to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts