Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard only nasty things about Dark Eldar against Necrons. Their incredible resistance to our puny firepower (barring heavy weapons) and ability to teleport around seems to really put a damper on our day.

So, any ideas on how to knock out these metal beasts? Plus I'm fighting a Necron player later today :p

I figure things that a Necron will not like:

-Since their general range is so short, we can hold back and pounce on em when they move up to get into firing range.

-The Lord and his unit will envitable be a VoD and Res. Orb unit, so the single agoniser won't really do much. Rather, I think this is where the Lord and Incubi kick in.

-Continuing with that second point, our Lord and Incubi will be top priority. These guys should probably be BURIED in cover.

- Since they lack heavy ordinance (short of a Monolith, I know) perhaps staying relatively close together is the cure.

-Counter WBB with lots of Disintegrator shots. The triple Ravager+Dissie+Nightshield battery is mobile and devastating.

-Against a Monolith, I hear a Small unit of Wyches with Haywire Grenades and a Goblet of Spite is utterly nasty. It may be worth taking just one unit of Wyches to counter that Monolith.

Ideas? Anything that has worked for you in the past that belongs here?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
combat in large numbers will help, it does rather depend on what sort of cron army you face, a flying circus or destroyer army can cause a lot of pain

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just target his destroyers with lances and kill them as fast as possible, then aim on anything you want. If he takes veil and uses it he gives you a big juicy unit packed just ideally for your ravager with 3 dissisis. Aim all your weapons at that unit and try to destroy it, is something survive, then charge.

Necrons are the easiest army to beat with DE. First kill destroyers, then shoot warriors and charge those that survive, try to swarm his units, this way he will have a big LD modifier, and with his ini of 2 he will not run far. And they cannot come back if they are destroyed by sweeping advance. Play smart...and sneaky ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Against Monoltihs: Ignore it. I'm serious, just ignore the sillly thing. One of the things people often forget about necrons is that your goal against them isn't to kill them off, it is to phase them out. As far as phasing out is concerned, a monolith is just as valueable as a warrior. We are highly mobile army so we can just stay away from the monolith most of the time. Unless you have a unit full of heywire grenades (VERY EXPENSIVE), it takes too many resources to take even one down.

If his army is abusing deepstrike/portals then you can abuse distintegrators right back since after portaling/deepstriking they are VERY nicely bunched up together and S 7 AP 2 says "why hello thar" to them.

If he is fielding a very elite army (destroyer spam) then it is simplicity in itself: shoot them. My lists rarely have less then 4 DLs (or equivalents) and generally have something like 6-8. That plus mass splinter spam and assaults by things such as incubi and succubi armed with agonizers works great.

Remember: Everything you have is faster.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
combat in large numbers will help, it does rather depend on what sort of cron army you face, a flying circus or destroyer army can cause a lot of pain
That, or a force with a destroyer group with a veiled destroyer lord and a 10 man immortal unit. This way the immortals can veil every single turn whereever destroyers go. This is a nasty strategy, very effective.

Seriously though, necrons are extemely over rated. There is many ways to hurt them, and the dark lances with disintegrators are our close friends here. The key disadvantage of any necron army is the lack of units in a form of squads. Necron squads are very expensive which lets the player have only a few of them, and since one squad can only shoot at one thing at a time this can be used to an advantage. For example, hide a raider full of incubi between 3 other raiders with nothing but 5 warriors and a lance in each of the 3. Your opponent will have to choose which raider to shoot, and if he chooses poorly, he dies during the charge because nothing in the necron army can stand up to them. this is one of the reasons why ghost raider armies are so competitive nowadays.

Monolith should always be ignored.

Incubi are usualy taken over wyches because they have a 3 up save which will help them take a punch a live to tell the tale, while in CC they will carve through any necron unit at ease. Even pariahs dont stand a chance against them.

Destroyers kill anything they shoot at, but to our advantage they can only shoot at one thing a turn. This is actualy a personal thing, but I take 3 ravagers each with 2 disies and a lance, and combined fire power will wipe out a 5 man detroyer unit very easily.

Warriors can control fire lanes and harass necron warriors with heavy weapons, the one very big aspect of the game against necron is channel enemy destroyers via controlling of fire lanes which can help you predict their most probable location because a smart necron player will never expose his destroyers into LOS of enemy heavy weapons.

There is a bunch of nasty little tricks you can use, its all about exposing the enemy's disadvantages while keeping your hidden from him.

·
Registered
235 Posts
-Against a Monolith, I hear a Small unit of Wyches with Haywire Grenades and a Goblet of Spite is utterly nasty. It may be worth taking just one unit of Wyches to counter that Monolith
Are you implying that this weapons combo would have haywire grenades hitting on a 3+? Because I thought even though the monolith was ponderous it was still a skimmer, does this mean the combo could also be used for eldar/tau skimmers?

If so, that seems like a very cool combo and something I will have to look into because there are a fair few tau / eldar skimmers that I can only glance among my regular opponents.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
Are you implying that this weapons combo would have haywire grenades hitting on a 3+? Because I thought even though the monolith was ponderous it was still a skimmer, does this mean the combo could also be used for eldar/tau skimmers?

If so, that seems like a very cool combo and something I will have to look into because there are a fair few tau / eldar skimmers that I can only glance among my regular opponents.
Goblet of spite over rides the skimmer rule so they do hit on 3s, question is if you realy would want to spend points on a unit+raider that might or might not get the job done and at the same time surely die in the process.

Reason why you dont want to use this on eldar and tau is because their skimmers are very fast unlike the monolith that floats a lousy 6" a turn.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a look at other dexes after I settled on Dark Eldar and it seemed to me that Necrons and Chaos Marines were grossly overpowered armies. However it is really interesting to hear the more experienced point out the other baddy races inherent flaws and weaknesses. I think the big one is points. They have to pay a lot for a little, whereas we pay a little for a lot. In my book, more dice rolls means greater chance of success! I would focus my numbers in unison and force each one of those small squads to throw a lot of saves. Phase out is the goal!
Does the Monoliths point cost equate to its percentage points in battle?

·
527 Posts
I have fought several different necron armies with several different builds, and I have managed to phase every one of them. The key is, as many have said, is to first fire everything you have at destroyers (charging any survivors) and 2nd, at least for me, is to charge multiple units at once. If I can charge 1 squad of wyches into 2 necron warrior squads Ill do it every time. They key is to engage so many units that he doesnt have the oppurtunity to teleport them all out.

And never forget, especially with destroyers and wraiths, once you start firing at a target, don't stop til its gone. Nothing worse then dropping 4/5 or 9/10 and having the majority stand back up again....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts