Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, in about 17 hours, I'm going to play a 2000 point game between me and my friend (me being the necrons, him being the tau) and having never played with necrons (but read ALOT of tacticas) and never played against Tau (But I know them very well) and him having the same problem, I am in need to little tips to help me...

I have both the Codices, and so does he, and I have a small idea of his army (I allowed him to have 4 HS to meet the 2000 points)

1 Skyray
3 Hammerheads (I allowed him to choose the weapon he wanted not needing to WYSIWYG)
2 Crisis Suits
32 Fire Warrior with makers drones for some squads
8 Pathfinders
1 Etheraul
X Stealth Suits (maybe 3-4 I thinks:p)
3 Piranahs
Some Kroot
Some Drones (a few shield 1-4) and more gun I think

My army consist of this (models wise that are usuable):
60 Necron Warriors
10 Immortals
10 Destroyers
2 Lords (1 SOL the other scyth and destroyer body)

More models (not at his place but maybe for future games):
2 Lords (1 scyth, one Scyth OR SOL (Phase Spear))
20 Scarabs
1 TS with PP
1 Monolith
3 H Destroyers

Any help for this and future battles?

thanks

D-End

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
This should go under army lists

Ok, first off, the last thing you want it for him to have 4 HS choices, you should just drop the points to 1800 or whatever he'd be able to field.

Throw a Veil of Darkness and a Res orb on that foot-lord with the SOL, then give him the 10 immortals and unleash hell (this is fondly known by 'cron players as the "flying circus") drop them behind the crisis suits and blast them away.

Split the destroyers into 3 squads of 3. use these to run circles around the tau and rip the tanks to pieces with them, when the tanks are gone, shoot everything else

after that I'd field 4 squads of 12 warriors each, giving you a 1794pt army list that would be very difficult to phase out and VERY deadly

so all that is
HQ: Lord, SOL, Veil, Orb-200
ELT: X10 Immortals = 280
TRP: X 12 Warriors = 216
FA: X3 Destroyers = 150
FA: X3 Destroyers = 150
FA: x3 Destroyers = 150

Total = 1794
Phase Out=17

I dunno where you picked up that many Necrons but that's probly the meanest list I've ever seen in my life.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to keep the points to 2000 but we might ahve to tone it down, I have a deep hatred (no Idea why) for the Flying Circus ubt apart from that i,ll usse your list if we ahve to keep the points down.

Any other help?

Thanks you!

D-End!

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
I'd like to keep the points to 2000 but we might ahve to tone it down, I have a deep hatred (no Idea why) for the Flying Circus ubt apart from that i,ll usse your list if we ahve to keep the points down.

Any other help?

Thanks you!

D-End!
The T5 Immortals and S5 Assault weaponry really wreck Tau. Though you loath it, I suggest giving it a go.

As far as letting him have a 4th HS slot, that's between you guys. However, I would suggest he resiprocate by allowing you to have a 4th FA slot. Then field two squads of 5xDestroyers and two squads of 10xScarabs (or something along those lines).

Maybe something like this:
HQ
Lord w/VoD - 160
Lord w/RO - 140

Elite
8xImmortals - 196

Troops
12xWarriors - 216
12xWarriors - 216
12xWarriors - 216

Fast Attack
4xDestroyers - 200
4xDestroyers - 200
9xScarabs - 108
7xScarabs w/DFs - 112

Heavy Support
Monolith - 235

1999 points
PO @ 13

You could even afford to drop the RO Lord considering that there is little range weaponry that can deny WBB. Sure the Solid Shot will do the job, but I would laugh at the waste of a single shot (x3). With those points you can beef up all sorts of things or add a couple of Heavy Destroyers.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't hate Immortals, just VOD, and 7 hours left...

It's to late for the 4th FA, as I already only brought the 10 Destroyers and left the rest at home...

But for future battles, are scarabs really that good?

I tought all the high Strenght fire power would kill them...

thanks

D-End

·
Registered
69 Posts
Scarabs are really good at tying up enemies. They're cheap, have alot of wounds and are fast. Only if you're trying to attack monstrours creatures or squads with lots of fists they're going to die sort of fast.

·
1,492 Posts
Scarabs ruin the day for Crisis Suits and Fire Warriors. Just remember to use Turbo Boost and Cover where possible. You could even Deep Strike them if you want. I have had a squad of 10 Scarabs get shot up (because I wasn't aggressive enough and I didn't Turbo Boost them) by a couple of Crisis Suits all tooled up with S6+ weaponry. 4 survived to my turn and I then charged him. After two rounds of combat, I lost 1 Scarab and a Wound and he lost a Crisis Suit and two rounds of shooting. Not a bad exchange. I could only imgaine the devestation had I been more aggressive earlier.

Remember, the standard Tau troops have the same Initiative as Necron troops!

Having those DF Scarabs (in future battles) can serve double-duty by hunting infantry or going after juicy armour targets of opportunity.

For this battle I suggest:

HQ
Lord w/VoD - 160
Destroyer Lord w/WS/PS/NS/Chrono - 210

Elite
9xImmortals - 252

Troops
12xWarriors - 216
12xWarriors - 216
10xWarriors - 180
10xWarriors - 180
10xWarriors - 180

Fast Attack
4xDestroyers - 200
4xDestroyers - 200

1994 points
PO @ 18

Without a Monolith, this list is slower than normal, but against Tau that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Be confident in the resilience of your army. Use the VoD once your Warrior phalanx starts to affect the Tau lines and use the DLord to harass small units or ICs as the aforementioned occurs. This could throw the Tau off balance in what might have been just a shootout.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
scarabs can help alot by tieing stuff up and hunting down his stealth suits, also give small squads disruption fields and you can threaten his skimmers, atleast the piranha, but even the hammer heads if you get close

stay away from your monolith, it is just too easy, with those rail guns, to take down
I would be very wary about VoD cos withthat much high str weaponry I want maximum res orb coverage, just roll a big warrior phalanx up the field and start shooting him

accordingly I would put your warriors into larger squads (15) so all 5 can stay near the lord, give the lord res orb and phylactery, just to keep him ticking

keep the destroyers round the other lord, again with res orb, nothign special there

and on the whole I think I would prefer the scarabs to the imortals

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I'm a newbie to 'crons myself, but here are a few lessons I've been learning:

1) Don't baby your warriors. Even if you have a lot of them, holding a unit back to protect against phase-out is a bad idea. They're tougher than you think they are. March!

2) Two squads of 5 destroyers each is almost "mean" to field. Use them to take out the Hammerheads or crisis suits. Massed fire from them will do well against tanks, despite their lower strength, and their mobility will keep up well with crisis suits. Above all, do NOT give your opponent a chance to get into CC with them. It's imperative they remain mobile and capable of shooting.

3) Unless you're hitting IG, don't expect your scarabs to actually do any killing, like, ever. What they ARE good for is holding stuff still. In my first game with mine, I played a Tau army, and went after my opponent's tooled-up crisis suit commander. Scarabs will NOT kill an HQ. By the time it was over, I don't think the commander was even breathing hard, and my little buggies were scattered and shattered, however, it took four (!) turns for him to do it. That whole time(most of the game), he couldn't shoot or move, rendering him useless. There's a lesson there.

4) I already said not to baby your warriors, but don't forget to USE them, too! Yes, shooting is good, but if his firewarriors aren't in transports, I'd almost consider charging them (probably the last thing they'll expect). You could use the immortals to draw their fire from the warriors (or vice versa, even). Yes, necron warriors aren't known for CC ability, but neither are firewarriors, and your leadership is vastly superior. Who do YOU think will break first? Even if you get stuck in CC, that means they won't get to shoot your warriors (or anything else, if you tie up enough of them). Getting into CC robs Tau of mobility and firepower, their two biggest assets, and forces them to rely on their CC abilities, which happens to be one of their biggest weaknesses. Charge!

5) Don't forget the "jump back" ability of the crisis suits. A perfect place for them is just out of your gun range, and in cover. On their move, they'll move into range, blast you in the shooting phase, then "jump" safely back into cover (and out of your range) during the assault phase, leaving you to lick your wounds with no hope of counterattack. It's a mean trick. Watch for it, and try to find a way to counter. If all else fails, advance, and force your opponent to try something different.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Scarabs with disrutpion fields are great for vehicles. you need a 6 to hit almost always and a big swarm of 10 will usually cripple a tank if not waste it.
I love eating eldar skimmers with these guys.
Against troops I'm mixed. They are great for chewing through eldar and min/max marine squads with NO FISTS(won't miss the powerfist nerf if it happens here). I can only guess what they'll do to tau in their lines!
I'll be interesting to see how this fight goes for you.

·
1,492 Posts
You'll notice I put no ROs in the suggested list. That is because I subscribe to WBF. Don't misunderstand, ROs are extremely useful, but they seem to have become a crutch. One should consider the size of the game and their opponent. In this case it is your opponent, Tau, that makes it not necessary to field any ROs.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
5) Don't forget the "jump back" ability of the crisis suits. A perfect place for them is just out of your gun range, and in cover. On their move, they'll move into range, blast you in the shooting phase, then "jump" safely back into cover (and out of your range) during the assault phase, leaving you to lick your wounds with no hope of counterattack. It's a mean trick. Watch for it, and try to find a way to counter. If all else fails, advance, and force your opponent to try something different.
Most crisis suits don't jump into cover but behind it... so even if you have range, you don't have line of sight.

Scarabs with disrutpion fields are great for vehicles. you need a 6 to hit almost always and a big swarm of 10 will usually cripple a tank if not waste it.
I love eating eldar skimmers with these guys.
Disruption fields work on a 6 in the armor penetration roll, not the to hit roll... So against those eldar skimmers, you need two 6's in a row.

Anyway, you should be fine. He doesn't really have anything that will give you too much trouble. Just don't expose your destroyers to a large amount of firepower.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Disruption fields work on a 6 in the armor penetration roll, not the to hit roll... So against those eldar skimmers, you need two 6's in a row.
I have been very lucky with disruption fields. They haven't failed me yet with all the attacks I throw at tanks. I do understand how they work, but thak you anyway.

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I learned he has no Kroot, and 3 SS...

Thanks for the tips, but he posponed the game to tomorow same time, and I left my models at his play, and his cats got my destroyers (killed 2 arms)

:0

D-End

·
1,492 Posts
...and his cats got my destroyers (killed 2 arms)
Yeah, cats ignore all saves (armour, invulnerable, and cover) and completely negate WBB and the effects of the RO. They strike at WS10/S10/I10 with 20 Attacks and are Fearless. I can't help you with those. ;)

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are they affected by gauss weaponry as normal, you nkow, just before the game, incase he drops one on me (might even be litteraly), Also what FOC section do they use in a Tau army? I'd like to see his armylist to see if he usus one or even 2!

:D!

D-End

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.