Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I couldn't find anything about this subject, so I made a new thread.

My question to you is: What army's are Necron bad against, or hardest to beat? I never found anything about this (Heard some things like: Nidzilla, Khorne assault), but I want to know EVERY army thats very hard to beat for us. Since I'm a *new* Necron player, and only fought against *750-1250 pts.* Space marines and Tyranids, I want to know more about everything! Hope you guys can help eachother by giving tactics against the things youre going to mention.

Note: English isn't my first language, so forgive me any grammatical errors :j

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
Right now Necrons struggle to beat every army. I'm sure people will disagree but with Gauss all but useless and the game so much about Troops, they're just in a terrible place.

I'd say hardest is an army with lots of vehicles. Anything with lots of infantry you may be able to out-shoot with WBB but tanks are just no good. Armies that can easily assault you are bad news also because the Codex has two competent CC fighters.

Hurry someone disagree!

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say Necrons are bad against everything. They aren't powerful, however certain armies really play to their weaknesses.

Vehicle heavy lists can definitely be troublesome, and with mechanized lists being so wildly popular these days, it does spell trouble for us. On the other hand, most transports are pretty well fodder for a Necron army. Heavy armor can prove a problem, but really with a standard Necron shooting list, you should be able to demolish many vehicle lists. Or at least demolish the vehicles.

I personally find gun-line style lists, though not necessarily in style, largely possible to beat. Tau tend to not be that difficult an opponent, though it may be because my Tau opponent isn't terribly experienced. Though Necrons' toughness always seems to prevail over Tau power-shooting.

For me the toughest opponents are Orks and Blood Angels. A pair of armies that are both powerful in close combat, and that I can't shoot down before they hit my lines. Also they have ways to bypass my counter-charge Spyders. Orks having too many to kill with a powerclaw inside, or BAngels with their death-company.

The Tyranids I play against tend to be a little...unorthadox, so I can't really judge them effectively, but I figure my general lists would get summarily stomped by Nidzilla.

IG are difficult to face, because of the sheer nastiness of their big guns and the huge amount of armor they like to field. Since I'm not in a competitive circuit they aren't AS bad, and I've been able to survive against them, and generally trade punches.

·
1,880 Posts
I agree with the statements above. I would say your biggest fear is a TOOLED CC army. Period, any heavily CC'd (even moderately) will just charge right at you as fast as possible and sweep your warriors, thus enacting Phase out real quick. Hence warriors for me SUCK right now and I only take 10x3 warriors at 2k now. At less than 1k, I'll say we're probably fine because I can field my Forced Org and then bring 10 destroyers! Not much can survive that at 1k...but still, we need to stay back unless it's something like guard or tau. Then our warriors can actually assault and win in many cases :soldier:.

I literally just finished an 1850 tourny and placed 3rd for 'Best Gereral' out of 26 other plays. I had 2 major victories and 1 draw. However it was HARD fought and the Ctan earned almost ALL the points for all 3 games. However, I will admit that was some good dice rolls and such. Necrons have become far from the EZ mode they used to be. And I shouldn't say EZ mode, just different tactics a little and there are some new weaknesses that are huge.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I actually like facing mech armies with my Necrons. Being able to get glances on anything with anything makes for a lot of dead (or at least not shooting that turn) enemy vehicles. What I have problems against, gunlines of fast enemies (DE and E are pains) and CC armies. More often then not the fast armies stay out of my range and shoot up my heavy hitters with things like Bright lances and star cannons. CC armies get in where we are too slow to help getting chopped up.

Also anything with 2+ saves is a pain in the mechanical booty because we just don't have anything to shoot them with. So unless the C-tan does it all we just have to hope a wealth of shots overwhelm them and they fail their saves.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The only thing I've had overwhelming trouble with has been CC oriented armies. Blood Angels and Orks usualy smoke my crons, unless I take my dual monolith list.

Other than that, haven't had much difference in my tactics between 4th and 5th edition, besides staying the hell away from CC at all costs.

The Mech lists don't bother me, since my destroyers sweeping up and down the flanks keep them all immobilized for almost the whole game. And if something desides to disembark, the warriors shoot em up pretty good.

When facing CC armies, I usualy take a squad of scarabs to act as tarpits while the rest of my forces get into possition.

Also, don't underestimate the power of a squad of scarabs with d-fields against armor, it tears them apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to see your opinions!

Allright, so CC-tooled armys as Blood Angels and Orks are the worst thing to meet on your path of conquering the world :soldier:
2+ armor saves are a pain to kill (except for C'tan)...

I've faced a SpaceMech-army once, but, as Nhyx already said, I think they're not worst to beat, because you just shoot all those transports etc. with Destroyers.

So I don't need to expect much annoyance from things like SoB or IG or Tau?
Weird

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just had a game against a death guard army.

Deceiver killed 3 obilits,5 terminators in 1 combat (lucky rolling),a dread,and 1 10x CSM unit.

My list was

Deceiver

40x warriors

2 monoliths

It looks like a pie plate weak list on paper but works well if you know what your doing.

Deceiver in 5th ed with run is just a monster.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From experience, out of all of the games I've played, I only really find CC orientated lists and 2+ save units to be my list's weakness. Hordes are problematic for me but I wouldn't consider them a weakness, just a general difficulty that some of the more 'expensive' armies share. However, the outnumberedness and I of 2 does make it even more difficult but that's what the C'tan and a monolith is for.

Vehicles are easy, despite needing to fire more shots to achieve death by auto-glance. Pie plating is next to useless against my phalanx arrangement, usually only getting 5 or so warriors at a time. ResOrb obviously in the vicinity at all times and the monolith just in case the WBB rolls go horribly wrong.

Then again, some of the games can be attributed to luck, just good strategy or the sheer underestimation made by some of my opponents.

To summarise, the weaknesses that I perceive the necrons to have is:

• Difficulty to cope with CC heavy lists (when engaged in CC)
  • Vulnerable to being swept
  • Difficulty in dealing with 2+ save units effectively, due to lack of availability of AP2 weapons on less expensive units
And I'm agree with you PrinceChimera, the Deceiver + Run = BEAST!!!

Just my humble opinion.

·
1,880 Posts
And I'm agree with you PrinceChimera, the Deceiver + Run = BEAST!!!
I'll take this a step further...always ESCAPE combat in the opponents assault phase and you get another 2d6 movement DURING his turn. I've managed to assault 24" this way before...fall back move any direction 2d6, move 6" your turn, assault 6" your turn. It's insane how much damage the Deceiver can do compared to the nightbringer. Especially since he can't be locked down in CC for multiple turns.

I waste tanks, squads, all sorts of crap and my Deceiver ALWAYS earns his points back. In fact I've started fielding 3 wraiths to add to the wounds if the deceiver assaults. 12 Wraith attacks, 5 deceiver attacks can sweep alot of stuff! :sinister:

·
725 Posts
To summarise, the weaknesses that I perceive the necrons to have is:

• Difficulty to cope with CC heavy lists (when engaged in CC)
  • Vulnerable to being swept
  • Difficulty in dealing with 2+ save units effectively, due to lack of availability of AP2 weapons on less expensive units

My sentiments exactly. Vehicles havnt given me that much trouble. Gauss, I find, even though glancing will disable enough of them to keep them honest. A couple support vehicals, with tooled CC MC or squads of Bloodletters are the worst. Your forced to fire at them cause if you let them hit your line on the charge its all over for you.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
So I don't need to expect much annoyance from things like SoB or IG or Tau?
Weird
SoB are usually a very mech oriented army and can really come out of nowhere with Faith.

3 Exorcists shooting into troops are a pain meanwhile rhinos plow up the field. The thing most people forget about is, while they can get AP1 with their shots, the same faith power grants power weapons on 6s in melee, which does more against necrons then AP1. More often then not I've found myself charging into necrons with sisters rather then shooting because of this. Even at I3 we still go before 'crons.

That's very unorthodox though, but do what you gotta do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.