Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been discussed before, in which case point me to a thread. What kind of patrol do you use for 40k in 40 minutes?

I'm new to 3rd edition WH40K, after having last played Orks during the 1st edition Rogue Trader days (and early 2nd edition days). Ah, the game was different back then and I was a youngn' with nae a thought in my head except to be shooty and get lots of teef.

Necrons seem to be more my speed now. Playing around with Army Builder, I've put together the following patrol, focused on close combat on a small board:

10 Warriors
3 Wraiths
5 Flayed Ones
393 points

A Destroyer seems a bit heavy handed for 40k in 40 minutes, but here is an alternate list, heavy on the handedness:

11 Warriors
4 Destroyers
398 points

This might be kind of fun also:

10 Warriors
6 Pariahs
396 points

Or we can descend into sillyness:

10 Warriors
10 Scarabs
8 Scarabs
396 points

Anyway, the first list is what I'd take, but I'm inexperienced. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
318 Posts
At 400 points you definitely need to protect that phase out..... I'd use that 1st list, or the second one with one less destroyer, and 2 more warriors. IMO Pariahs are just a waste of points as they aren't NECRON units, and just suck up points. (They ARE rather beefy, but when you phase out, they don't stick around)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree with Lordhat. You could add a Tomb Spyder to the first or second list, juggling points as necessary, and therefore have an infinte amount of Scarabs. That seems like a good idea to me.

·
689 Posts
you need minimum 20 warriors. if there are not some special rules that i've never heard about. and thats 360 pts. you don't even have the pts for a lord. and thus you can't play 400 pts with the necrons.

·
Registered
857 Posts
well, you wouldn't be bringing them to the table... you'd be creating them. That better be allowed or I'll... I'll... cry!

·
1,880 Posts
I know the 3 wound rule, but scarabs would be PERFECT for patrols! Think about it, a brainless roaming drone...kinda like an early detection grid! :D

I know you can chop them down to 2 wounds, but it's only if your opponent agrees...I've had to chop them down to 1 wound @ 12pts each w/disruption fields (nice friend :blink: )

Also, would a tomb spider really be in a patrol?

I've been thinking about
10 Warriors
3 Destroyers
4 Flayed Ones (Hold behind warriors, to use after they initiate close combat with a squad of warriors, since once all 4 die I don't get WBB for them.)
402 points
17 Necrons, Phase out @ 4

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm pretty sure making scarabs is allowed, as you are only restricted from buying models with more than 2 wounds. I can't say for sure as I don't have my BGB with me.

And depending on who you are facing in the game, Pariahs could do very well for you. If it's an enemy that stays at range the whole game, go for Immortals. Same stats as Pariahs, same ability at range, 8 pts cheaper.

If it's an enemy that is going to be on your ass by turn 1-2 (Khorne, Nids...), the Pariahs save/toughness combined with it's ability to ignore saves in HtH could be a tide turner. But, as was stated they are not Necrons (per the special rule), and care needs to be taken when you field them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.