Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are good against necrons (apart from incubi) and what is better against them disentegrators or dark lances?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dark lances are good, cos the deny the 'we'll be back roll' against necronwarriors.
Wyches with wychweapons, succubus with agoniser are great against destroyers.
Talos.
Keep in mind that necrons arenot that good in CC. In addition every powerweapon denies the 'we'll be back roll'!
Just watch out for destroyers! They'll shoot the crap out off you!
The monolith is a pain too, but fairly slow and costly. Meaning less warriors. So concentrate on the warriors. forcing a phase-out.

Hope this will help

Lord Draahk

·
Registered
777 Posts
Against DE, necron warriors are actually just as good (if not better) in CC than space marines are. Their only real downside in CC is that they are at initiative 2, which doesn't make a difference against DE (space marines would strike last anyway too). Otherwise the necron warrior has the same stats, but it also has a higher leadership, and a WBB save (with a monolith, they can potentially have 2 WBB saves).

The monolith, while it is a point sink, more than makes up its points against DE. It is VERY difficult for DE to even scratch it with all of its special rules. And its ability to teleport necron warriors out of CC is murder to any of your CC squads...whyches dont last too long when they're stuck in the open trying to find the necrons that just vanished into thin air. All that for less points than a land raider.

Dark lances are good, but any decent necron player will ALWAYS keep a res orb near his warriors, allowing them to ALWAYS get a WBB roll. I would take dissies against them, because you've got a better chance to cause a larger dent in their squads. Every warrior you kill counts, because if your enemy has a lith, generally about 60-70% of whatever you kill is going to get back up.

Necrons are tough for DE to beat. They're probably the toughest for DE to beat (ESPECIALLY if they take a monolith). Phase out seems like the way to go, and perhaps it is, but few people realize how difficult that is (ESPECIALLY if they take a monolith).

It would be optimal for you to take out the monolith early in the game, but thats mostly just wishful thinking. You could always just make a sacrificial wych squad with haywire nades and charge em into the lith (your odds of downing it are still low, but they're greater than if you were to just shoot at it). Be warned though, you will most likely lose this squad.

Best way to go, IMO, is focus ALL firepower and ALL close combat units on a single warrior squad and try to wipe the whole squad out in one turn. That way they'll stay dead, and maybe you'll be lucky enough in the next round of shooting that you'll have enough left over to wipe out the next squad.

Either way, good luck. Go frag some toasters.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take as many power weapons and agonisers as you can against the necrons. I tend to use dark lances more than disintegrators because they deny "we'll be back" rolls and can glance a monolith on a roll of 6. The disintegrator can not even hurt a monolith. If you take a shadow field watch out for war scythes (they ignore invulnerable saves).

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Their only real downside in CC is that they are at initiative 2, which doesn't make a difference against DE
It makes a huge difference!
Necs have no ATSKNF nor are they fearless, and being run down in a sweeping advance denies WBB no matter what, not even an orb can help then anymore.

Morale is a powerful weapon against necrons, and I2 hurts them badly if they fail a morale check in an assaut - especially against dark eldar.

Get some wyches into combat with warriors, break them, and they only have a 1/36 chance to survive the advance. They need a six to survive if you roll a one.

I admit, i didn't have many opportunities to play against necrons, but whenever i did, i killed more of them by means of morale than by power weapons or in dark lance firestorms

·
Registered
138 Posts
In my oppinion, don't worry about the lith' if they take one. I have tried many games to focus all fire power on it and I still haven't destroyed one yet. In my best games vs. crons' I focused all my attention at one squad at a time. Really work for phase out. Talos have been pretty successful in all my games especially vs. scarabs.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Watching Talos charge headlong into a squad of scarabs is like watching the Sesame Street episode where Cookie Monster visits the Nabisco factory...OOOOH THE CARNAGE!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't count out the possibility of downing a Monolith to massed fire. Take this as you will, because dice are fickle and it really just comes down to them, but the last time I played against Necrons (which was also the first time) I had his monloith destroyed, and his Nightbringer dead by turn 2. Now granted this didn't do anything towards his phase out, but it took care of over a quarter of his force in points. The mission was bunker assault, so I came prepared to pop bunkers. 3 DL sniper squads, and a DL Ravager started on the board, with everything else in portals (except my mandrakes, which tied up his Destroyer Lord in combat for 2 turns. who then dies to massed DL fire on the following turn) it just happened my opponent was necrons, and I had the firepower to bring to bear.

I still remember the look on his face when his Monolith went down.... Pure gold!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Believe it or not an Archon in a Raider with Grots works well against toasters. Position your assault so only the Archon is in BtB with the very edge of a flank. Her attacks should kill everyone within 2" of her and the Grots autofallback rule means they will run. The Archon's initiative should result in a wipeout of them.

Reactions: Neferata

·
Registered
777 Posts
Excellent point. I've always thought of combining grots with wyches for that very reason, but it would be easier to just stick a lord in the squad, detatch her from it before the charge, and then have her go chasing crons down.

After she chases the crons down, which she will, consolidate consolidate her in such a way that the grots are the closest viable target for enemy shooting, and let them soak up all the gauss fire that they will receive in the following shooting phase (God I love feel no pain).

[email protected] good idea if you ask me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can't take the credit for that tactic as much as I'd like to. Archonbjorn proposed it to me. Unfortunately I can't use it as I mainly run a Wych Cult and Grots are not allowed in my army.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
and let them soak up all the gauss fire that they will receive in the following shooting phase (God I love feel no pain).
Note that the gauss special rule works against grotesques...and without a character to lead them, they are very likely to fail the subsequent morale check for 25% casualties.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
By the way I know this is gona sound WEIRD but if you take down lets say 5 necron warriors with power weapons or double touhness weapon, they cant be regenerated in any way. It doesnt matter whether he has 1 or 10 liths or 1 and 10 resurection orbs, once down means down for good. I just talked to a games workshop guy, thats what he said, it even states that in the rule book sooo... I guess lances and agonisers are the way to go:w00t: Doesnt that make you happy??? I guess sucubi and sybarite are usefull for a change HEHE:shifty:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
What are you talking about? The res orb works as normal and continues to negate the negation of WBB due to strength or power weapons...if something states otherwise, please drop a reference.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Necron warriors are allowed a WBB roll even if there is no res orb nearby (provided they aren't hit with a power weapon/weapon double their toughness or the entire squad is wiped out).

If they do take a res orb, then they're even allowed a WBB in all circumstances aside from the squad being wiped out.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
ArchonAstaroth said:
What are you talking about? The res orb works as normal and continues to negate the negation of WBB due to strength or power weapons...if something states otherwise, please drop a reference.
Hey dont blame me, I'm just copeing exactly what he said, I think we are putting way too much thght in the topic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts