·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Army idea so far is
X2 X20 Warriors fc
X2 X20 longbeards fc
X20 Ironbreakersfull command
Runelord w/great weapon,Master rune of Spellbinding,X2 Spelleater runes and a rune of fury
Runesmith w/great weapon,master rune of balance,rune of spellbreaking
Runesmith w/great weapon, spelleater rune, rune of spellbreaking
X2 bolt throwers w/engineers, one has rune of penetrating and the other has rune of flaming

Now I would like any advice or tactics but I want my Throng to be an old Throng no new fangled things like gyrocopters, or flame cannons

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
For the most part I like the army. It has plenty of block units, which a dwarf army really needs. But it is a bit light on the shooting side. Dwarfs don't need shooting, but its very handy to have to try and lighten up your opponents rank bonus. With this in mind I would be inclined to drop one of the Longbeard units and instead try and get two units of missile units. Quarrellers or Thunderers, each have their uses and its down to personal taste. I like to have one of each. 10-12 with shields and musician is probably the best build for them.

Your characters are OK, but you really lack any form of hitty character. I'd always go for a dwarf lord over the runelord, unless you're going for the Anvil. The lord adds a bit of punch to the list. Give him shieldbearers and a RoStone and he's ready to rock, add more runes to taste. The runesmiths are fine, the builds are pretty good. I would suggest giving them both shields as well, allows you to use them defensive or offensive. Offence is +2S, and the defence is a 3+ save. Not sure on the ROSpell Eating. Its expensive for a 50/50 chance of destroying the spell, but I've never really used it, so again down to personal taste.

The war machines are fine, but consider both with RoPenetrating and then one of them with the RoFlaming. Makes them both S7, and one can deal with regen. The engineer is now pretty much a requisite, makes it easier to hit with them. Maybe consider giving him pistols for a bit of added defence ( 2x S4 shots in a stand and shoot) against fast cav and other 'hunters'.

Overall, I think you list is quite good. I would change things but those are mostly down to personal taste. I always like to get a BSB in there, I also like to have a rune on my special units (Battle is always a good choice) and quite like a cannon etc. But I see nothing really wrong with your list.

I hope I helped.

Kuffy

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Wow, my name was mentioned!
I am becoming a dwarf titan :D
just not a very tall titan..

I just calculated the points, 1999.

Just like Kuffy, I'd take a dwarf lord over the rune lord, so I'd advie you to drop the runelord ( frees up: 321 pts ) and swap the spelleater rune on your runesmith with the Master rune of Spellbinding. The +1 is more handy with so many dispelldice than that 4+ chance.

321 pts left, that should buy you a nice lord. I'd recommend keeping him cheap and rock hard, like this:
Lord
shieldbearers
rune of stone
great weapon
Masterrune of spite

And incidentally ( wasn't on purpose at all ) you then have 95 pts left and I always have a el cheapo thane in my army of 94 pts. Lovely isn't it?

Thane
Master rune of gromril
Great weapon

The other option for this guy is to make him the BSB, he won't be very protected though, better keep him safe, maybe in the lord unit.

Thane
Battle standard
rune of stone

So then you will have an army of 5 blocks, 2 warmachines, 2 anti magic heroes ( and not bad at combat either ) , a BSB and a lord.
They are generating 7 dispelldice, 2 scrolls and +1 to dispell. This should be sufficient for anything below 2000 pts, except the really magic heavy armies like Tzeench daemons or VC, and those too will have a hard time getting many spells off.

You can either deside to leave it at that, or add some more missile troops. Because the dwarfs are as slow ( and tough ) as a rock you might want to remove one unit of warriors. And yes, you can do that, because when you have a dwarf lord he allows you to have 1 more unit of longbeards than warriors.
205 pts to spend. You wanted and 'old' army, do you consider thunderers as 'old'? You can choose. An idea would be to take 10 quarrelers with shields ( or great weapons, it works good for flanking enemies when they get close to your line and are fighting your blocks. ) and have 85 pts left for extra runes here and there.
Maybe you want to use those points to make an army standard of doom, the rune of slowness maybe ( - D6" to an enemy charging them ) or rune of Grungni ( 5+ ward vs missiles )

Removing the warriors for missile troops ( maybe a cannon with RoForging and boltthrower with engineer ) is up to you and how you want to play, I would advice it, the warrios are a bit of a 'weak link' in your battleline with Ws4 and Str3, but they are still a lot better than most enemy infantry. But I would advice you to go with the dwarf lord and minor thane/BSB, it will boost your line considerably and give you ld 10!

I hope I helped :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so my changes are as follows:

Lord
shieldbearers
rune of stone
great weapon
Masterrune of spite

Thane
Battle standard
Rune of Stone
Rune of Battle
Great Weapon

Both bolt throwers now have rune of penetrating

Dropped the warriors for ten Thunderers w/shields no command

Which gives me a total of 1998 so is this a good list for me to start with for Dwarves?

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Thane
Battle standard
Rune of Stone
Rune of Battle
Great Weapon

Which gives me a total of 1998 so is this a good list for me to start with for Dwarves?
Sadly that BSB build is illegal for 2 reasons:
- a great weapon and a battle standard, you will need both hands for the standard
- a rune on your armour and a rune on your banner. If a thane takes a runic banner he can't take any other runic items.

It's no real problem, because longbeards and ironbreakers can put runes on their banners, so you can just put the rune of battle on one of theirs.

Let's see, 2 good heroes, good magic defense, 3 rock solid combat blocks that should butcher most infantry, another above average infantry unit to fill it up, a thunderers unit, and 2 bolt throwers, you've got fine shooting to force the enemy into a confrontation. Keep your bolt throwers peeled for enemy units that are going to flank your blocks.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Some points for consideration:
-Hammerers are better than ironbreakers, especially with a shieldbearer lord
-Try and free space for at least one organ gun, every list needs one
-Maybe another unit of 10 quarrellers besides your thunderers, now you have a well rounded force.

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Some points for consideration:
-Hammerers are better than ironbreakers, especially with a shieldbearer lord hammerers are good, yes, cost the same with shields as ironbreakers, and are stubborn, stubborn longbeards basically. But do think about the opponents you are likely to face. If there are very shooty armies in your area and a lot of hammerers might go down before they see combat, and it is especially the high elf great weapon wielders you need to fear, swordmasters in particular, because they always strike first have a high weapon skill ( and swordmastersWs6, 2 attacks each ) , wound on 3's or 2's and will remove your entire armoursave.
Like someone once said; hammerers are a sponge, they absorb the enemy impact and grind them in the turns of combat after that. When using their hammers they will always strike last and against more elite enemy units you will find that nearly all your hammerers in the first rank have been cut down.
Ironbreakers are a brick wall, stop the enemy charge, and suffer as less casualties as possible, while being quite good at combat too. But they aren't stubborn.
-Try and free space for at least one organ gun, every list needs one
Do look at the points, if he wants an organgun he needs to remove the bolt throwers or an entire block of longbeards. And while organ guns are awesome they are also a bit unreliable and you can't be sure how good they will perform the game. They are also likely to explode, like my own organ gun exploded yesterday in turn 1, and has rolled nothing but 2's and 4's ( and almost always a 2 on the reroll as well... how lame ye dice gods ) the last half dozen games, while before I always rolled 8 and 10.
-Maybe another unit of 10 quarrellers besides your thunderers, now you have a well rounded force.
Point issue once more, but I use a unit of 10 quarrelers with great weapons and champion ( and sometimes the ranger rule ) to give my battleline more punch and flank enemies that are fighting my blocks, or at the very least cause a goo number of casualties. They are good at killing ogres and giants too, because those have low WS and T4 or T5, which is quite do-able for a bunch Str5 dwarfs.
some considerations on your points for consideration, considering.. :)

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
some considerations on your points for consideration, considering.. :)
Hammerers are better whatever the situation. If you've got a lord, you need hammerers. Their rules are much better than just a bit of extra armour save. They're basically the only high strength and stubborn unit you will have, whereas Ironbreakers are just like modified warriors...

Also, there's too many combat blocks in this list. Needs some more shooting otherwise fast, magicky or more shooty armies will run circles around you all game.

ALWAYS include an organ gun. It goes without saying, you can have bad luck with anything but the organ gun is a must have, it's easily the best Dwarf war machine - nuff said. Up to 10 armour piercing shots into an enemy? YES!

Please bear in mind I have been playing Dwarfs since 2002, too :beer:

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Please bear in mind I have been playing Dwarfs since 2002, too :beer:
Well... My name is in the title! :arrogant:

And rules change. How did the organ gun work in previous editions?

An organ gun can be very effective, especially against armies that like to elude your blocks like wood elves or lots of skink skirmishers, but you cannot really base your strategy or a part of your strategy around it because it is uncertain how effective it will be that game.

I do hope they don't epicly nerf the organ gun in next edition. If they need to roll to hit then I think most people won't take it any more. Why take a BS3 warmachine with uncertain numbers of shots when you can have some thunderers with +1 to hit for a little bit more.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
I do hope they don't epicly nerf the organ gun in next edition. If they need to roll to hit then I think most people won't take it any more. Why take a BS3 warmachine with uncertain numbers of shots when you can have some thunderers with +1 to hit for a little bit more.
They will probably have to, along with the anvil. It's not a metal model so it won't be good -> GW make more money from buffed flame cannon. Anyway, I have 2 organ guns so it will be annoying if they are nerfed, they are seriously fun and have always been my most killy warmachines - especially good at holding a flank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.