Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I want to paint a 1500 points army of CSM in a very fast -- the fastes way, because it is my 5th army and the others still need attention as well:sinister:
I am an experienced painter and know about dipping, drybrushing ... So I am asking for color schemes and techniques that, combined, give good results and speed

I would prefer some white rusty color scheme but even more a painted army!

What I think:
1. coat the miniatures white
2. put some light brown and orange stripes for the rust
3. some bonecolor for horns and metal painted for bolters ans stuff
4. add brown color to shoulder pads (color scheme: white/brown)
5. Fanatic Army Painter to make it look cool from 30 cm

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Might be a little bit more involved than you want.. but you could use the FW weathering powders and white spirit method..

I haven't personally done this.. but the effect of sprinkling the powder and then using white spirit to blend them together looked cool

It might give you the effect your looking for.. the rust that they show in the Modelling Master-class book looks absolutely real..

Forge World MODELLING SUPPLIES
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/weathering-powders.pdf

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
Wow, sorry to go off topic but the weathering powders look terrible. Well the first model they did looked great, the other two were disgusting.

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
Wow, sorry to go off topic but the weathering powders look terrible. Well the first model they did looked great, the other two were disgusting.
The forgeworld range only contains a few colours. Imagine if you only had 6 colours to paint with! It would be very limiting.

What I think:
1. coat the miniatures white
2. put some light brown and orange stripes for the rust
3. some bonecolor for horns and metal painted for bolters ans stuff
4. add brown color to shoulder pads (color scheme: white/brown)
5. Fanatic Army Painter to make it look cool from 30 cm
I would suggest...

Mixing the browns with tin bitz and blazing orange. This will give that slightly metallic feel to the area.

Dan

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
A common trick (that I'm keen to try soon) involves mixing a wash of some sort of dark brown and GW's blazing Orange. If you have it, mixing the orange with Devlan Mud would do. Next, soak it in glaze medium, if you have it. Then, paint some gentle "stripes." Multiple coats = stronger rusty tone.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
That looks excellent.. really looking forward to seeing others.. and I also agree that white chaos marines do have a certain something about them

Interestingly, regarding weathering powders, I noticed today in my fave hobby shop that Tamiya make a range of weathering powders and pens.. It looks like they come in sets of 3 complementary colours in what can only be described as things that look like my wife's eye shaddow compacts

Many tank type rust / dirt / grim colours that look like they would work really well ..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are amazing, of course! But the level is a little too high what what I planned.

Even my simple scheme takes more time than I expected. 6 are more or less done, with emphasis on less-.-

Jump packs and weapons need silver brushing. Armour needs some details and the rust effect is the last step. I hope I can post pics after tomorrow!

Thanks for your encourgement!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.