Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a chaos player, and the only other guy in my area plays tyranids. The problem is that every time we play, he only wins when I "slip up" and do stupid things like let him charge my obliterators with 12 genestealers. I was wondering if there was any advice I could give him to improve his game a bit--it insults his intelligence when I dumb down my playing.

I've got a pretty fast army: I use 2 groups of bikes with plasmas to outrun and take potshots at his carnifexes, while my oblits and havocs deal with his rank and file troops. I use some tzeench'ed marines to form a resilient battle line, and I have 2 infliltrating tac squads to break up his formations. I usually keep 10 or 12 Khornies behind my front lines to counterattack anything that gets through my defenses. I've found that my chaos lords don't ever prove crucial, so I usually keep one pretty cheap, and just let the sheer amount of guns whittle down his numbers.

He's got a pretty high cost army. He uses a tyrant with guard and 2 carnies to spearhead his attacks. For troops he mostly uses Genestealers--he learned how much more effective rending is against things with 3+ armor saves. He'll throw out raveners, biovores, some warriors, and a lictor on occasion. He just got a broodlord, and he uses it fairly well. I can stop it before it gets to my juicy bits, but it takes all of my attention. Any hints I could drop would be appreciated--close games are so much more fun than blowouts.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It sounds like you're able to take down a lot of his numbers, so maybe lots of spinegunats or hormies to back up the stealers could do well. For his tryrant, it's is it cc or shooty? IF it's got guards it's best for shooty. I prefer a cc tyrant with wings, warpfiled, 2X scything talons and a few extra upgrades. It's great for handling a squad of marines (good or bad ones), especially with toxin sacs, it can take out half a squad on the charge.

By the sounds of it, his fex's are cc oriented. Although they are decent, shooty ones prove to be good also. VC and BS with ES and extended carapace tends to do well, although with your bikes, EC probbaly isn't worth it.

I'm a big fan of cc warriors, so some with ST and RC, leaping, EC and Ag-I could be handy. It's also improtant to choose the right targets with his units. With the lictors, instead of going for the beserkers or another squad where it could be beaten in cc, a squad of havocs or maybe obliterators are much better options. Basically numbers over quality is good, but synapse is needed for the numbers. Hope this helped. If you want to try somehting different try swapping armies one week, although if you beat him with his own army he might not take it too well, but it's your call.

BTW welcome to LO, Enjoy your stay.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Every time I see someone say "Quantity over Quality" indiscriminantly, I cry. My 2000 point tyranid list is only 55 models, yet is quite successful...

·
Registered
382 Posts
GeekSlayer said:
I'm a chaos player, and the only other guy in my area plays tyranids. The problem is that every time we play, he only wins when I "slip up" and do stupid things like let him charge my obliterators with 12 genestealers. I was wondering if there was any advice I could give him to improve his game a bit--it insults his intelligence when I dumb down my playing.

I've got a pretty fast army: I use 2 groups of bikes with plasmas to outrun and take potshots at his carnifexes, while my oblits and havocs deal with his rank and file troops. I use some tzeench'ed marines to form a resilient battle line, and I have 2 infliltrating tac squads to break up his formations. I usually keep 10 or 12 Khornies behind my front lines to counterattack anything that gets through my defenses. I've found that my chaos lords don't ever prove crucial, so I usually keep one pretty cheap, and just let the sheer amount of guns whittle down his numbers.

He's got a pretty high cost army. He uses a tyrant with guard and 2 carnies to spearhead his attacks. For troops he mostly uses Genestealers--he learned how much more effective rending is against things with 3+ armor saves. He'll throw out raveners, biovores, some warriors, and a lictor on occasion. He just got a broodlord, and he uses it fairly well. I can stop it before it gets to my juicy bits, but it takes all of my attention. Any hints I could drop would be appreciated--close games are so much more fun than blowouts.
When I loose to Chaos...it's because of las cannons. Get as many as you can to take out his synapse. Wtih AP 2 and such a high str., it shouldn't be too hard. 1 squad of Oblits can take out a Tyrant or 2 preds maxed out in las cannons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, in our game last night my buddy finally managed to beat me. He dropped both of his carnifexes and threw about 30 scuttling genestealers, with an infiltrating group on top of that. He also discovered the very important "obliterators hate warp blast" rule. The fact that I only got 1 kill the entire game with 6 plasma guns didn't hurt, either. Unfortunately, that trick will only work once--the next time he tries it, I'll be ready.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just my thoughts...

I would honestly suggest more the "tough love" approach, if you "give" him the game you are really not being to much help other then going easy on his ego. After you play talk about the game, what really worked in your mind and what didn't. Asking what he thought about your force, what gave him troubles what did he think was to easy to deal with. Perhaps I would go with gradients of difficulty, go easy on him at first then build up the pressure as you play more. This will either get him to step up to the challenge of not, I guess that really depends on how his character is.

But I think that if you guys talk about the game how it went, what both of you would have done differently, what troops would really helped out your force, ect. It will show that your just pasting him because you can, but rather you are trying to help both of your games improve. One point I cant stress enough is don't be a sore winner, and be earnest in your suggestions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brother_Durrant said:
But I think that if you guys talk about the game how it went, what both of you would have done differently, what troops would really helped out your force, ect. It will show that your just pasting him because you can, but rather you are trying to help both of your games improve. One point I cant stress enough is don't be a sore winner, and be earnest in your suggestions.
That's what I'm trying to do. I don't go easy on him, and the problem lies in my improving each game, just as he does. As he learns my capabilities, I learn his. We both get better, but the gap never seems to close. I figured he could use some sneaky tyranid tricks to give him a little boost. He whipped me pretty bad last night, which is a first, so I suppose it's working. Now that I know he's capable, I can really let him have it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts