Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it easier to just spray and paint certain small detailed parts while they are still on the frame thing??

Then glue them when dry??

Any tips would be appreciated.

edit: Please refrain from using net speak on LO, it makes everyones life much easier reading clear english...
Thanks! -t.

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
There's an entire painting section in this forum here:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/painting/

Although, my opinion as I've been recently modelling alot as I just started playing 40k, is:

1) Remove the pieces from the sprue with some close cutting clippers or a hobby knife.

2) Clean the pieces. Meaning sand, file, or scrape the mold lines or any flash from the piece. As a beginner I do not sand or file, I use the hobby knife and I gently scrape the mold lines off. holding the hobby knife angled away from me pulling across the mold line until smooth.

3) Partially construct the model. Glue the legs to the base, torso pieces together, then onto the legs, then any straight or reaching arms. Essentially, all the pieces that don't obstruct the painting of other pieces.

4) Prime and/or basecoat all the pieces. Usually with a spray flat black color or primer, spray the model on the base. And the remaining smaller pieces, paint with black. Let dry.

5) Starting with your majority used color, paint all the pieces with that color, in any detailed areas some pre planning may be needed, to see if you can paint smaller bits then drybrush over. I tend to save the metallic painting for last, but thats just a preference.

Hope these way beginner's view points help a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's an entire painting section in this forum here:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/painting/

Although, my opinion as I've been recently modelling alot as I just started playing 40k, is:

1) Remove the pieces from the sprue with some close cutting clippers or a hobby knife.

2) Clean the pieces. Meaning sand, file, or scrape the mold lines or any flash from the piece. As a beginner I do not sand or file, I use the hobby knife and I gently scrape the mold lines off. holding the hobby knife angled away from me pulling across the mold line until smooth.

3) Partially construct the model. Glue the legs to the base, torso pieces together, then onto the legs, then any straight or reaching arms. Essentially, all the pieces that don't obstruct the painting of other pieces.

4) Prime and/or basecoat all the pieces. Usually with a spray flat black color or primer, spray the model on the base. And the remaining smaller pieces, paint with black. Let dry.

5) Starting with your majority used color, paint all the pieces with that color, in any detailed areas some pre planning may be needed, to see if you can paint smaller bits then drybrush over. I tend to save the metallic painting for last, but thats just a preference.

Hope these way beginner's view points help a little.
Thanks I like that idea of half building the models first!!8Y

Big help cheers mate, so basically it's fine to paint bits and glue them on once dried, right?

edit: Again, please try and use correct punctuation and grammar if at all possible, as per the LO rules. Thanks, -t.

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
thanks i like that idea of half building the models first!!8Y

big help cheeers m8 so basically it fine to paint bits and glue thm on once dried right
Well, the answer I've found is its easier to basecoat an entire piece. Then scrape off the flat area where pieces will be glued. I find the glue holds better if the piece is dropped or anything. the latter half of my models are being glued plastic to plastic for strength, as I've had some Space Marine explosions when they've fallen onto the tile floor.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I like to have a model all in one piece when I'm painting it but if there is some thing that would get in the way (like shields) then I'll paint it seperately.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, the answer I've found is its easier to basecoat an entire piece. Then scrape off the flat area where pieces will be glued. I find the glue holds better if the piece is dropped or anything. the latter half of my models are being glued plastic to plastic for strength, as I've had some Space Marine explosions when they've fallen onto the tile floor.
I tend to have some blu tak around for masking the areas where i will glue arms later. Just an alternative to having to scrape off the undercoat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts